Multiples

Prevavid Tabs versus Oral Suspension

So DS was on the Prevacid oral suspension. Pedi GI put him on this instead of the tabs because of the milk/soy in the tabs. From what I understand/know, DS does not have a milk allergy or anything, but he is on Alimentum. I have read that the suspension is less effective. Not sure if this is true.

Anyway, he was on it for 2 weeks and we saw a big improvement. I called in another order of it. Immediately his reflux was out of control again, probably the worst it has ever been. I know the solution was compounded at the pharmacy and I am pretty sure it was made incorrectly. I know this makes me sound like a crazy, paranoid mom....but it's my gut. He also sucked it right down (whereas before he hated the taste. Made me think something was different about it). So....spoke to Pedi GI and they are prescribing the tabs. Tell me your success stories please! Oh, and any helpful hints on how to administer it the best way! 

Re: Prevavid Tabs versus Oral Suspension

• The tablets worked wonders for my son.  Prior to tablets, he was on Zantac (whcih works great for my other son) we thought he maihgt be special needs, he Physical Therapist thought the same.  Once we gto him on the prevacid tablets he was a whoel new child, would then make eye contact and respond to toys, track with eyes, it was amazing!  Good luck, reflux sucks!!! Hope it works great for him!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I just changed from the oral suspension to the solutabs. My stupid pharmacy wouldn't give me a 2-week rx of the solution, even though that's what my pedi wrote the rx for. They insisted their 30-day supply worked for 30 days. It didn't at all. I think we made it to week 3 before it went bad. I don't want to deal with that pharmacy again so now I'm giving them the tabs. To be honest, it's not working as great as the solution did for those 2 great weeks. I think I'm not doing it right though. It's tough for me to get all the granules out of the syringe. (If anyone has tips please post!) If I could get a bi-weekly oral suspension I think I'd do that. Reflux rebels (the site) says not to get flavoring in it. Is that how your rx changed?
  • Loading the player...
  • (former prevacid rep here)

the oral suspension they make at pharmacies is NOT an FDA approved method for admin- so you can never be sure of it's effectivness.... I'd go with the solutabs - dissolved in an oral syringe (i just explained how to do it easily in the post above).

problems arrise when people are told to split the 15mg solutab in 1/2 - because the tablets are not designed to be split- you can't know if you are getting the full 1/2 dose - the microgranules are not necessarily evenely distributed in the tablet.....

breaking the tablet can also break some of those microgranules- which are enteric coated and need that to work - so breaking can compromise the effectivness of the solutab, too....  The approved dose for 1y/o+ is 15mg, with our studies showing safety for even higher doses.... so if your doc has you splitting the 15mg you can talk about giving it in full instead b/c of this problem - I gave Grayson a full 15mg dose - feeling 100% confident about it (i knew this drug inside and out when selling it).  My doc felt fine with it, too.

• Thanks. So good to know. My son is only 10 weeks old. I am wondering if the doctor would approve the full tab?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"