Baby Names

I don't like Olive as a first name. Flame on?

Middle? Okay, sure.
Nickname? Of course!

Given first name?
Uhmn.. please don't. That's rude.

Confession: I can't believe people are serious when they recommend Olive as an alternative to Olivia because they're afraid of Olivia being too popular. Not just today, it's an almost daily thing here!

Are you Olive fans also a fan of Apple?  
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
PitaPata Cat tickers

Re: I don't like Olive as a first name. Flame on?

• Well then!  I also like Oliver!
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • Olive was a name DH had considered for this LO, but it never felt right and I will admit when I first heard it (I think for Isla Fisher's DD) I really didn't like it. I still don't know how I really feel about it, its not for me, but I don't hate it. Penelope took a long time to grow on me as well, used to hate it, I see its appeal now however.

• Loading the player...

• hahaha ;p I do love Oliver!

Just not.. Olive as an alternative to Olivia.  

ETA: I just can't understand how people can take it seriously. IT'S A FOOD! Same with Apple, too. I thought it was just a crazy celebrity thing, but then I started hearing about people naming their children Apple. Just regular people! Oh, my..

Honestly- Olive, Apple, and Nevaeh are all equal in my eyes. Unfortunate fad names.
    PitaPata Cat tickers
  • imageTysMomPlusOne:
    Olive was a name DH had considered for this LO, but it never felt right and I will admit when I first heard it (I think for Isla Fisher's DD) I really didn't like it. I still don't know how I really feel about it, its not for me, but I don't hate it. Penelope took a long time to grow on me as well, used to hate it, I see its appeal now however.

btw, if Holly wasn't my name I would totally use it.  I love my name!

Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • I'm not totally crazy about Olive either, but it seems like a different ballpark than Apple.  They are both food, but Olive has been used a girl's name for a long time.  I don't know of any Apples other than Gywneth's.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • if we are picking condiment name can we name our children pickle, lemon, lime, celery stick. haha
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageazuremama:
    I'm not totally crazy about Olive either, but it seems like a different ballpark than Apple. They are both food, but Olive has been used a girl's name for a long time. I don't know of any Apples other than Gywneth's.

True.. and I guess Herb and Basil are accepted.. which is.. almost similar? haha But I volunteer at a child resource center frequented by teen moms with baby Apples. Some of them get a little shy or are immediately defensive when answering everyone's first question, "What's your baby's name?" :(

PitaPata Cat tickers
  • I am not a fan of it.
  • I agree with you.
  • Sorry, but I LOVE Olive! Olive is short for Olivia. Apple is short for ??? Nothing! Olive is just like Kate is short for Katie.

ETA - I hate Apple and I don't think Apple and Olive are in the same ballpark. Just my opinion. 

• I don't mind it. I wouldn't use it because it's not a "real" name in my native language the way Olivia is, but I think it's cute for English speakers. I don't equate Olive with Apple. There are plenty of noun names that I think have  currency, like Rose, Violet, Rosemary, Brooke, etc. I would put Olive in this category.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagedaenikoffre:

But I volunteer at a child resource center frequented by teen moms with baby Apples. Some of them get a little shy or are immediately defensive when answering everyone's first question, "What's your baby's name?" :(

It's one thing to be defensive about a name you had no choice in (like your own or like a very difficult to pronounce or spell last name), but if you're defensive about your own child's name, that's just wrong.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not sure how giving someone the name Olive is rude, but okay. My father had an Aunt Olive, so it doesn't seem new or strange to me. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Olive? Is this seriously a naming trend? I thought you mis-typed the subject line.

Maybe big sister is named Olive and little sister named Martini? I'm thinking that could work in certain households.....deeerrrrr...

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• imagefeffy11:

::eyeroll:: I hate posts that call out a particular name in order to hate on it.

There are plenty of food names that are appropriate as first names. Are you going to compare Alfredo, Ambrosia, Angus, Anise, Basil, Benedict, Caesar, Colby, Dill, Ginger, Graham, Juniper, Mace, Pepper, Rosemary, Sage, Sherry to Apple as well? Please.

This exactly!

• I don't know how you can compare Olive to Nevaeh?  Olive is well known classic name and Nevaeh is some made up mess of a name of the 2000's.  They are not in the same ballpark at all. 
  • Eh. Whatever. You have every right to not like a name.

I think it's lovely and cute. It's an old name, and it's perfectly legitimate. And to me, it's no weirder than naming a kid Ruby or Coral or Lily or Rose.

ETA: While I'm by no means an Apple fan, and would never use the name---seriously, why does everyone villify Gwyneth Paltrow over this name? I've heard much, MUCH worse---from celebrities and normal people alike. At least it's spelled correctly, and a real word. And it's not an unattractive name. I cringe more at the name Braxton or anything misspelled (Madisyn, anyone?) or made up than at Apple.

VOTE on my Name List

Pregnancy Ticker

• Actually, I do kind of like Apple (but would never use it). I went to school with girl named Apple Mae Frias, so it doesn't sound so strange to me. She was from the Phillipines- I have no idea why her parents named her Apple, but it seems like a name for a happy girl.  
  • Olive is a real, actual, legit name. Comparing it to Apple or Nevaeh is just ridiculous. 

Apple compares to the names of any of Bob Geldof's daughters (Peaches, Fifi, and Little Pixie), but certainly not Olive.  

• Olive is NMS, but it's simply that: not my style. It's a legit and classic name, just not one that I particularly care for.

I don't see how you can really compare it to Apple. As a pp pointed out, there are plenty of other legit food names. Apple is an odd celeb choice, but not one I've seen any others copying.

Comparing Olive to Nevaeh is just ridiculous.

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Olive is nms, but I think it's more of a classic name (like other pp's have said, Rose, Violet, Hazel, ect).  Apple and other noun names (Jett, Blue, ect) are much trendier
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Olive started becoming trendy after the movie Little Miss Sunshine, I think. I know an older lady named Olive though.
  • imagerobinadorno:
    Olive started becoming trendy after the movie Little Miss Sunshine, I think. I know an older lady named Olive though.
    I own this movie and totally forgot that she was named Olive! I really like the name but I don't want to get the eye roll when telling ppl that my daughter's name is Olive. Ugh
  • imagemelissa.1985:
    imagerobinadorno:
    Olive started becoming trendy after the movie Little Miss Sunshine, I think. I know an older lady named Olive though.
    I own this movie and totally forgot that she was named Olive! I really like the name but I don't want to get the eye roll when telling ppl that my daughter's name is Olive. Ugh

Emma became uber-trendy after Rachel on Friends used it...I don't think enough people have seen Little Miss Sunshine to make that connection.  

• i don't like olive.

i like olivia and oliver.

• Feel better? Stick out tongue

I understand the need to name vent sometimes, but I think you've seriously been holding it in for way too long.

Hahahahaha...rude huh...nah. You smell is rude. Your baby is going to end up with cola in her sippy cup because you're just that kind of mother is rude...naming your kid Olive? Not on the rudar (that's rude radar...cool huh?).

And remember, Olive the other reindeer. :)

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • I love Olive!  It's one I brought up this pregnancy but was shot down by my husband.  I could easily name a little girl Olive.  I like it much better than Olivia, even.  For me they're two very different names.
  • imageSarahhasboys:
    I love Olive!  It's one I brought up this pregnancy but was shot down by my husband.  I could easily name a little girl Olive.  I like it much better than Olivia, even.  For me they're two very different names.

Whoo hoo!!! I suggested it to my husband and he liked it too! I think Olive is such a sweet name, Olivia is just okay to me. 

• https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/45990993.aspx

Oh wow, I'm slow...I just realized it was a callout for this thread. Well that's kind of lame.

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
  • imagebraveangel2:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/45990993.aspx

Oh wow, I'm slow...I just realized it was a callout for this thread. Well that's kind of lame.

I agree. Very lame!

• imagemelissa.1985:
    imagebraveangel2:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/45990993.aspx

I agree. Very lame!

Very strange rant, esp. since the OP in that other post mentioned right off the bat she preferred Olive.  

• imagemj.reilly:

LMAO!!!!

• Well I really, really, really dislike Olive too. It's too old lady and Olive Oyl to me. Plus, I hate olives.
  • imageshopgirl_07:
    Well I really, really, really dislike Olive too. It's too old lady and Olive Oyl to me. Plus, I hate olives.

Old names come back all the time. Emma and Emily were "grandma names" for a good long while...until girls started naming their own kids after their grandma. "Old lady" in a name is subjective IMO. Unless we are talking about Bertha or Mildred, I guess I could get behind those.

(FWIW I have a great grandmother named Emma and another named Emilie. I was shocked when these became the most popular names in the country since they seemed SO old fashioned.) 

• imagebraveangel2:

Feel better? Stick out tongue

I understand the need to name vent sometimes, but I think you've seriously been holding it in for way too long.

Hahahahaha...rude huh...nah. You smell is rude. Your baby is going to end up with cola in her sippy cup because you're just that kind of mother is rude...naming your kid Olive? Not on the rudar (that's rude radar...cool huh?).

hahahaha! <3  

& Nah.. it wasn't a "call out".. I thought that was clear since I said that it's not just today, but every day on The Bump that people get all gaga over Olive. 

And don't get me wrong, it sounds way cute, but.. only as a nn, to me, not as a "less common version of Olivia" is what I'm saying. 

ANYWAY.. slow day today here, guys. Thanks for some interaction. lol

PitaPata Cat tickers
  • I don't like it either!
    BFP: 3/28/2010 Beta #1-120, Beta #2-590 EDD: 12/7/2011 HB: 109 BPM on 4/15 HB: 167 BPM on 5/13! 7/18 IT'S A BOY!
    "For this child I prayed; and the Lord hath given me the petition which I asked of him." 1 Samuel 1:27
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:5
  • This post is ironic timing, as I suggested it 2 years ago as a name for our DD, but we ended up going with Eloise.  At the time DH was pretty opposed but tonight, he decided he really likes it for DD #2.  I am not 100% sold yet but it is a definite contender.  FWIW, I think Olivia is too popular.  I do not view Olive as an acceptable nn for Olivia; I think Olive stands alone.  And I like it for its old-lady quality, just like Eloise. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagedaenikoffre:

imagebraveangel2:

Feel better? Stick out tongue

hahahaha! <3  

& Nah.. it wasn't a "call out".. I thought that was clear since I said that it's not just today, but every day on The Bump that people get all gaga over Olive. 

And don't get me wrong, it sounds way cute, but.. only as a nn, to me, not as a "less common version of Olivia" is what I'm saying. 

ANYWAY.. slow day today here, guys. Thanks for some interaction. lol

Big Smile I just posted a siggy challenge to liven things up.

And how could you not adore the anagram of 'I love' - really you have no sense of smell, I mean taste. Stick out tongue

And that's okay - we all have names that make us twitch. I was surprised by your post though...oh well, that's what keeps this place interesting, right?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"