Adoption
Options

Home study questions

We won't know for a week if we have a definite match, but we are doing some research to be prepared if the birth mother and her family approve us.

1.  Is a home study required in ALL adoption situations?  If there are exceptions, what are they?  I am assuming that the home study has to be complete before the adoptive parents are allowed to take the baby.

2.  Who do we need to contact to get a home study?

3.  How much did you pay for your home study?  (I've heard a wide range of numbers...)

Thanks!

Re: Home study questions

• Options

1.  I've never heard of a homestudy not being required!  We were recently going to do a private adoption through an attorney and the first question the attorney asked when I called was "do you have a home study already done?"

2.  I would do an internet search for agencies in your area, most will likely have the option to have them complete your homestudy.  Also, you could search for social workers and home study and I'm sure you'll find some.  I'm not sure where you are in KS, but I have a couple of names for you if you wish to PM me. 

3.  Our home study was 1,200.00.  The range seemed to be 1000 to 1500 in the KS/MO area at literally every agency/SW I called. 

I hope this match works out for you!!

TTC #1 since 12/07 SA 9/08=borderline normal HSG 1/09 found R tube blocked Multiple IUIs both with oral and injectible drugs from 2/09-2/11 Started domestic adoption process in 5/10, homestudy complete 9/10 Failed adoption after home with baby for 2 weeks 11/10 Blessed through the miracle of private adoption with a son, born 6/6/11 (his grandma's bday) 7lbs 9oz 20.5 inches long! So worth the wait!
  • Options
    YGPM, jehnm!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto to everything pp said.  We paid $900 for our home study, plus travel fees (under $50).  Hope that helps!
  • Options

1. Yes, but you don't necessarily have to have one done to take the baby home, at least in some states. They can expedite a HS for a private adoption. This happened with friends of my parents in CA.

2. You could contact an adoption agency or an adoption lawyer. They can give you resources.

3. I think ours was around $1500, give or take, not including background checks.

• Options

In Kansas, a homestudy is not always required for a kinship adoption, but it doesn't sound like this is the case for you.

I also have the name of a social worker that we have been very happy with, as well as a couple of adoption attorneys that have been excellent and affordable.  If you're interested in their info, pm me. 

• Options
    YGPM, mom2emb!
  • Options
    1.  Is a home study required in ALL adoption situations?  If there are exceptions, what are they?  I am assuming that the home study has to be complete before the adoptive parents are allowed to take the baby. We are doing foster to adopt in NC and a homestudy is a requirement. We had ours done by the county social worker about a month into the process.

2.  Who do we need to contact to get a home study? Ours was set up and done by the county agency.

3.  How much did you pay for your home study?  (I've heard a wide range of numbers...) We didn't pay anything since it is part of the county service

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"