1st Trimester

jury duty & have a doc appt scheduled...

I've been on call for jury duty this week and will be all of next week and I have an u/s scheduled for Wed.  HOPEFULLY I won't actually have to go but of all days if I do have to report I hope to GOD its not Wed.  If the message says I do have to go can I call in the morning and get out of it because of my doc appt?  Not sure what kind of excuses they actually accept.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: jury duty & have a doc appt scheduled...

• I got out of jury duty due to being pregnant and not having child care for DD.  Its not that I'm trying to shirk my civil duty.  We honestly don't have anyone to watch DD and we cannot afford to pay daycare to watch her while I go to jury duty now that I work part time.  So on the form I requested to delay jury duty until after my due date and wrote in that I didnt want to increase stress during pregnancy and also wrote in that we don't have child care for our 1 yr old.  I received a letter stating that my jury duty was excused  this time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • can't you just r/s your appt?
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, but actually you should call now and get excused so that it's not a last minute thing. Doc appts are a valid reason. You can postpone jury service for any reason up to 3 times. If you are unable to postpone now you can still call and speak to someone about being excused. Don't wait til the last minute.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got out of jury duty while I was pregnant, but it would have been towards the end of my pregnancy  (like 30+ weeks), it was in the winter, and an hour drive each way.  I'm not sure that a dr's appt will qualify you to get out of jury duty.  Why don't you just reschedule the appt for earlier or later in the day?

girls photo zvczv.jpg

• I just served on a jury last year at this time but it was for the county I live in, this is for federal court.  I would really prefer not to r/s the appt and probably wouldn't be able to get in very soon. There wasn't anything else available that day and time of day wouldn't make a difference if I had to appear for jd.  Where I'd have to go for jd is roughly an hour away each way and not in a safe area.  I've had a loss around this time and I really need the piece of mind that this one is still okay.

There wasn't anywhere on my form to fill out anything about not being able to go, if I remember I'll try to call Monday during the day and see if I can make sure not to have to appear on Wed. of course there's a chance I won't have to go anyways, just keep calling every day like I have this week but then I wouldn't know until Tuesday night after 6pm.

• tell them you're pregnant...that should be a good enough reason I would think? I just got out of doing jury duty a year ago by saying I had exams at school. hmm.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm pretty sure that if you can't go because of a medical reason like a Dr. Appt or pregnancy that you need a note from your Dr. I was summoned for jury duty a few months ago. I had a valid medical reason and my Dr. faxed a note. I was excused. If you really don't want to be on a jury do a little reading about jury nulification. If you plan to exercise this right if you are on a jury let them know. Judges and lawyers don't like it and will dismiss you if they find out you know about it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageashgirlxo:
    tell them you're pregnant...that should be a good enough reason I would think? I just got out of doing jury duty a year ago by saying I had exams at school. hmm.

I had jury duty around week 9 or so of this pregnancy - I was puking in the jury room bathroom and they still wouldn't excuse me. They said they couldn't count pregnancy as a "medical condition" because that was discrimination.

Which, I guess I understand (my brain is still working), but it's hard to be reasonable when you're barfing in a public restroom.

I could have used my one postponement, but I didn't really want to serve when I have a newborn or something. I got through it - had I been selected for a jury, I would have made my case to the judge and lawyers that I was in no physical condition to serve, and I'm sure they would have agreed. But until then, I had to wait in the jury room just like everyone else.

• I"m also afraid that if I call to try to get out of it just for that day that will somehow put my name as a target to actually have to report.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"