High-Risk Pregnancy

Clarification on Pre-e...?

Hi Ladies,

DH and I went to an MFM the other day about TTC Baby#2. We have been doing alot of research on Pre-e and one of the questions we asked her was,

If your BP is under control, can you still get Pre-e?

She had said to us that even though your BP is under good control it doesn't mean that you can't get Pre-e.

Can anyone give clarification on this? I guess my understanding was that if your BP is under control then no worries, you will NOT develop Pre-e. But that doesn't seem to be the case from what she said.

So even though your BP is under control and you are getting medications/bedrest (if needed) to manage that, even with all of that, you can still get pre-e? It makes me worried!!!

Thoughts please?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Clarification on Pre-e...?

• Yes, you can get pre-e even if you are in great shape and your BP is normal.  That happened to me in both my pregnancies.  I was good until 35 weeks in my 1st pregnancy and 33 weeks in my 2nd pregnancy.  Then my BP spiked.

Bedrest and good diet can help but it can't fix pre-e.  I was put on hospital bedrest from 33 weeks to 36 weeks when I had my dd.  My doctor said pre-e is progressive.  It will keep going and going.  All they can hope to do is buy time by putting a woman on bedrest, giving BP meds, etc.  But delivery is the only way to solve the problem- and even then, some women have high BP for days or weeks until the body re-adjusts. 

However, just because you had pre-e in a 1st pregnancy doesn't mean you will automatically get it again.  The chances may be a little higher, but you're not doomed to get it.  Doctors are more aware of the symptoms of pre-e and if you had it once, you should know the symptoms yourself.  I did get it a 2nd time but it was much more mild and it never developed into HELLP like it did the first time.

Good luck with TTC #2

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• I have high BP that is well controlled by medication.  It was under control before my second pregnancy, and I continued to take the medication during the pregnancy. However, I still developed pre-e. So, yes, you can definitely get pre-e when BP is well controlled. The good news is that it was milder than my first encounter, and it was caught and managed better.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, unfortunately, even if BP is OK, you can still get pre-e.  I had severe early onset pre-e with my DS and delivered him at 31 weeks.  My BP was great and my symptoms came out of nowhere very rapidly.  Before getting pregnant this time, I also consulted a doc in MFM.  It's definitely stressful during my 2nd pregnancy, but I feel really confident that my doc is watching me really closely.  They should catch it much earlier this time if I do develop it.  They'll take good care of you.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"