Success after IF
Options

Microdose Flare Protocol ?

I met with the RE and were starting IVF #2 today! 

After IVF #1 failed, he wanted to switch from long lupron to antagonist.  We only retrieved 4 eggs and had 2 (albeit perfect) ones to transfer.  The other two were abnormal.  He wasn't happy with the cycle all around.

However, when we met this morning, he decided to go with the microdoes flare protocol instead.  He said they roundtabled me and thought this would be a better option.  He also called me a "special" case.  Yikes.  Just what you want to hear from your RE.

I trust his judgment, but I'm interested to hear other's experiences and reasons why they tried this protocol. TIA!

Re: Microdose Flare Protocol ?

• Options

I may not be the one to ask because my microdose lupron flare cycle was a disaster. My embryo quality was horrible.

My successful cycle was the antagonist protocol. BCPs and lupron suppressed me too much. I'd be concerned if I were you considering you only got 4 eggs with your first IVF. Of course, your doctor (and the round table) probably knows best.

Henry and Papa at the farm
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I am on Microdose Flare right now.  I did Long Lupron and retrieved 16 eggs, many were not mature.  I ended up with 2 blasts.  Pregnant with a m/c.  Since then I have done another long lupron which was cancelled due to a lead follicle and an antagonist which was also cancelled due to a lead.  No idea why I am not responding to the meds anymore, so they wanted to be aggressive.  I am on 450 iu gonal-f and 225 iu menopur. 

Hopefully we will have good luck this time!!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMonkeysGirl05:

I may not be the one to ask because my microdose lupron flare cycle was a disaster. My embryo quality was horrible.

My successful cycle was the antagonist protocol. BCPs and lupron suppressed me too much. I'd be concerned if I were you considering you only got 4 eggs with your first IVF. Of course, your doctor (and the round table) probably knows best.

That's interesting.  I thought microdose was more aggressive than the antagonist, based upon dr. google.  And I get BCP with either antagonist or microdose. 

Thanks for your input.  It's always nice to hear "real" stories as opposed to just the internet LOL.

• Options

Microdose Lupron got me the most eggs I ever made.  I am a very poor responder and I was 42 when I was trying to get pregnant for the 2nd time so in other words- old.

I did MDL with Gonal F (450) and Menopur (75).  I had 4 follies which produced 7 eggs - all of which were mature.  4 fertilized and were transferred back to me (because of my age- I ok'd it).  I got pregnant with dd.

Before I did MDL, I had a previous cycle cancelled because I only had 2 follies.  It was about a month before the MDL so that change in protocol made a difference for me.

As for antagonist vs. MDL, my RE said that it is not that one is more aggressive than the other - it's just that some women react more to one than the other and they don't know why.  We're all just different in what works for us and it's a bit of trial and error for the doctors.

Good luck!

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Options

I've only done IVF using the microdose flare so I have nothing to compare it to.  However, my IVF was successful.  My RE chose that protocol because he assumed that I would be a poor responder.  I was on maximum doses of Gonal-f and Luveris and in the end had 7 eggs retrieved, 6 of which were mature and 5 of which fertilized.  Two of them expired, we transferred two and froze one. 

I hope the protocol works for you.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    imageMonkeysGirl05:

I know that this has been a very successful protocol for many, but, it was also a disaster for me.  I tried it twice, resulting in one IVF downgraded to IUI and one IVF cancelled outright.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"