Northern California Babies

Transition to one nap questions/ vent

Ugggh.  I can't remember how this is done.  Alana is a late transitioner.  She is 18 months now and has been doing really well w/ two naps.  But I am ready for one nap/ day (and I think she can do it).  There are a lot of timing issues due to Caden's schedule (picking up from pre-school, etc.), so some days her one nap will need to be at different times.

Today she happened to wake later than normal (7:15am instead of 6:15ish).  So I had her skip her am nap and put her down at noon-ish.  She is waking now... just about 75 minutes total naptime today.... she usually takes TWO 1-2 hour naps.  Now what for today?  Do I give her another little nap later?  Stick to the one/ day even if each day will be a bit different timing-wise due to C's schedule?  I won't be able to be consistent.  :(

Uuuuuuuuugh.  This is tough w/ two kiddos.

Advice?? 

Re: Transition to one nap questions/ vent

• Hmmm. What time does she go down at night?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagem&m818:
    Hmmm. What time does she go down at night?

Usually between 7pm and 7:30pm.

• Loading the player...
  • I would try putting her to bed right at 7pm, is not a little earlier, and... see what happens.  (Boy, that sounds foreboding, doesn't it?)  I do recall that when J cut out his earlier nap we started putting him to bed a little earlier for awhile and that seemed to help.  Hopefully w/in a few days she'll get on something resembling a schedule and start taking longer naps.  As far as not being able to be consistent... eh, when that happens I just tell myself that I'm teaching J to be resilient and adjust to change.  ;) 
  • I'd follow her cues. I f she's acting tired around 4/5, give her a SHORT nap (like 30 minutes) and then get her up so that you can keep bedtime on time.  Good luck!
    Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • I agree with mrs.shmoopie. I would try to keep her up the rest of the day, expect to put her to bed a little early (cause she will probably be a little cranky) and hope for the best. It took awhile for Maddy to adjust to the long afternoons but she got it after awhile.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Unfortunately, I forget sooooo much so much faster the second time around. I can't remember the exact age when Jake dropped the first nap but it was early. It took a few months to get his one nap pushed back and then a few months to get that one nap to be more than an hour. He now naps pretty consistently around 1/1:30 (his bedtime is super late compared to others though).

There were a few months when it was really hard because he'd want to take his one and only nap around 11:30/12 which meant he was napped and up just as Ty was going down. Made for long days for Mommy. Thankfully they eventually started going down at the same time but Ty no longer naps everyday now. Just when it gets "easier" something changes ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"