February 2011 Moms

Passed GD test, yay! But I am slightly Anemic...

I am super excited about passing the first GD test, I was not looking forward to drinking any more of that stuff and having more blood drawn.  Plus now I can enjoy the holiday food :).  Anyone else anemic?  My doctor said to take an iron supplement, they recommend Feosol in addition to my prenatals.  I don't know too much about anemia but did a little research on the internet.  I guess I will talk to my doctor at my next appointment to find out more. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Passed GD test, yay! But I am slightly Anemic...

• Congrats on passing the GD test! When did you take the test? I took mine on Saturday and I'm sitting at my desk at work anxiously waiting for the results.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I used to be anemic during AF, so I assumed that I would need iron pills while pregnant.  Just make sure you take the iron pills, they help aid in not needing a blood transfusion after you give birth.  I researched and asked my doctor what would happen if I didn't take them, and it seemed worse not taking them.  Just be prepared for some nasty iron burps...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have been having this issue all pregnancy, I have no iron in my blood. I am on supplements but they aren?t working, we?ll see what the dr says tomorrow.

Basically take them in the morning on an empty stomach, don?t eat until 1 hour after you?ve taken them, drink with orange juice NEVER anything with calcium (i.e. milk). When you eat iron, don?t eat calcium, have some vitamin C with it. Oh and no caffine.

The side effects aren?t pretty if you don?t fix it.

1.     Low birth weight

2.     Premmie

3.     Hemorrhaging

4.     Still birth

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage

Our baby site: Baby Cragg

• Lyss- I took the test Monday morning.  My doctor's office told me if I didn't hear back by today I was ok.  The only reason they called me was to tell me about the anemia.  I would check with your office, maybe they do the same thing and don't call if you pass, fingers crossed for you!!

Thanks for the info on anemia.  I will stop by Walgreens today and get my supplements. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Same here. I started taking the iron supplement in addition to  my PNVs and all of the sudden, I had a TON more energy.

Don't stress too much about the anemia. Do what they tell you to do and you will be fine. It is very common at this stage - our placentas and babies are growing!

I would recommend not taking the iron supplement at the same time you take your PNVs. Iron is hell on your digestion. If you get constipated, try colace. It's supposedly safe, and it works great for me.

Also, you can boost your iron absorption by taking your supplement with a glass of OJ. The vitamin C helps a lot!

PG#1 - 3rd cycle BFP. Team Green. HELLP syndrome @ 34 weeks.
    Later diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, possible link to HELLP.

PG#2 M/C 3/14 - Surprise BFP 2/13. Beta's doubled every 52 hours from 3w5d-5w5d
    Viable pregnancy scan at 5w5d; 2nd u/s showed 2 days of growth in 7 but a HB of 120
    3rd u/s on 3/10/14 had no HB and baby had only grown 7 days over 14
    D&C 3/17/14 - complications - DX Retroflexed uterus, multiple tears to cervix

All Welcome

Chart

• I had the same result! Passed the GD test, but my iron level came back really low. OB asked me to purchase a supplement, 325 mg a day - ferrous sulfate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"