High-Risk Pregnancy

A new Lovenox Lady

Hello!

My dr. just called and said he is going to put me on Lovenox injections.  I was found to have a Protein S Deficiency.  He said I'll start them in my 3rd trimester and continue them 6 weeks after baby is born. 

I have a few things I am wondering about:

* I have researched a little...what is the deal with Lovenox and epidurals and breastfeeding?

* How many injections is common per day--I'll be meeting with dr. soon to discuss--just curious?

* How about risks?  To baby and me?  I've read there really aren't risks for baby and the risk is bleeding too much for mom.

* Is C-section or vaginal birth preferable?  Or is there no difference?

Thanks in advance for any info. you might provide :)

Re: A new Lovenox Lady

• * I have researched a little...what is the deal with Lovenox and epidurals and breastfeeding?

You cannot be on Lovenox and have an epidural, so your doctor will likely switch you to Heparin around 35/36 because it can be reversed with another drug (dont remember the name) in the event you go into labor.  I don't believe there are any issues breastfeeding while on Lovenox but you should ask your dr.

* How many injections is common per day--I'll be meeting with dr. soon to discuss--just curious?

Depends on your history and blood levels.  I take 40 mg once a day but have heard of women on higher doses and sometimes multiple times a day.  I would say on average it's usually 40 mg once a day.  Heparin is twice day typically.

* How about risks?  To baby and me?  I've read there really aren't risks for baby and the risk is bleeding too much for mom.

You'll have to discuss this with your DR.  Each DR has an opinion but what I've heard from my DR's is that when you're on a prophylactic level there is no harm but at the same time I dont think there is a lot of research yet.

* Is C-section or vaginal birth preferable?  Or is there no difference?

Again I think this is best spoken with your DR but I would say you definitely want to do vaginal if possible if you've been on blood thinners.  C-sections are a surgery and with every surgery there is a risk of clotting.  Remember if you still have the thinner in your system and cannot reverse as is the situation with Lovenox, you cannot have an epidural so in the event you would need a c-section you would be knocked out.

***This is all information I've read/heard from my RE and OB.

• You will be on lovenox until 36ish weeks and then switch to heparin.  Lovenox is longer lasting, so if you would go into labor, you have to wait 24 hrs from your last injection to get the epi.  (I had dd at 34 weeks and hadn't made the switch, so I had to wait for the epi) You can breastfeed while on lovenox, with no issue.  I did for 6 weeks pp. 

I'm on a prophylactic dose, so I take 40mg/1x day.  If you need to be on a therapuetic dose, it will most likely be increased as you gain weight. 

You need to talk to your dr about the risks/benefits for you and the baby.  Each dr has a different opinion!

As far as delivery, talk to your dr.  My dr treated me no differently than a patient that wasn't on lovenox.  I didn't bleed any more or less than the next person.  (in fact, I had much less pp bleeding than a lot of my friends)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I was on Lovenox last time from 18 weeks on and this time on Arixtra (similar) from the day of my BFP. I was taken off 24 hrs before I was induced 3 weeks early. I have Factor V Leiden. This time I take 7.5 mg once a day with Arixtra. On Lovenox I did twice a day injections but I can't remember how much.

You can breastfed and take Lovenox etc. I did for about 6 months after birth. I bf for 12 months but I stayed on it until my hormones were back to normal.

For delivery every Dr seems to do different things. I did a vaginal and that is what the Dr preferred. They would have done a c/s if need be but I didn't need too.  

Addison Elizabeth
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Carter James
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"