TTC after 35
Options

can someone explain to me...

why the surge matters?  I know I need to do my homework and read more about this but I just thought that you take the OPK, and if its positive, then you know you are going to O in the next 1-2 days and should have sex...lots of sex. Stick out tongue 

But if you're testing multiple times a day, the line gets darker....does that mean you are even closer to ovulating and need to have sex right away? 

Me-38, DH - 48 | DD born 3/17/10 | BFP 4/29/11 - M/C 5/31/11 Blighted Ovum | BFP 12/18/11 CP - 12/27/11 | Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: can someone explain to me...

• Options
    OPKs don't work the same as pregnancy test. With an OPK test a line isn't a line. The line HAS to be as dark or darker than the test line. So If you have a line come out that is lighter than the test line you haven't gotten too, or possibly missed, your surge; In otherwords, its negative. This Is why ladies test multiple times. HTH!
  • Options

Thanks Chicken!  Ok so when the line is darker than the test line, THEN it means you're going to O in the next day or so?

I took tests yesterday and the day before and the line was very very very faint...tonight there was nothing.  Does that mean I caught the tail end of it and now its passed?

Me-38, DH - 48 | DD born 3/17/10 | BFP 4/29/11 - M/C 5/31/11 Blighted Ovum | BFP 12/18/11 CP - 12/27/11 | Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagejarbatz:

Thanks Chicken!  Ok so when the line is darker than the test line, THEN it means you're going to O in the next day or so?

I took tests yesterday and the day before and the line was very very very faint...tonight there was nothing.  Does that mean I caught the tail end of it and now its passed?

Do you chart your temps too? On an OPK the line has to be as dark as or darker than the test line. It could be that you missed your surge or that you haven't had it yet. I've read that woman can have some small level of the hormones detected in a surge pretty much at any time but before ovulation there is a "surge" to prepare for ovulation (which is why the line has to be as dark as or darker on the test line for an OPK to be positive.) Some women use an OPK at different times during the day so they don't miss the surge. I buy these internet cheapies on Amazon:

https://tinyurl.com/3am7qkr

Also, women can surge and get a positive OPK but may not necessarily ovulate. I suggest charting your temps in addition to using OPK's because this is the only way really to know if you are in fact ovulating. The OPK can detect your surge before ovulation so you know when to time having sex, but only your temps will tell if you actually ovulated. After ovulation there is a rise in your body temperature. You'll need a Basal body thermometer which can be bought at most drug stores and you need to take your temp at the same exact time every day and take it before you get out of bed upon waking for accurate results.

You may want to look into the many tutorials on www.fertilityfriend.com if you have not already done so for more info. This website also has a template to track your temps on too.

It's a lot of info and can be very frustrating, I know! HTH!

• Options
    I always have a faint line until my surge and I've had a couple days where there was no line whatsoever.  If you're still early in your cycle, you probably haven't had your surge yet.  I would suggest testing twice a day so that you don't miss it.
  • Options
    I know this isn't exactly what you're asking, but anyway: what I've read suggests that once the line is as dark or darker than the test line, you should stop testing -- it means the surge has started and there's no point in further testing as it will only confuse things.  Go for it once you've got a positive! (For me, I finally go so fed up with reading lines that I switched to the Clear Blue digital, where either you get a Smile or you don't).
    me - 41 (dx: DOR); DH - 53 (no problems); 7/18/09 - married!; 8/4/09 - BFP on first (real)try; 9/14/09 - missed m/c; 9/15/09 - d&c; 11/09 - 3/10 - 4 natural cycles = BFN; 4/10 - dx hyperthyroidism caused by Graves' disease; 6/10 - thyroidectomy; 7/10 - 12/10 - 1 natural and 5 medicated IUI cycles = BFN; 1/11 - new RE; dx low ovarian reserve (AMH .42; 1/26/11 -- BFP (ectopic) from IUI #6; methotrexate 2/10/11; 6/2/11 - IVF #1 = BFN; 9/12/11 - prescreening for DE; 9/15/11 - IUI #7 (unmedicated)= BFN; 11/8 - begin DE cycle (shared risk program); 12/5 - ER (5 eggs/4 mature/3 fertilized/2 left by day 5) 12/10 - ET of one 1BB blast (expanded, "fair" quality), none to freeze; 12/22 - totally shocked by +hpt; beta #1 = 413; #2 = 3952 2/14 - CVS reveals a healthy baby girl! EDD: 8/27/12 DD born 8/31/12, 10 lbs 10 oz and perfect in every way. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"