1st Trimester
Options

Maternity Bras

This is our first and I am unsure on when and if to get Maternity bras or just go with nursing after the baby is born.  If you have other children, what did you do?  Any help would be appreciated on this.  Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Maternity Bras

• Options
    I'm so glad you posted this---I don't have an answer but want to see what others say.  I'm busting out of mine already...I will have to buy something new soon!!!!!
    sig-1
  • Options
    I bought regular bras in a biggers size when I was pregnant then about 8 months I bought a nursing bra and tank.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I went to Motherhood Maternity and bought a size up.  It was soooo much more comfortable.  If your girls feel smashed, don't wait!  Same with maternity clothes...don't worry if you're not yet technically "showing" and it's just bloat.  If you're uncomfortable, make the transition and you will be so happy.  BTW -- the Motherhood bras are cheap, only about $20-$25 (as compared to Victorias Secret). I do recommend getting a NURSING bra though...that way you'll be able to use it after LO is born.  Be sure to get one with no wire because that's better for when your milk comes in.  GL!
  • Options
    I used normal bras through pregnancy, and still do now. It's not a big deal to just push the strap off your shoulder and put the cup under your boob. I saved a ton of money and it's really not any harder. Same with nursing tanks.. I just bought normal shelf bra tanks. On sale for $3.. yeah baby! lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I didn't buy one until later, but you certainly can. I went thru 4 different bra sizes throughout my pg and nursing days, so you can do whatever is cheapest or most comfortable for you. If you want something comfortable, I'd get one of the sleep mat. bras they offer. Not a lot of support, but they work for the growing girls.

If you're looking for cute - it can be hard to find - let me rec. my absolute FAVORITE nursing bras - HOTmilk. LOOOOVVVEEE their bras - super comfortable, sexy, and stylish!

https://www.hotmilklingerie.com/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

IMO maternity bras are a waste of money. Just get measured regularly and buy new bras. You will definitely need a different size for nursing bras, so don't fool yourself into thinking you can keep using the maternity bras post-partum!

My size went from:

B (pre-pregnancy) -> C (pregnancy) -> F(!!!! Post-partum) -> D (now)

• Options
    imageLittleEgypt:

IMO maternity bras are a waste of money. Just get measured regularly and buy new bras. You will definitely need a different size for nursing bras, so don't fool yourself into thinking you can keep using the maternity bras post-partum!

My size went from:

B (pre-pregnancy) -> C (pregnancy) -> F(!!!! Post-partum) -> D (now)

This x100.  IMO, MM nursing bras are pretty terrible.  Your size will change a few times during pregnancy and then a few times while nursing.  I recommend waiting until your milk comes in plus a few more days and then go out and get sized at a specialty bra shop or a store like Nordstroms. 
    Pregnancy sizes: 36C to 36D to 36DD/E to 36DDD/F
    Nursing after milk came in: 36H to 36G to 34F to 34D
    I recommend nursing tanks or sleep bras in the begining until you know what size you are going to be with milk.  Because of my larger size, I had to invest in more expensive ones - Anita (had my size) or Bravado would have also worked.  The ONE MM style that had my size (had to order online) fit terribly and was just crap.  Another thing is that you can do underwire.  It is the only type I wear and never had problems.  I can see not getting one if you do want to sleep in it, but I just slept with the regular sleep bras.
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
  • Options

I would suggest waiting to get nursing bras until after you have the baby.  My boobs didn't get any bigger until my milk came in and then they went up a cup size.  I bought nursing bras my regular size and they were too small and I ended up not being able to wear them anyway.  Skin to skin is the best the first couple days after you give birth anyway to help your milk come in.  I found it much easier to just take my shirt and bra completely off and cover with a blanket. 

I don't know what a maternity bra is.  I wore regular Victoria's Secret bras through my whole pregnancy.

girls photo zvczv.jpg

• Options

imagechloephoebecali:
    I recommend nursing tanks or sleep bras in the begining until you know what size you are going to be with milk.  Because of my larger size, I had to invest in more expensive ones - Anita (had my size) or Bravado would have also worked.  The ONE MM style that had my size (had to order online) fit terribly and was just crap.  Another thing is that you can do underwire.  It is the only type I wear and never had problems.  I can see not getting one if you do want to sleep in it, but I just slept with the regular sleep bras.

Agreed about the nursing tanks, which will probably still fit after baby is born. I still wear them all the time! Anita bras are excellent - they make the best underwire nursing bras, IMO.

• Options

imagekg_08:
    I used normal bras through pregnancy, and still do now. It's not a big deal to just push the strap off your shoulder and put the cup under your boob. I saved a ton of money and it's really not any harder. Same with nursing tanks.. I just bought normal shelf bra tanks. On sale for $3.. yeah baby! lol

Totally disagree. Unless you want to majorly stretch your straps out and have your whole breast hanging out (fine at home, not what i want in public), you will want a nursing tank. I loved my Glamourmom nursing tank. High neckline, good for layering, and great support for night or day, and a good clasp. For day I can't remember what sort of bras I had, but I think they were mostly underwire. 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
    221_-6_Little Charlotte is.png" alt="baby" border="0" />
  • Options
    I just buy the bras I like in bigger sizes. I tried on different Maternity ones and they didn't give enough support. When I was pumping I just used my regular ones and nursing pads. I have one nursing bra which was really tight so good for when I was engorged, but other than that I didn't like it, maybe it was too small.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I spent $$ on Bravado bras/tanks and while they were nice...so were the Target brand ones for less than half the price.  I love the Gillian O'Malley T-Shirt style bra's and they make them in a nursing style too...I still wear some of them.
  • Options
    Awesome!  Thanks everyone for the input!  It is greatly appreciated.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"