Baby Names
Options

Angel...for a boy.

My all time favourite movie had a male character named Angel. 

(He was a ex-hustler, pretty boy who was currently serving in the marines.)

At first I was like "Wtf? O.o" But then it grew on me and now I like it a lot. 

I KNOW DH would never go for it, so it's not an option but I was curious as to what others thought of it. :P

Re: Angel...for a boy.

• Options
    I know a few male Angel's. I think it is more popular in Hispanic cultures for a boy. I don't find it weird at all.
  • Options

How are you pronouncing it? "Angel" like it would be in English and has been used for girls, or "ahn-hel," like it would be in Spanish and has been used for boys?

I would never use a traditional girls' name for a boy. I've never heard of Angel (English pronunciation) being used on a boy, but I know the Spanish one is common in Latin culture.

I would also never use a name that isn't appropriate to my culture. Neither DH or I is of Latin descent (well, he's part Italian, but that doesn't count in this instance). It would be odd.

So it's a no-go for me on both counts.

VOTE on my Name List

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagealliejo725:

How are you pronouncing it? "Angel" like it would be in English and has been used for girls, or "ahn-hel," like it would be in Spanish and has been used for boys?

I would never use a traditional girls' name for a boy. I've never heard of Angel (English pronunciation) being used on a boy, but I know the Spanish one is common in Latin culture.

All the Angel's I know irl that are male pronounce it Angel (the "English" version if you will) and they are Hispanic. Maybe in their families it is pronounced the Spanish way, but in public (school, work etc.) it is pronounced Angel. They are not "feminine" at all BTW.

• Options
    imagealliejo725:

I would also never use a name that isn't appropriate to my culture. Neither DH or I is of Latin descent (well, he's part Italian, but that doesn't count in this instance). It would be odd.

So it's a no-go for me on both counts.

I would be "Angel" as in the English way.  

• Options
    Angel for a boy makes me think of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and of course the show Angel as well.
  • Options

imageHappyMrsK:
    I know a few male Angel's. I think it is more popular in Hispanic cultures for a boy. I don't find it weird at all.

This. I know several.

• Options

I agree with the pp about hispanic men pronouncing it "Angel, in English" and it not being feminine. But have you explored other options? My neighbor's kid is 6 and his name is Angelo. Ann-juh-low. I love it. Also, they are from Ecuador. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options

You scared the heck out of me - I thought you were paging me :)

It's a unisex name, and thanks to the show, Buffy and the spin off, Angel, it's a little more accepted. Most male Angels I know are hispanic or latino. I love my name, practically narcissistic about it really, but I'm having a tough time seeing it on a boy because I've had it for so long. I will say boy Angels (#37) in the States out-rank the girl Angels (#176).

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • Options

Funny story:

We had a satellite office in South Carolina and one tech that worked there.  A very nice southern gentleman - he came to our corporate meeting here in Orlando.  He overheard the following:

Me: So I'm taking Angel to dinner tonight

Our Manager: Oh nice romantic dinner - have fun!    

As I walked away - The southern gentleman marveled to my manager about how open I was about my lesbian relationship.  My supervisor informed him that my husband was named Angel - that it was a Hispanic male name.

• Options
    imageHappyMrsK:
    imagealliejo725:

All the Angel's I know irl that are male pronounce it Angel (the "English" version if you will) and they are Hispanic. Maybe in their families it is pronounced the Spanish way, but in public (school, work etc.) it is pronounced Angel. They are not "feminine" at all BTW.

Oh, don't misinterpret me! I'm not saying that men name Angel are feminine. I know it works as a boys' name.

I've never personally known a male Angel---I did know it was popular in Latin culture, so I guess I assumed that they would use the Spanish pronunciation. It doesn't really surprise me that the would use the English pronunciation around English speakers---I guess I just never even gave a thought that they would.

A friend of mine teaches first grade and has a little Angel who uses the Spanish pronunciation, so I guess I just assumed all of them do that. Generalization. Whoops.

But many a Jorge go by George; a friend of mine has a friend named Moises who goes by Mo. Maybe it's just Jesus who always sticks to the Spanish pronunciation. Little did I know, I guess.

VOTE on my Name List

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

I get 'ahn hell' by a Mexican fellow I work with...I tease him all the time about calling me 'ant hill'. :) I also know a Mexican Angel who goes by the American pronunciation. I bet he answers to both easily. I'll ask him next time I see him.

And can I just say how awesome it is to see a post about someone considering my name. I think it's a first for me. :)

I would also add that since it's a unisex name, I'd use a masculine middle, so people can see that it's a boy on paper.

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
  • Options
    Yep, it's all Buffy/Angel to me (which is not a bad thing - David Boreanaz as a vampire is far hotter than Robert Pattinson any day).  His full name on the show was, I believe, Angelis, and I actually love it.
    I don't know what's up with my siggy and I am too lazy to figure it out.
  • Options
    imagealliejo725:
    imageHappyMrsK:
    imagealliejo725:

Oh, don't misinterpret me! I'm not saying that men name Angel are feminine. I know it works as a boys' name.

I didn't misinterpret you, you said Angel pronounced in English is used for girls, and the Spanish pronounciation is used for boys. Since you stated that you would never use the English pronounciation on a boy  I was just stating that that it's not necesarily a feminine name if the English pronounciation is used.

• Options
    imageHappyMrsK:
    imagealliejo725:

This. I'd actually be more likely to assume Angel was a male.

my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options

imageHappyMrsK:
    I think it is more popular in Hispanic cultures for a boy.

Yes, this. Living in L.A. this isn't an uncommon name and it's pronounced the English way. I also know a boy (white) named Angel.

• Options
    Oooooh!  I forgot to add that it is the name of one of the male characters in my favorite musical, Rent.
    I don't know what's up with my siggy and I am too lazy to figure it out.
  • Options

imageelyshaswedding:
    Yep, it's all Buffy/Angel to me (which is not a bad thing - David Boreanaz as a vampire is far hotter than Robert Pattinson any day).  His full name on the show was, I believe, Angelis, and I actually love it.

Angelus

It's Latin, and I'm a fan :)

• Options

personally, i hate it - boy or girl.

combined with the fact it's NMS - i know an angel, who is absolutely anything but. so whatever i would have felt for it, is dead. /:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"