High-Risk Pregnancy

diagnosed with GD - met educator today

I missed the cutoff by one point (passed two, failed one by about 15 points and the other by one point). When I met with the educator, I told her that the 1-point draw had been taken about 5 minutes early and she said that if it had been taken at 1 hour I'd probably have passed. Sigh. But I would have been worried if I was even close to the cut-off.

So she gave me my machine and we talked about diet and exercise, and I learned how to test the blood. It is so not a big deal! I had been so nervous about it and I hate needles, and it was really not bad at all.

Unfortunately, it seems like only 1 of the fingers on my left hand will bleed enough, so I ended up pricking my fingers three times today to try to get enough blood and wasted a test strip because I tried it with a drop that was too small.

But my first post-meal number was only 76 and I ate leftover turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans and milk for lunch. I even had gravy. So I'm obviously going to be working out the kinks of this diet thing a little bit. We'll see how dinner goes, I guess! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: diagnosed with GD - met educator today

• Do you have an adjustable lancet pen for testing? These have custom levels of depth so that you should not have a hard time getting enough blood from any finger the first time.

I have the OneTouch UltraSoft lancing pen and like it a lot.

Good luck!

• My ring finger usually gives the most blood-it's more senstive though-your index and middle fingers have tougher skin because they are used more.  Same as the above post, check your lancet to see if it's adjustable and try a higher setting. I am successful on 3 or 4.  Also massaging your finger and squeezing helps get more out.  Good luck and lucky you that your numbers are so low!
  • Loading the player...
  • I rub the finger I'm going to prick first to get the blood flowing into the area, and then I don't have any problems with getting enough blood.  I set my lancet to 4 also.
  • i prick the finger and then hold it down and massage it downwards or squeeze it downwards to make sure i get enough blood.  the more you do it the easier it gets.  also being hydrated helps.
  • imagejfayerman:

Do you have an adjustable lancet pen for testing? These have custom levels of depth so that you should not have a hard time getting enough blood from any finger the first time.

I have the OneTouch UltraSoft lancing pen and like it a lot.

Good luck!

Mine is adjustable, and this helps. One thing I also figured out especially b/c it's cold where I live. If my fingers are super cold they will not give enough blood. So when I wash my hands before taking my levels I make sure to warm them up under the water, then never have a problem.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"