Parenting after 35

Toddler discipline?

We just got back from a playdate with Simon's BFF, a girl who lives near us and is 6 days younger than he is.  As always things went well, they shared toys, not much grabbing going on, mostly parallel play at this age but they always interact well and know each other from daycare.  Then they started fighting over a rocking chair and there was only room for one of them at a time on it so Simon pushed her off the chair.  He's never done anything like that before so I've never had to discipline him.  (In face, on playdates with his other friends he is always on the receiving end of bullying.) I immediately removed him from the chair and pointed my finger in his face and said in a very stern voice "No, we do not push other people off chairs" and he started crying.  Do you think I reprimanded him too harshly for his age? (14 months)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Toddler discipline?

• he was most likely crying b/c you took him off the chair and he didn't get to do what he wanted - not b/c you reprimanded him. my twins fight ALL DAY LONG now - it's normal for this age - they don't understand "turns" and being nice.... the best you can do is say "no pushing" and remove from the situation.... redirect.
  • Ok, I was afraid maybe I scared him with my stern reprimand.  He's never really been reprimanded before because he's never misbehaved...he doesn't throw toddler fits or hit or punch or bite or anything that people post about on the toddler board. 
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemtnrider:
    Ok, I was afraid maybe I scared him with my stern reprimand.  He's never really been reprimanded before because he's never misbehaved...he doesn't throw toddler fits or hit or punch or bite or anything that people post about on the toddler board. 

haha - consider yourself very lucky - and don't be shocked it if starts soon :)

Gibby has been throwing fits for a few months - his are actually starting to go away now (because i ignore them totally).... and Gray has just started to throw them... he'll throw his arms up and then bang his head down on the ground - sooooo dramatic.  It's hard not to giggle :)

Your post reminds me how much easier it was when i only had one child this age... having twins + an older brother = so many more reasons for them to throw fits and be angry :)

• imageGoldie_Locks_5:

imagemtnrider:
    Ok, I was afraid maybe I scared him with my stern reprimand.  He's never really been reprimanded before because he's never misbehaved...he doesn't throw toddler fits or hit or punch or bite or anything that people post about on the toddler board. 

haha - consider yourself very lucky - and don't be shocked it if starts soon :)

Gibby has been throwing fits for a few months - his are actually starting to go away now (because i ignore them totally).... and Gray has just started to throw them... he'll throw his arms up and then bang his head down on the ground - sooooo dramatic.  It's hard not to giggle :)

Your post reminds me how much easier it was when i only had one child this age... having twins + an older brother = so many more reasons for them to throw fits and be angry :)

Yeah I'm not looking forward to it starting anytime soon! Wink I better enjoy these months while I can.  I don't know how you do it with 3 boys!

• imageGoldie_Locks_5:
    he was most likely crying b/c you took him off the chair and he didn't get to do what he wanted - not b/c you reprimanded him. my twins fight ALL DAY LONG now - it's normal for this age - they don't understand "turns" and being nice.... the best you can do is say "no pushing" and remove from the situation.... redirect.

I agree.

Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"