Northern California Babies

Mirena & Libido, discuss

Has anyone suffered a GROSS loss of libido?

I've had it for 3 years now.  I think it's safe to stop blaming post-pardum issues on my lack of desire.  I don't know why, but just this morning it dawned on me that it might be the Mirena.

Poor DH.  All this time I thought my lack of lust was just how I am, and it very well may be the Mirena.  I guess I'll just have to get it removed to satisfy my wifely duties.  Oh darn, a year earlier than planned for.

Seriously though, it's doing a number on my self esteem & I want to want it again!

Re: Mirena & Libido, discuss

• glad to discuss - i have none! at first i blamed it on breastfeeding, but now that paige has been weaned for over a month i can def say its from the mirena.

i think i remember a nurse telling me that the mirena was supposed to increase your sex drive - sooooooooo not the case for me. although i was never one to have a high sex drive to begin with, so....

• I had Mirena before pg and had NO libido issues.  After Q, libido seemed to be coming back and then I had it put in and it went to ZERO.  I'm seriously debating having it removed to see if that's the cause or if it's nursing/post partum. 

At this rate, the only way DH is getting sex is 1) if I'm just doing it for him 2) we're trying to get pg again.

• Loading the player...
  • GONE, and i keep saying i will make the appointment to remove it.....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrs.BoomBoom:

At this rate, the only way DH is getting sex is 1) if I'm just doing it for him 2) we're trying to get pg again.

I could have said this word for word!  And I hate that's how it is.  It shouldn't be.  We should be enjoying ourselves.

You know it's bad when you see the Erectile Disfunction commericals and wish there was something for women.

• BTW-Decreased Libido is a published side effect.  Supposedly less than 5% are affected.
  • I was thinking that it was PPD too and realized the Mirena was the new factor in our sex life. We plan to TTC next year and can't wait to get back to my bad self. Lol.

A friend told me that she removed it herself when she decided to TTC #2. I am not going that far. 

• imageSmuches4u:
    imageMrs.BoomBoom:

I could have said this word for word!  And I hate that's how it is.  It shouldn't be.  We should be enjoying ourselves.

You know it's bad when you see the Erectile Disfunction commericals and wish there was something for women.

AGREED!  I used to be the initiator too so, it's an odd roll reversal for us.
  • oh my god - im sooo glad you posted this. i always had a healthy drive prior to getting the mirena and the only way to describe it is a GROSS loss of libido :P seriously. i dont even want to cuddle. I got my drive back immediately after having #3 but as SOON as I got hte IUD it took a dip. Im stuck in this place of 'would I rather be  like this or chance getting pg again??' :( 
  • The thought of some, any, even just a little, brown chicken-brown cow FAR FAR outweighs the potential pg at this point.  I'm desperate.

I plan to use another form of BC for the time being, but when we do decided to TTC#2, at least now I won't have to make an appointment.

• imageMrsEmm:
    Im stuck in this place of 'would I rather be  like this or chance getting pg again??' :( 
    Me too!  And I hate condoms and won't go on the pill so, I don't know what to do.  I know if my drive comes back, I won't be able to just chart and abstain.  Guess I could think about the copper IUD but I'm worried about copper sensitivity.
  • imageMrs.BoomBoom:
    imageMrsEmm:
    Im stuck in this place of 'would I rather be  like this or chance getting pg again??' :( 
    Me too!  And I hate condoms and won't go on the pill so, I don't know what to do.  I know if my drive comes back, I won't be able to just chart and abstain.  Guess I could think about the copper IUD but I'm worried about copper sensitivity.

ditto to pill & condoms. The copper one is out of the question for me because of the heavy bleeding. Dont need that. SOOOOO I stick with the iud & low .... errr NO drive until DH decides to do vasectomy.

• The first time I had it I noticed a decrease, but I just assumed it was due to being in the academy (I had it put in so I could train physically and be in the academy because it was the only thing we could find to give me my life back from menhorragia)....but in the academy I would put in 10-13 hour days and then come home and study and do work for another couple hours, manage to eat something then crash.  We were only having sex on weekends and even then sometimes I was not really into it physically but wanted to emotionally want it.  Does that make sense?

Then I had it out and I went back to before which would almost be described as overdrive.

This time I had it in a 10wks pp but I had not been cleared for sex at that point due to the tearing that occurred....but there was intense desire to jump back in.  After I got it and things resumed I think I had a couple months of normal sex drive for me...but then it crashed and burned.  

I am getting it removed in a couple weeks because I rather deal with my awful periods than have no interest in having sex with my husband.

WAY more info than I would normally share, but at this point I am so beyond fed-up with this that I am desperate to talk about it with others who experience this too.  

I think the mirena coupled with this new definition of physical self for me is doing it (rediscovering sexy when you weigh more and have a different shape is new for me, not bad, just new).  Though, I could easily get over myself for some lovin, but the lack of desire is killin me.

Happy Takes Work A family blog.
    Money Matters The other half's blog.
    EJ is growing up too fast!
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Omg. Thank you for posting this. I have almost no libido now and for some reason it never occurred to me that it might be the Mirena. I may have to have a chat tonight with DH, and fairly soon one with my Ob/gyn.
  • imagePKW:

I was not really into it physically but wanted to emotionally want it.  Does that make sense?

WAY more info than I would normally share, but at this point I am so beyond fed-up with this that I am desperate to talk about it with others who experience this too.  

Again, words straight from my mouth!

I wouldn't have brought it up, but it just smacked me across the face this morning that Mirena was the reason.  I knew I couldn't be the only one, but really had no idea it had affected so many of us.

• imageemeraldwednesda:
    Omg. Thank you for posting this. I have almost no libido now and for some reason it never occurred to me that it might be the Mirena. I may have to have a chat tonight with DH, and fairly soon one with my Ob/gyn.
    Good to see you around these parts!
  • WHERE were you ladies 2 months ago when everyone was raving about it!??! haha
  • imageMrsEmm:
    WHERE were you ladies 2 months ago when everyone was raving about it!??! haha
    I've always raved about it before.  I swear, it did not affect my libido when I had it in 6 years ago when DH and I first started and it's great to have a form of BC that you don't have to think about and that my periods stopped!
  • Thanks MrsBoom! So, is that 5% number too low, or are all the women in that 5% concentrated here? ;-)
  • imageemeraldwednesda:
    Thanks MrsBoom! So, is that 5% number too low, or are all the women in that 5% concentrated here? ;-)
    My guess is that the 5% is too low.  I bet a lot of women within the experimental group figured it was postpartum or nursing or just being further into the relationship or whatever.  I also find it interesting that it wasn't a side effect for me last time but it is now.  Such a hard thing to nail down.
  • imageemeraldwednesda:
    Omg. Thank you for posting this. I have almost no libido now and for some reason it never occurred to me that it might be the Mirena. I may have to have a chat tonight with DH, and fairly soon one with my Ob/gyn.

Wow hrmm - I never would have realized this could be a possible side effect.  I just figured I wasn't in the mood...a lot.  Heh.  I've been really happy with it otherwise.  It's such a tough decision, because there's always some side effect with BC and I'm not into temping/natural family bc (because I probably wont' stick with it), so I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.  I guess the question is which side effect will annoy me less? :/ 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"