Natural Birth

Natural Crib recommendations please

So my mother and sister-in-law bought the Naturopedic Organic mattress for us, and we were just going to go with a crib from BRUs b/c we really couldn't afford to splurge on something organic/natural and thought the mattress was more important.

But, my father offered yesterday to purchase our crib. So I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on some good natural (real) wood and non toxic finish cribs.  I don't even know where to start looking for something like this.  All the ones at BRUs are a mix of wood and composite wood.  I'm scanning through Amazon right now - but there are literally over 1000 cribs, so I have no idea how to determine what is actually high quality and what is ust expensive b/c it is a name brand that we don't really care about.

We don't need it to convert - we plan to have our second child by the time our first is out of the crib so new baby will just use ths crib and toddler will get his own bed.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Natural Crib recommendations please

• I had to find one since DH refuses to let anything less than 'real' wood furniture in our house. On BRU, there's usually an "Additional Info" tab that will sometimes say what it's made of. Other than that, if you find one that you like, you could try the manufacturer's website.

Our crib is a Baby Cache from BRU and on the Baby Cache website under Construction it says:

Materials: All Baby Cach? Convertible Cribs are made with hardwoods by manufacturers with over 40 years of experience building fine adult furniture.

Finishes: Finishes are child-safe and meet all federal safety guidelines for lead content.

Good luck in your search.

• If you do a search on https://www.ohdeedoh.com/, they should have some posts about non-toxic cribs.

Spot on Square is a US company that makes non-toxic furniture - we considered their low-end crib (that still runs $500), but went with Ikea's Gulliver crib instead. I think some Ikea cribs are only made of wood with laquer, also. hth

https://www.spotonsquare.com/?page=spot_on_square_home

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Loading the player...
  • We paired our Naturepedic mattress with the very cheap Ikea Sniglar--$70. It is unfinished,solid wood (though it does have a fiberboard panel to hold the mattress). The Sniglar is Ikea's only unfinished crib. It has 4 positions: high with 4 sides, high with 3 sides (to sidecar against a bed), low with 4 sides,  low with 3 sides (toddler bed). It looks a little more attractive IRL than in the picture.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60091931

• We got the Land of Nod Straight Up Crib.  Non-toxic, made in the USA with solid maple wood.  A bit pricey, yes, but the best price I could find for a crib like that.  It's really beautiful in-person, and we plan on using it as a crib, toddler bed, then day bed, so hopefully we'll get a lot of use out of it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We love our Ikea Gulliver crib--there was no odor at all, even straight out of the box.
    Married 11-8-08
    DS born 12-10-10
    DD born 11-5-12
    Boy/girl twins arrived 10-10-14!
  • Look into unfinished furniture shops in your area.  We didn't do this with our crib, but we did purchase a gorgeous, solid wood dresser from an unfinished furniture shop back before DS when we were shopping for a bedroom dresser for our master bedroom.  And DH stained it for us.  It is beautiful and I love it :)  Staining is pretty easy as long as you remember to go with the grain of the wood  . . . and it will probably be cheaper than purchasing one from a big name store.  And then your husband could finish it and it could be a really awesome project that he always remembers doing just for his LO :)  Adds some sentimentality to it, I think.  Just an idea!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"