Cloth Diapering

CD drying question.

Hi ladies. I have a question about drying cloth diapers, it may be a dump one, but please indulge me.

I don't have a dryer but I am determined to CD. I was originally looking at pocket diapers but after thinking about it I don't know how well they will line dry. Am I doomed to have to use prefolds and covers in order for this to be realistic? I say doomed, but really I wouldn't mind using the prefolds, I would just rather use the pockets. What do you all think?

Does anyone else line dry? How long does it take for the diapers, pockets or prefolds to dry? I am asking because I am trying to figure out how many diapers I will need to buy and I assume I need at least a days extra to allow for drying times, any opinions? TIA for you help!

Re: CD drying question.

• Lots of people line dry, especially with pockets. Line drying extends the life of your diapers. If you dry outside the sun will help with stains. Pocket shells dry pretty quickly but the inserts take longer to dry. I go by just fine when I had 23 pockets, but extra inserts. I line dry everything, including inserts and wipes.
    DS 09.11.10
  • We line dry our pockets some days.  I have probably 20 pockets and do a load maybe every day and a half (I only have 2 hemp inserts for night, so I try to always have at least one clean and ready).  The diaper part dries quickly, but the insert does take a while if it is not good summer weather.  I think if you get extra and are quick about getting them from the laundry to the line (which I am not at all), you could definitely go with pockets.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I havent started CDing yet but im wondering the same thing. I live in a apartment and dont have a washer or dryer. Im thinking that by line drying either on the porch or in the house ill save myself the money that i would spend on a the drying and get and extra days worth of diapers. I was also looking at a portable dryer. It doesnt need any special hook ups just a plug and cost about 250-300 dollard depending on the brand. Im curious to see what respnse you get.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have a love of pockets and I always line dry :)

[color=#FF0000]Mom to 5 girls 23,22,18,9,7 and one sweet Wonderboy almost 4[/color]
    The Chaos of Six!
  • I try to line dry every day, but with it being cold and not having much room inside to dry, I've only been hanging my covers - all my inserts go in the dryer.  The only thing I don't l ike about line drying is that the inserts don't get as soft, but that's not a big deal with pockets since the pockets stay soft.  When I hang dry inside, they are usually dry in less than 6 hours, outside it depends on temp and wind, but usually only 2 - 4 hours.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Awesome, this is good news. Thank you all for your input.
  • If you were using AIOs I would say you were doomed to wait forever for your diapers to dry, but pockets are a breeze.

I almost exclusively line dry my CDs, and I even do it indoors this time of year. If I put them out in the morning they're done that night, or maybe the next morning. I wash every other day. I have enough diapers that I line dry the pockets and machine dry the inserts, and stuff the dry inserts into the pockets that I dried in the last run of wash (if that makes sense).

HTH

• I have one of those folding things (it collapses down) I hang the diapers on.  I can put them in front of a sunny window and the stains still come out.  I always line dry them to save energy!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My birthson who came before I was ready. He doesn't call me mom but I love him just the same. ~7/10/99~
  • Prefolds will take WAY longer to line dry than pocket shells, and than inserts made out of synthetic materials (e.g. microfiber). So I would say that pockets are actually easier to use than prefolds if you don't have a dryer.

I used to put DD's pockets out to dry before I went to bed, and the shells would be dry by morning. Inserts might take a few hours longer, but you can always buy a few extras to have on hand (they're not expensive) to tide you over until the ones you washed finish drying.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"