1st Trimester
Options

When To Tell Work?

This is my first pregnancy, so I am not sure as to what the appropriate/proper time is to tell work. I really don't want to tell them earlier than necessary, but I want to do the appropriate/professional thing. So, when do you all tell your employers?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When To Tell Work?

• Options
    I told at 7 weeks b/c this is my second and my belly is rather noticeable plus it was getting hard to come up with excuses of why I had to run out of meetings to use the bathroom 3 or 4 times (darn morning sickness).
  • Options
    I want to wait until I have my first u/s but with 2 Christmas parties coming up I don't know how I'm going to avoid the side eye when everyone sees I'm not drinking.  I'm considering carrying a beer around with me but not actually drinking it.

Me: 32  H: 34
    DS #1: 8/10/11,  DS #2: 10/13/14
    TTC #3 since October 2017

• Loading the player...
  • Options

It depends on a lot of things. Particularly whether there is anything about your job (or your pregnancy) that will require changes and special accommodations. How long you intend to be on maternity leave -- or if you even plan to return at all -- also makes a difference in how much advance notice they will require. Consider as well whether they will need to bring someone new in to cover your absence, whether an existing coworker will need to be trained on certain things, etc.

There can also be a difference between when you tell HR/management and when coworkers find out. Depends on the dynamics of the office and how much confidentiality is actually available.

• Options

From your name...I'm guessing you a nurse?? =) I am a nurse in the ICU, therefore there is a lot of physical and weight bearing work. My plan is to select a few trustworthy close co-workers who will kinda be my special helpers (helping me roll pts, moving them up in bed, etc.). It will eventually come up that they will inevitably assign me a pt in pregnancy precautions, or a pt with TB or something that I can't take, therefore I will have to come out and tell them.

I understand with the Christmas parties, I was planning on doing the exact same thing, just carry around a beer bottle with a smidgin left in the bottle, I just have to remember not to accidentally drink it! agh!

Good luck everyone!

• Options
    I told one of my bosses because he would wonder why I was running into the bathroom all the time in the morning, as well as having to leave for appointments. I know he can cover for me with everyone else. Hopefully I will be able to hold off on telling people until the end of January.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I am 6 weeks along and I just told my boss today that I am pregnant. Like you, at first I was going to wait because I wanted to make sure everything was good with the pregnancy...but I had some unexpected doctors appointments that I could not lie about. I was getting really stressed thinking about if I was to get morning sickness, or feel tired during the day, how would I explain that to my boss without telling them I am pregnant. 

So all-in-all I would say to just be up front....it will be more stress free for you if you get it out of the way now....

Just my opinion...good luck!!! 

• Options
    I'm planning to tell my boss next week.  I could probably wait a little bit longer but there are a couple things at work I need to avoid doing so it will be easier to share the news now.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm not showing (at least not yet), so we are going to try and wait to tell my office until after the 1st trimester. It has worked ok, because my morning sickness hasn't been too bad, until the last 2 days. Plus my office is fairly relaxed if you need to leave early/come in late due to appointments. Hopefully I can stick it out.

We will, however, be telling my boss next week... because I work for my dad! That should help as well. You might consider letting your supervisor know, if not the whole office, so that you don't get the evil eye when you have to run to the bathroom or take a long lunch due to an appt.

• Options
    I would wait as long as possible -- think Katherine Heigl in "Knocked Up". With baby 1, I thought I needed to tell my boss b/c I was not feeling well b/c of morning sickness and I told her around 10 weeks. Everything was fine for a month and then I started being pushed out; my "work product was excellent" but suddenly I needed to go. The only thing that changed was I was pg. My former company, a health care consulting firm, is on all of these "Best Places to Work" lists, but my experience showed me that you can't assume you won't face workplace/pg discrimination. There was no smoking gun so I couldn't sue, but my lawyer said she could tell they were forcing me out b/c I was pg.
  • Options
    I won't tell before it's obvious.  I'd love to wait until 20 weeks or beyond again, but I'm sure I'll be showing before them.  20 weeks is plenty of time for them to make arrangements for my leave.
  • Options
    I am waiting until after the new year or possibly longer. I guess it depends on what kind of job you have too.  For me, I work at a non profit organization where we have a huge conference in Sept - which I believe will be during my maternity leave if I can swing the 12 weeks. I have a enormous role in ensuring the conference runs smoothly so I will put together a very detailed work plan to cover all areas of my job while I am out.  I also know that the sooner I tell my boss, she will get nervous and start stressing so I'd like to alleviate any tension that may occur by having a very thorough work plan to present. I figure once my boss knows she will bug me a lot to make sure I've got all my bases covered. If I take time in preparing my work plan and give very detailed info that will be better for me and also show her that I take my job very seriously and plan to return after maternity leave. GL and congrats!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageWeichbrodt:

I am 6 weeks along and I just told my boss today that I am pregnant. Like you, at first I was going to wait because I wanted to make sure everything was good with the pregnancy...but I had some unexpected doctors appointments that I could not lie about. I was getting really stressed thinking about if I was to get morning sickness, or feel tired during the day, how would I explain that to my boss without telling them I am pregnant. 

So all-in-all I would say to just be up front....it will be more stress free for you if you get it out of the way now....

Just my opinion...good luck!!! 

I feel the same way.  I told my boss and supervisor to be stress free. they are really excited for me and I know will keep it top secret until I feel like telling my co-workers. I'm an up front person and do not want to be sneaking around going to the doctor or being mysteriously sick. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'm going to wait until my second trimester, so at least 13 weeks.  That's plenty of time for work to make arragements.
    imageimage

BFP #1 EDD 08/07/11 DS born 07/27/11 Welcome Mr. Smiley!
    BFP #2 05/28/12 EDD 02/03/13 Natural M/C 07/14/12 10w6d
    BFP #3 10/02/12 EDD 06/11/13 Please stick baby! Stick!

Sunshine_zps3fcf529f Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

13w for me.

If you have a need to tell (exposure to radiation at work, heavy lifting at work, etc.), tell sooner. But if not, there is no reason to tell employers until 2nd tri.

I disagree with the "tell them so you're not stressed" advice. I think it would be much more stressful to have to go through a loss with everyone that you work with giving you puppy-dog eyes all day. Also, I went through 7 weeks of very bad m/s before telling my bosses and only missed one day of work because of it - millions of women work through m/s and "being tired." I didn't feel like I deserved special treatment and I didn't need to tell my boss so he/she could feel bad for me - I was responsible and toughed it out. But hey, to each her own.

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I told my HR manager when I was 7 weeks. The position I'm in requires training. If I didn't really need any coverage I would have waited until 2nd trimester.
  • Options
    I am waiting until 13 weeks until January. My boss is out of the country most of the month.
  • Options

imageSarah053009:
     I feel the same way.  I told my boss and supervisor to be stress free. they are really excited for me and I know will keep it top secret until I feel like telling my co-workers. I'm an up front person and do not want to be sneaking around going to the doctor or being mysteriously sick. 

It's fine if you're comfortable telling your supervisors. But there is not actually anything sneaky about keeping mum on your dr appts. If you're filling out the leave slips honestly, it's no one's business why exactly you're going, regardless of how often. Plenty of employees have chronic illnesses or temporarily go through something that requires many visits and do not have to tell anyone anything that they don't want to.

It is not dishonest. It's just private. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"