Trouble TTC

Ladies who just did IVF...

SO DH and I just had our consult and need to make a decision. My RE normally does 2 embies on day 3 and 1 embie on day 5.  He said that sometimes he does 2 embies on day 3 and 2 on day 5.  I dont know which way to go. My gut is telling me to put in 2 embies on either day (depending on what we make it to). I just dont know what to think or do.

Can you guys let me know what you did? How many embies and on what day? Thank you so much in advance!!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ladies who just did IVF...

• We did 2 embies on day 5 with our first IVF which was a BFN.  This time we will probably do 2 embies on day 5 again.  Although, since we have one failed cycle, we might ask to transfer 3 (if we have them).  It is such a tough decision!  Good luck!

With the day 3 versus day 5 part, I am relying on my RE.  He has great success rates (part of why I chose him) and he pretty much always does day 5 transfers.  We only had 3 embies and made it to a day 5 transfer with our first cycle.

imageimage

~SAIF/PAIF/Everyone Welcome~ 

Me= 37 and DH = 41 

Dx: DOR, Endo, APA+ (really high beta 2 glycoprotein antibody and high everything else tested), heterozygous MTHFR mutation, positive for lupus anticoagulant, high FSH, low AMH and both tubes blocked (per HSG on 3/8/11)

IVF #1 - long lupron (with HGH, intralipids, lovenox and BA); 4 retrieved, 3 fertilized; ET 2 blasts and 1 frozen = BFN

IVF #2 - a version of antagonist with EPP (with HGH, intralipids, lovenox and BA); 6 retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized, 2 blasts and 1 frozen blast transferred on day 5 = BFN.

IVF #3 April was postponed to May, May was canceled. June/July was canceled. Had a cyst aspiration and then began IVF #3 in August. ER on 8/22; ET on 8/24 with AH. +HPT on 9/5. Beta #1 (11dpo) = 3; Beta #2 (15dpo) = 29; Beta #3 (17dpo) = 60; Beta #4 (19 dpo) = 118. Heartbeat at 6 weeks 6 days =132.  Lil is here!

TTC#2:  Trigger + TI = BFN; Clomid + Trigger + IUI = BFN.

IVF #4:  BCP + MDLF + Lovenox = 7R, 1F = Transferred 1 6-cell embryo on day 3 = BFN

IVF #5:  MDLF + Lovenox = 4R, 1F = Transferred 1 10-cell compacting embryo on day 3 = BFN

IVF #6:  (New RE):  Long Antagonist November 2014 (transferred two 8 cell grade 1 embryos and froze one blast) = BFN

FET#1:  BFN

• imageSTL34:

We did 2 embies on day 5 with our first IVF which was a BFN.  This time we will probably do 2 embies on day 5 again.  Although, since we have one failed cycle, we might ask to transfer 3 (if we have them).  It is such a tough decision!  Good luck!

With the day 3 versus day 5 part, I am relying on my RE.  He has great success rates (part of why I chose him) and he pretty much always does day 5 transfers.  We only had 3 embies and made it to a day 5 transfer with our first cycle.

STL, thank you so much for letting me know what you did. It is so confusing and overwhelming. DH just kept looking at me like he had no idea what to do. The 3 vs 5 is super confusing and like you, Im letting my RE decide on that one since he knows what he is doing.

Thanks again for sharing. Best of luck on this IVF cycle! Im crossing my fingers for you!!!

• Loading the player...
  • imageMaddie753:
    imageSTL34:

We did 2 embies on day 5 with our first IVF which was a BFN.  This time we will probably do 2 embies on day 5 again.  Although, since we have one failed cycle, we might ask to transfer 3 (if we have them).  It is such a tough decision!  Good luck!

Thanks!  IVF is very intimidating.  It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be (other than the cost and getting a BFN with IVF #1).  You just take everythin one step at a time.  However, the number of embryos to transfer should definitely be discussed in advance!

The way I look at it is if you and your DH are willing to have twins and there is no reason you could not carry twins, then why not transfer 2.  If you do not want twins or there is a reason that you should not/could not carry twins, then you should transfer 1.  You also need to consider that either way you could end up with more than you transfer.  IVF increases the chances of having an embryo split.  So, if you have concerns with ending up with triplets, then you may want to factor that into your decision, too.

Also, talk to your RE about what he considers your likelihood of success with a single embryo transfer versus a double embryo transfer.  At many clinics the likelihood of success doesn't greatly increase by transferring 2, but the number of twins does!

STL, thank you so much for letting me know what you did. It is so confusing and overwhelming. DH just kept looking at me like he had no idea what to do. The 3 vs 5 is super confusing and like you, Im letting my RE decide on that one since he knows what he is doing.

Thanks again for sharing. Best of luck on this IVF cycle! Im crossing my fingers for you!!!

imageimage

~SAIF/PAIF/Everyone Welcome~ 

Me= 37 and DH = 41 

Dx: DOR, Endo, APA+ (really high beta 2 glycoprotein antibody and high everything else tested), heterozygous MTHFR mutation, positive for lupus anticoagulant, high FSH, low AMH and both tubes blocked (per HSG on 3/8/11)

IVF #1 - long lupron (with HGH, intralipids, lovenox and BA); 4 retrieved, 3 fertilized; ET 2 blasts and 1 frozen = BFN

IVF #2 - a version of antagonist with EPP (with HGH, intralipids, lovenox and BA); 6 retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized, 2 blasts and 1 frozen blast transferred on day 5 = BFN.

IVF #3 April was postponed to May, May was canceled. June/July was canceled. Had a cyst aspiration and then began IVF #3 in August. ER on 8/22; ET on 8/24 with AH. +HPT on 9/5. Beta #1 (11dpo) = 3; Beta #2 (15dpo) = 29; Beta #3 (17dpo) = 60; Beta #4 (19 dpo) = 118. Heartbeat at 6 weeks 6 days =132.  Lil is here!

TTC#2:  Trigger + TI = BFN; Clomid + Trigger + IUI = BFN.

IVF #4:  BCP + MDLF + Lovenox = 7R, 1F = Transferred 1 6-cell embryo on day 3 = BFN

IVF #5:  MDLF + Lovenox = 4R, 1F = Transferred 1 10-cell compacting embryo on day 3 = BFN

IVF #6:  (New RE):  Long Antagonist November 2014 (transferred two 8 cell grade 1 embryos and froze one blast) = BFN

FET#1:  BFN

• We did two embies on day 5 and they both took. 
    TTC since 07/2009
    Me: PCOS, Blood/Immune Issues DH: Low all 3
    Jun.- Sep. 2010 IUI#1-#3 = BFN
    Oct. 2010 = IVF #1 = B/G Twins (passed away Feb. 2011)
    May 2011 = Myomectomy and trans-abdominal cerclage (TAC)
    Sep. 2011 = Surprise BFP = C/P
    Feb. 2012 = sFET #1 = BFN
    Feb.2012 = Hail Mary IUI #4 = BFN
    April/May 2012 = FET #2 w/our last two embies = BFP (Please let this be it!)
    Beta #1 8dp5/6dt = 234 Beta #2 10dp5/6dt = 695 Beta #3 12dp5/6dt = 1796 Beta #4 17dp5/6dt = 17,888 U/S #1 May 17, 2012 = Twins
    Baby B's heart stop beating at 9 weeks 5 days
    Our little miracle baby is a boy. :)

Baby Boy Owen and Baby Girl Avery were born too early on Feb. 13, 2011 due to a pedunculated fibroid, incompetent cervix and suspected placental abruption.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

"What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose." - Henry Ward Beecher
    SAIF/PAIF Welcome
    Lots of love and luck to my PAIF/3T/IF Veteran ladies, especially my dear friend Zookie. Congrats to Papps, Teach84 and Starbuck on their little ones.
  • I didn't just do IVF, but you had SAIF so I thought I could comment.

I transferred 2 on day 5 and only one took. If you feel comfortable with two, then do it.

Good luck hon ;)

IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• We transferred one blast on day 5 because we wanted to minimize our chance of twins.

• This was not an easy decision.  I think that it is one of the most important decisions you will have to make during your ivf.  you have to weigh in a few factors 1)  you must be willing to care for twins, it is double the cost and double the responsibility don't put back more than you can take care of  2) twins can be a very risky pregnancy for the mother and child- I think that people tend to overlook this and feel that a twin pregnancy is just like a singleton when in reality most twin babies spend time in the NICU and are at risk for pre term delivery.   3) and this may not even be a factor for you but it was for me...   most clinic require you to have at least 5 embryos growing strongly on day 3 in order to push to a day 5-  we had no choice and did a day 3.  4) you chance of success does increase with 2 vs 1 embryos to transfer

all that being said we transferred 2 on both of our ivf cycles, that was all we had.  one good and one fair.  ivf #1 neither took so ivf #2 we again put both back........ beta tomorrow 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am glad you posted this. I am going back and forth with my decision every day.

If we do a Day 5, I am about 90% sure we will just do 1. If it's a 3 day though, I am torn. 

Taking the Scenic Route
    FET: Success! Beta at 14dp5dt: 2427 TWINS!!
  • Our RE likes to do 3dt for all first IVF cycles, so we did 2 embies on a 3dt. Depending on response/success, etc.  they will consider a 5dt the next cycle.  Many RE's have their own preference and strongly lean one way or the other towards which protocol they want to do.  I would definitely ask your RE for their input.  My RE likes to do the 3dt because more will survive when they are put into the uterus earlier, rather than later.  There are also advantages to doing 5dt as well.  Good luck with your decision!

• Thanks Ladies!

STL- Thanks again, you def made some great points. I appreciate the response. Good luck to you on ER/ET!!

Mdluv- Congrats again! I missed your twins post!! How are you feeling?

BBcolt- Thanks for responding. Congrats to you! H&H9 =)

Rebelina- I remember you have some good follies this cycle, best of luck to you!

Dee- Isnt this so hard to figure out? Ugh. Best of luck to you on what you decide. Let me know what you plan on doing

Ltmamma- A, You have some very good points. Thank you for responding and crossing my fingers for a high beta!!

Jill- Congrats on your BFP!!! I was away for Thanksgiving and missed your announcement. Best of luck on beta #2 =)

• We are in the process right now but when we filled out the documents my RE had us indicate 1 or 2 depending on the quality. The embryologists will talk to you at transfer and let you know their recommendations for number depending ont he quality of the embryos you have at the time. Good luck with your decision!
    after 2+ years, 3 failed IUIs, 2 failed IVFs with a c/p
    IVF#3 brought us our miracle baby girl on June 26, 2012

imageimageimage

• We transferred 2 embies on day 5 and got a BFN.

For our second cycle my RE wants to transfer 3 embies on day 3 to switch it up.

Last cycle we were planning a 3dt but it got pushed to a 5dt. We have always been set on 3 embies for a 3dt and 2 for 5dt so our RE's opinion is right on target with our wishes. I am young but we want to be as aggressive as possible especially since 2 blasts didn't even give us a BFP.

Best of luck!

• Just to add...my RE almost always does a 3dt but my 5 embryos were looking "so perfect" we were pushed to a 5dt. 4 made it (transferred 2, froze 2).  It is such a hard decision but I think you'll find what's right for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"