Stay at Home Moms
Options

Gifts for DH when I'm not working?

I became a stay-at-home mom in March, so this is the first Christmas where I will be spending money on hubby's gift without making any money to contribute. In the past I gave him really nice gifts, but I know he would wonder how much I spent if it's really nice. Does anyone have a suggestion for a gift I could buy or make for him that would be thoughtful but not too expensive? Thank you!

Re: Gifts for DH when I'm not working?

• Options
    I guess it depends on what he likes? There are so many inexpensive options for gifts. This year I got dh Sirius satellite radio for his car. He has been hinting around how much he likes the one his carpool buddy has, they had it on sale for $80. But dh doesn't look at it like I'm spending "his money" on gifts just because I don't bring home a paycheck. We both look at it like it's our money because we are married, what's mine is his and what's his is mine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

If you're afraid he is going to wonder about you spending his money, maybe you should run it by him first? Sort of like, what is our budget for Christmas gifts this year? Maybe if you discuss this with him now, you will at least know how he feels for this Christmas and all future gift giving occasions.

We are also in the it's "our" money mindset, so I have no problem buying a gift for my DH with "his" money. I am actually doing DIY gifts for everyone but my DH this year, but that is because he is a big pain to buy gifts for.

DS 09.11.10
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We also treat it as "our money" - we always have, since day 1 of our married life. When I became a stay at home mom our income was cut in half. Gift buying on only one income instead of two is just new to me - our budget is a lot tighter. Thanks for your input.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"