South Florida Babies
Options

OB and Insurance Question (Need Feedback)

*comes out of lurking from January '11 Board*

My OB is in Boca and they want $1783 towards the dr's delivery fee (I'm due in January) by the time I hit 34 weeks, which is on Thursday. We have Coventry and according to one of their reps and DH's HR rep at work that we ARE NOT to pay this expense up front at my next appointment b/c it should go through the insurance company first, regardless of the new deductible we have to cough up if the baby does come in January and not in December.

My insurance is calling the OB's office to discuss with them why they want to charge us this amount for services yet to be rendered.

My question is this: regardless if you have good insurance or mediocre insurance, is this standard practice for most OB's in the area? If not, would I be better off changing OB providers that are covered by my plan at this stage of the pregnancy (which is not unheard of in some cases)?

Your feedback is and/or experience is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I forgot to add an important detail: I never received any bill or invoice from my OB for his delivery fee. They have it in my file what I owe, but didn't furnish me anything to show what the charges entail for his service.

Joseph Michael - 12/22/2010
5lbs 9 oz, 18.5 inches long
6 months: 16lbs 15 oz, 27 inches long

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: OB and Insurance Question (Need Feedback)

• Options

My OB and the hospital both sent me bills for their part of the deductibles before I delivered.  The OB's bill I paid little by little after each visit and just paid my last portion during my 6 week post-partum visit.  The hospital bill I did not pay upfront.  I just received the bill in the mail the other day and will be sending it out this week.

HTH

• Options

I got a bill from the hospital right after I pre-registered to pay my deductible but, I decided not to and waited until after delivery. What they wanted ended up being more than what I actually had to pay so it worked out well.

My OB's office didn't send me anything until after J was born.

TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My OB made me pay upfront, and I think it is common practice. I hated doing it and don't agree with it, but I kept meticulous records and receipts and kept in touch with my insurance to make sure I knew where I was with my deductible. I will most certainly be knocking on the doctor's office door if it turns out I overpaid after my insurance pays their portion.

At first I was really concerned about there being an issue, but in the end, I agree that the amount I paid is close to what I'd have to pay, anyway. I recommend being certain you understand what your insurance covers and what you'll be responsible for.

The hospital did not ask for any payment upfront and I haven't received a bill yet.

• Options

I wasn't asked to pay upfront for delivery fee's. I would be concerned because your OB's office should provide you with a bill. Additionally, if you have insurance they would be able to tell you what your co-pay should be. Your OB has to follow the billing guidelines in their contract with the insurance company. For instance, I used to work for a Psychologist and one of the contract with an insurance company clearly stated that we could never send one of their members to collection. It also said that we had to see the client even if they never paid their co-pay. If I were you I would listen to your insurance company.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Being we have  the same OB...we paid before 34 weeks...what we paid was the co-insurance....there is an allowed amount determined for your insurance company and then a percentage you are responsible for of that allowed amount.  Our % was 15% of the total....it is separate from the deductible you are responsible for.  We met our deductible prior to the hospital stay so we did not have to pay anything then.  You can ask them for a print out of the amount you owe...I did.
    Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"