Two Under 2

How to get 2 kids to nap?

I don't quite fit the criteria of having 2 under 2 (DS was 27 months when DD was born) but thought I would post this here given that some of you may have some useful advice on the subject.

DD is now 3 months old and I'm having a very difficult time getting either child to nap during the day - DS refuses to nap most days when he's at home with me unless he's super tired (but naps fine at daycare) since I don't have the time to meet his demands for countless stories, etc. while DD isn't getting much sleep either during the day because DS follows me around the house screaming "Mommy!" anytime I try to put her down for a nap.

Today, I was ready to lose it.  Does anyone have any tips?  I'm considering locking DS in his room for naptime with a toddler-proof handle but that seems extreme and still doesn't really solve my problem. 

Re: How to get 2 kids to nap?

• We all pile in my bed and my older one eventually gives in a falls asleep. I give her a few books and tell her that her brother is sleeping. She generally ends up climbing on me and crashing for about an hour. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • repetition is key. Don't give in... it's extremely tiring but if you stick to your guns and your DS knows you're not going to give in then he will learn quick. Even if it means putting him back in his bed/crib a million times in ten minutes.... I dont recommend ever having them get into bed with your or you getting into bed with them... its a bad habit to start... gl
  • Loading the player...
  • We have a gate on DS's door.  When I need to get DD down at a time when DS is awake, he goes into his room and reads books.  He'll sometimes throw a tantrum over it, but he's all smiles by the time I return to get him.

Ditto the pp about repetition - make a plan and stick with it.  Toddlers crave routine, so create one and don't budge! 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Does your DS have a CD player in his room, or one you can put in there?

You might try setting up a routine where he goes in his room and has to lie on his bed quietly with a book as long as the music is playing.  That might buy you enough time to rock the baby down for her nap, and if your DS falls asleep as well, that would be gravy.  If not, then you can go in and get him settled after your DD is asleep.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"