Multiples
Options

anyone's LO need a doc band/helmet for plagiocephaly?

Looks like my little Erik needs a helmet.  He has been in PT for 2 months for torticollis, but his head shape is still uneven.  I feel like this is my fault.  I didn't even recognize it.  I knew his head was kind of "lumpy" as we call it, but I didn't realize it was affecting the symmetry of his whole face.  He is such a cute, chubby baby I didn't notice how bad his head shape was until they did the measurements and photos.   I feel like I should have been doing something sooner.   The Doc band place is an hour + away, and we will have to drive their once a week for 3 months.  Any advice or words of wisdom?    I'm just hoping our insurance covers it. 
IVF #3 10/09 BFP! 12dp3dt Beta #1 = 319 14dp3dt Beta #2 = 565 21dp3dt Beta #3 = 10,475! u/s showed twins!! IVF 12/12 BFP! image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: anyone's LO need a doc band/helmet for plagiocephaly?

• Options
    Both my twins needed DOC bands.. My DD has torticollis and has been in PT 1 x week since 3 months.. Unforunately our insurance didn't cover the cost for the bands but they do have several payment options. We are in the same boat in that Cranial Tech is over an hour from our house.. Don't feel bad because a lot of times the plagio stems from in utero position (per our clinician) just take things one day at a time and know that its not forever.. My DS will be getting a second band but DD is a graduate! We are really pleased with the progress they both made GL to you
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Ava had to wear a helmet for almost 7 months.  She was squished inside so she came out with her head mishapen.  We were lucky that our insurance covered it and we only needed the one helmet.  We went every other week for checkups and adjustments.  The first night with it was the roughest but after that, it was barely noticeable.  Just make sure to clean it for the hour it is off.  It does get smelly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DD1 wore a Doc Band.  Insurance did cover it because she had torticollis and her measurements were really bad.  We went every other week for adjustments and it really wasn't that bad.  Angel Flight was how we got there since we lived in KY at the time and we used Cranial Tech in Chicago.

Good luck.

• Options
    My Lilly wears a DOC band and is on her 7th week. We travel 3 hours one way to go to the Paramus, NJ office. It is so worth it!  The feelings you have are completely normal, and it's not your fault!!!! Really both of my girls could have used a band but our insurance wasn't going to cover them and we had to pick the one who was the worst and most noticeable. Lilly was born with some bossing in her forehead and that means her plagio began in utero.
  • Options

DS wore 2 of them over a 4 month period, and ins did not cover either of them. But we felt strongly about doing it & are SO glad we did. Also glad we didn't wait. It really is not as bad as it seems (esp if you're doing it in wintertime, they can sweat a bit) and they get used to it really fast. Just get used to ppl looking at LO & maybe asking questions, but I just chalk it up to curiosity & try to educate them about what it is for. (someone approached me asking if he was born without a soft spot once...turns out the guy had been born w/out one and had to have cranial surgery as a baby...

Also, the best part for me was decorating it, I thought he looked soooo cute when I decorated (I did 3 different ones over the 4 months). www.blingyourband.com is the best- she is super helpful & responsive.

GL!  
  • Options
    DS needed 2 DOC Bands for severe plagio.  It seemed so scary at the time but we are so glad we did it. Getting to all of the appointments was a pain but you just suck it up and get through it.  Remember that it is only temporary.  It feels like a distant memory now and DS has a normal shaped head. It was totally worth it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options

Both my boys are wearing a DOC band right now.  It is annoying but so worth it.  We are on week 3 and we already see a difference.  Totally worth it. Our insurance denied it 1st then I appealed and they covered it.  If they deny, appeal!  You can also check out the plagiocephaly group on yahoo there is a lot of information on how to appeal if insurance wont cover.

Do you live in lake geneva?  Would you be going to the clinic in Mequon or the one in IL?  We see Karen in Mequon...she is great.  If you pay upfront in full it is $2500, the other option is 3 monthly payments of $750.

• Options

dmbfan - I live in IL so we go to the clinic in Skokie.  We were married in LG though.  I will definitely check out the group on Yahoo. It looks like cranialtech is in network, it just has to be approved by our medical group.  Fingers crossed. 

groovygrl - I love blingyourband!  Now I'm looking forward to picking out my design!  Thanks!  

IVF #3 10/09 BFP! 12dp3dt Beta #1 = 319 14dp3dt Beta #2 = 565 21dp3dt Beta #3 = 10,475! u/s showed twins!! IVF 12/12 BFP! image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"