Breastfeeding

I don't want thrush to get the better of me, but it might. :(

We're on 4.5 weeks of EBF and almost 3 of those weeks have been battling thrush.  We started with the Nystatin which did nada.  Now, baby (who has always been asymptomatic) is on Diflucan and I have Econazole cream for me.  We're on day 7 and I feel like it's not helping either.  There are times where it seems like it is, but then it seems to come back stronger and more painful than ever.  I go back to the doc tomorrow.  :(

I'm loading up on the probiotics, doing the vinegar rinses, taking the immune boosters and going braless (if not shirtless) all the time. We run the laundry nonstop it seems and I'm always boiling something to sterilize it.

I'm so close to giving up b/c each session is so incredibly painful.  I knew it wasn't going to be a cake walk, but I'm ready for it to get a little bit easier.

Pity party of one.   

Re: I don't want thrush to get the better of me, but it might. :(

• Try gentian violet.  It is a miracle worker.  It is OTC, but call the pharmacy first and see if they have it.  Some don't stock it.  If they don't they can order it.  mine got it for me in one day.  It is messy and stains.  I paint my nipples with it 3-4 times a day with a q-tip.  I also put aquaphors around DS's mouth so his whole face doesn't get stained.  You should find relief within 24-48 hours.  Keep using it for about a week though. 

I combined gentain violet, diflucan and nystatin and finally got over it.  the 2nd time I got it I started this combo right from the start and it worked like a charm. 

You can google gentian violet and thrush and get more info. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• 2nd the suggestion for Genetian Violet.  I suspected I had thrush but never was able to confirm - my OB rec it and it did help with the pain and it gave relief within a few days, I kept using it for about 5 days.  I put it on right after DD's usual last nursing session of the night when I went to bed (be sure to wear nursing pads).  Her lips and mouth were purple after nursing but it would wear off by the end of the day or so until the next night. It's an old time remedy!

• Loading the player...
  • I second the gentian violet.  That plus all purpose nipple ointment finally rid me of thrush after battling it for almost 3 months.  I definitely feel like it saved breastfeeding for me.  Good luck. 
  • I'm still not 100% sure that we had thrush, but I'm certain it was something similar.  Anyway, we did the Grapefruit Seed Extract - every hour on my nipples and in swabbed in his mouth.  We did that for 3 days, and by that point, I was feeling *some* relief.  We then just did it before/after feedings.  More info:

https://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"