1st Trimester
Options

CVS Test

Hi All- I'm 9 weeks and my doctor is suggesting that I talk to a genetics counselor regarding the CVS test since I will be 35 at the time of birth. Just hoping to get some insight on why/why you didnt get it done. thanks for  your help!

Re: CVS Test

• Options

I'm 39.   I didn't do this or the amnio even though they were offered to me directly due to my age.

I opted for the fully integrated screening first (1st and 2nd tri bloodwork + NT scan).    Our results from that came back at an extremely low risk level.   At that point I opted out of anything invasive.

TTC#1 Chart
    TTC#2 Chart
    IUI #1 - #4 (repronex trigger) = BFN
    IUI#5 on 10/28/2008 ** BFP 11/10/08 ** EDD 07/21/09 *** It's a GIRL (07/14/09) AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    med/treatment free BFP 06/28/10. EDD 03/05/11 *** GIRL #2 (02/23/11)
    beta#1 @ 17dpo = 1296 .... beta#2 @ 19dpo = 3034
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    it's the Bug and Baby Belle!
  • Options

We haven't decided yet but are probably leaning towards no.

I went to hell and back with testing my first pregnancy and while I'm all about being prepared there are some things I would have been better off never knowing.

Also, to be honest, I HATED the genetics counselor. Part of it was her and her scare tactic personality she'd then pass off as sickenly sweet. It was odd and I finally had to tell her I didn't want to talk to her anymore. While their job is information, they give you every worst case scenario you may or may not experience along with the actual truth mixed in.

I would have been much better off knowing the basics rather than crying myself to sleep over every scare tactic.

Basically, it's just not for me at all, but I see why people do it.

We'll see what the dr. suggests this time, but I'm leaning more towards asking for an early u/s and calling it a day.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was offered the CVS test, im only 29, my dr said she reccommends it to everyone since its just a simple blood test? Does it bring up alot of fears? as i am a bit of a hypocondriact and am even avoiding reading certain pregnancy books since i heard they were kinda fear/negative based!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imagecaraleeb:
    I was offered the CVS test, im only 29, my dr said she reccommends it to everyone since its just a simple blood test? Does it bring up alot of fears? as i am a bit of a hypocondriact and am even avoiding reading certain pregnancy books since i heard they were kinda fear/negative based!

It is not a simple blood test.  They take a sample of your placenta either vaginally or abdominally. 

OP: I would suggest an NT scan first and if there is any area of concern then I would do the CVS.  No need to go straight to CVS unless you want total certainty. Good luck!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imagecaraleeb:

It is not a simple blood test.  They take a sample of your placenta either vaginally or abdominally. 

OP: I would suggest an NT scan first and if there is any area of concern then I would do the CVS.  No need to go straight to CVS unless you want total certainty. Good luck!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm 36 and am starting with the Sequential screen, which is the NT Scan (ultrasound looking for DS markers) plus bloodwork.  If my results come up suspect, then I'll consider the CVS or amnio.  I'm just a little bit scared of those procedures even though I've heard they are quite safe with an experienced doc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"