Multiples

Tips for Administering Prevacid Solutabs Needed....

Ok, so we picked up our RX for the Solutabs. Doctor told me to drop half tab in a syringe, pull up about 3ml of water and let dissolve. We did that and it worked fairly well I guess. There were some white dots/balls left, so the doctor said to just pull up a bit more water and get those in the mouth. However, I feel like there were still some left after that. The doctor said there might be "little flecks" left in the syringe, but I just want to make sure all the actual medication was administered.

Any tips here? Syringe type? Other methods? The reflux has gone from bad to worse, and we are so desperate! 

Thanks! 

Re: Tips for Administering Prevacid Solutabs Needed....

• if you can find a dropper with a large opening - not a narrowed tip like a syringe - it may work better.  or you can try mixing it, pouring it into a medicine "spoon" - the old kind that looks like a tube with a spout at the end.  Prevacid is horrible to try to dissolve. =)
  • My DD was on this and I had an awful time getting it all out of the syringe.  I'd rinse it with water several times and the granuals would always get stuck inside.  What I did was put the tablet on a spoon.  I'd dip my finger into a cup of water and put a drop or two of water on the tablet.  Then swipe up the tablet with my finger and put it into her mouth.  Then I'd squirt some water into her mouth to get it all into her.  This made life so much easier and she was getting the whole dose.

Turns out she didn't have reflux afterwards (she had milk protein allergy)... so the prevacid did nothing for her, but I wanted to say Good Luck, I hope your LO's reflux gets better!

• Loading the player...
  • I hated how it would get stuck in the syringe! 

One other thing you could try is a measuring teaspoon (so that it's small) with a little warm water.  Then disolve the pill.  Pour it in baby's mouth.  There will be residue in the spoon, but you can use your finger to get it and just put your finger in baby's mouth. 

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thanks all! Those are great tips, and I plan to try one of those methods tomorrow. It's been a rough day. Poor little guy is miserable. And he NEVER sleeps. The reflux just wakes him up. His twin is practically sleeping through the night, and he just grunts, wakes up and coughs/spits up. When will it go away I wonder????
  • I had great success with syringes that were leftover from our IF treatments. I would completely remove the plunger, drop the half tab into the syringe, and put the plunger back on, pushing it down until it reached the pill but didn't actually crush it. Then I would pull up warm water (from a cup) to 2.5 ml (I think.) Cover, shake, let everything settle down into the tip of the syringe and plunge! Worked fabulously. 
  • you want to use an oral syringe - that looks like a needle type --- not a "dropper type" where you squeeze to suck up water - you want the one that you can remove the back and put the tablet in.

put the tablet in... draw up some water (the approved admin amount is 5ml for a 15mg solutab and 10ml for a 30mg solutab- but it really doesn't matter, it's just water and won't change how the meds work).... draw up the water and hold your finger on the end so nothing drips out- keeping the hold side down.... swirl it around, shake a little- but keep spinning it around so all the microgranules pile up in the tip of the syringe as it dissolves. Those are the active meds... you can get it so they are all in the tip if you practice....

then squirt into the back corner of baby's mouth.  If there are still some microgranules left, draw up a few more mL of water and repeat.

I got so good at it with gray that nothing was left over after the first squirt.... but it takes practice.

I sold solutabs for years and never realized how tricky they were to administer until last year when gray needed them.... so i can tell you that most docs don't know either.

• Thanks Goldie! Any chance you'll fly to Chicago and do a  presentation/demonstration and use my child as the model? HA. I hope I did it right this morning....I am worried some of the granules were stuck in the syringe. Oh well, I guess tomorrow will be a new attempt. I hope, hope, hope the tabs work!
  • imageMollymay39:
    Thanks Goldie! Any chance you'll fly to Chicago and do a  presentation/demonstration and use my child as the model? HA. I hope I did it right this morning....I am worried some of the granules were stuck in the syringe. Oh well, I guess tomorrow will be a new attempt. I hope, hope, hope the tabs work!

i was actually thinking, after i wrote the reply, that i should really do a video clip of it- and post on youtube... it's so hard to explain in text - and i've had to do it so many times on the nest/bump.... it would be easier to have a link to a video, huh?

i still have some solutabs sitting around i think ... when i find them i'll have to do it ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"