Breastfeeding
Options

I'm Tired WWYD?

I have been EBF with the exception of two pumped bottles at day care (she only goes part time).  I have been starting to deal with low supply so I have been taking More Milk Plus and eating lacation cookies, but it is still taking me four pumping sessions a day to make those two bottles.  Basically my day is:

5:30 nurse

8:30 pump

12:30 pump

3:00 nurse

5:30 or 6 nurse to sleep

8:00 pump

11:00 pump

middle of the night feeding (anywhere from 1-3)

As you can see, I never get more than a couple hours of sleep in a row and although I know that this is normal with an infant, I am dying. I AM SO TIRED!  I had a great freezer stash, but a bout of food poisioning followed up by a cold (that has been dragging on for weeks now) has almost totally depleted that. 

So my question is, at this point would you start supplementing?  My husband is starting to get really worried about me and saying that we really need to start thinking about mixing in some formula.  He has been a wonderful support BFing, but like I said, he is getting worried about my mental and physical health.  I really want to EBF until one year, but I just don't know how much longer I can go on like this.

Re: I'm Tired WWYD?

• Options
    I hear you sister.  I am exhausted.  I am just hoping to make it to 3 months, we have had so many problems it's been terrible.  Congrats on making it to 6 months.  I say do whatever you can to stay sane.  We supplement with a little formula in addition to pumped breast milk, and he's perfectly fine.  I don't think it has to be all or nothing.
  • Options
    Can you move the 11pm pumping to like 10:30, at least a few days a week and then go to sleep after the 8 pumping session, so at least you are getting a good chunk a few days a week?  Plus you will probably pump more earlier in the day than in evening.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Congrats on making it to 6 months!  I bf until 6 months with my first but after 3 months of pumping at work and having to get up and pump before work I gave up. By that time she was on solids and was only taking a few bottles and starting to sleep through the night.

My goal for #2 is 6 months but lately I've been just trying to get through each week. It starts to wear you down thinking about your supply, when you should pump, etc.

I think 6 months is amazing. If you want to supplement why not?! You deserve some sleep!

• Options
    imageKMM06:

Congrats on making it to 6 months!  I bf until 6 months with my first but after 3 months of pumping at work and having to get up and pump before work I gave up. By that time she was on solids and was only taking a few bottles and starting to sleep through the night.

My goal for #2 is 6 months but lately I've been just trying to get through each week. It starts to wear you down thinking about your supply, when you should pump, etc.

I think 6 months is amazing. If you want to supplement why not?! You deserve some sleep!

This- I totlly agree congrats and do what you need to keep sane.  I am at the 3 1/2 month mark, just got back to work and am already struggling it is really tough

• Options

You're doing great!

Personally I would drop the 11pm pump, at least for a 2-3 days so you can get some continuous sleep, and pump RIGHT before you go to bed to keep up that "demand" even if you don't produce much.  Once you're caught up with sleep you can see if you still need that pumping session at 11pm, or start doing an extra pump during the days on the days you're not at work.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"