I posted this on the 3rd tri board, but since I'm high risk and have a feeling there are some women who are in a similar boat than I was here goes....
July 27, 2009 I went into the ER with extreme back pain (honestly, I wanted to wait to see a chiropractor, but DH forced me to go to the ER). After a slew of tests it was confirmed that I had bilateral pulmonary embolism. I spent a week in the hospital and after blood tests it was found that I have Factor V Leiden Heterozygosis (a very common clotting disorder). I spent the next six months on 12mg of Coumadin a day. I went for INR tests every 3 days to check how the Coumadin was working. After a follow up CT that showed no signs of blood clots in either lung I was taken off Coumadin. Three months later I got pregnant. I found out at 4 weeks and 3 days along. My OB (who worked in the same practice as my general practitioner) immediately started me on Lovenox (40mg a day). At 26 weeks my dose was bumped up to 40mg twice a day. I decided at 28 weeks that my current OB just wasn't a good fit for me. After asking him about the possibility of going into labor naturally and not having to be induced at 39 weeks he replied with "Natural labor is like going into the wilderness and getting eaten by a bear. Mother nature doesn't do a good job of taking care of mom and baby. I can do it better." He also said much more along the same lines (you can check out this post for more info). At my very fist appointment with my new doctor I was asked for my hematology reports because they weren't in my file. Ummm... sorry, what? I had NEVER seen a hematologist. "What exactly was Dr. B basing your dosage on if he'd never done a hematology report on you then?" ****insert shoulder shrug****
Yesterday, I went in and had my very first hematology appointment. After a long discussion about my Lovenox therapy and history the dr then says "With your heart condition, we should really double your dosage of Lovenox." "I have a heart condition?" Apparently, it is very common and normally not a big deal. I forget what exactly he called it, but basically a flap on my heart doesn't close properly and with a history of blood clots it would be very easy for a clot to enter my heart without ever having a symptom because the flap wouldn't prohibit it from entering. From there it could travel to my brain and kill me. Wow, that was a lot to swallow.... I must say I'm pretty pissed that my last OB never thought to send me to a hematologist or that I was ever informed of my "heart condition" by my general practitioner. In general I'm irate with the entire practice.
The point of this post is just a PSA to make sure and take care of you. Always ask your doctor, but if something seems off or just isn't adding up don't hesitate to get a second opinion. Drs may have gone to years of school and even spent numerous years in the profession, but they are still human and are not infallible.