Breastfeeding

pulling, tugging, wiggling, ouch

I'm working with my little one to go from EPing to EBF. Right now I offer the breast at every feeding, and usually can get him to take a good feeding about 3x/day, where he will latch, eat and seem satisfied. When I am able to get him to BF, he latches great, is a little squirmy until I get a let down, then he settles in. Then after a few min he starts pulling while still sucking, moving his head around and hitting my breast. Sometimes he unlatches, but immediately relatches himself. I thought this was because he was used to the fast flow of the bottle and was getting frustrated, but today when he did this he had milk leaking from his mouth. Could it be a stroong let-down, or slow flow? How do I know, and what can I do to help him have a better feed?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: pulling, tugging, wiggling, ouch

• Sorry I can't give advice but you just described my 3 week old boy to a T. I'm very interested in people's replies! Sometimes he pulls away and it feels almost like he takes my nipple with him :(

I have noticed that when he has gas he acts this way so I try to flex his little legs up and between us to help him release some... He will grunt and groan and shake his head all while suckling away.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sounds like ds around the same age. I started to have a really strong letdown on my left side. I would hand express a little & then feed him, it wasn't the ideal solution but worked for us. Not sure what else you could do. He got used to it pretty quickly & has had no problems since. I would think since he has a mouth full of milk, that your problem is more likely a strong let down. You could always consult an lc. hth!
  • Loading the player...
  • When he tries to unlatch let him - see if it's spraying.  If so, you may have a strong letdown.  I found that if I just let him unlatch and then applied some pressure to the nipple it would stop the fast flow.

If it's slow flow, I am not sure but maybe after he nurses for a while consistently it will adjust?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"