High-Risk Pregnancy

Abnormally Shaped Uterus & Short Cervix

Hi guys,

I'm not pregnant yet... and not TTC either, not for about another year (waiting till after the wedding). Anyways, I'm kinda upset at my doctor. I go to a sexual health clinic where it's female doctor's so I don't always have the same one. I went in because I have extremely painful periods and I recently stopped taking the pill (d/t hormones, using condoms) and she ordered a uterine ultrasound.

The ultrasound technician said that my uterus was "unusual" and that the doctor would likely follow up with me. Sure enough 2 weeks later I got a call to come into the clinic.

The doctor (who is rather inexperienced), read my the results from the ultrasound stating "uterus is septated, two endometrial echos in the fundus, no endometrial striping do not think it's a true bicornuate". She explained that this happened to me when I was in utero, assured me it likely didn't affect conception, pregnancy or birth but asked if I wanted to be referred to a gynecologist. I said I'd do my own research (I'm graduating as a RN in 4 months) and go from there.

When I began to look into bicornuate and septated uterus' the most common complications is 2nd trimester miscarriage! And that almost half of women with abnormally shaped uteruses have to have caesarian births.

Because this is also something that happened along my development I may have abnormal kidneys (it's related to the uterus abnormality).

I did read there was surgery to repair this ahead of time. I was also told that I have a short cervix, which obviously makes matters worse. I'm glad to find this out before I conceived. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? Need support.

Re: Abnormally Shaped Uterus & Short Cervix

• I cant' help you with the septate uterus, but I know a lot about the cervix.  I experienced a 2nd tri loss @ 18 weeks to incompetent cervix, and there is a surgery to fix it preventatively and permanently - the transabdominal cerclage.  It's better than a prophylactic or rescue cerclage b/c it's not gravity dependent.  If you have to go the surgery route anyway, you could do it all at once preventatively.

I have lots of info in my blog.  Good luck, sweetie!  There's an answer and a plan out there for you somewhere.

Twin boys born too early at 17w4d and 18w2d in February 2010
    Transabdominal cerclage placed September 2010
    DS born at 35w1d in February 2011
    Twin girls born at exactly 36w in February 2013
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have 2 friends with same diagnosis. 1 has 3 children- no complications, was a scheduled c-section to avoid problems. Other had fertility problems- they said it was due to egg quality and not the shape of uterus. She has since adopted after several attempts at IVF.  I know there are different surgeries and you need to wait a while afterwards before TTC (not sure how long) Maybe look into it now to avoid problems later.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the responses! I think I am going to start looking into it now, I've contacted the original doctor to refer me to a gynecologist. It's going to take awhile for an appointment though. I've never really had major surgery before so that's really scary to consider! Espeically when some people with this condition have no problems, they say that usually women don't find out until a 2nd trimester miscarriage - and regardless if I didn't have complications I'd always be worrying that that might happen. I can not imagine anything scarier, you are truly so strong and brave for experiencing that and being able to talk about it.
  • Check out this group that has TONS of good information on unterine abnormalities

https://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/MullerianAnomalies

If you truly do have a septate uterus, it is best to have it corrected surgically before becoming pregnant. It seems that most people who have this surgery done are able to go on and have normal pregnancies.

I have a different type of uterine abnormality called a unicornuate uterus, basically I have half a uterus that is a strange shape. I'm currently 29 weeks pregnant with twins and everything looks like it is shaping up to have a vaginal birth. Just get yourself informed and a doctor that knows what he/she is talking about and I am sure it will all work out!

Will (12-19-06), Sean (12-29-10), Aaron (12-29-10) and Marcus (4-1-06) IMG_5814 Aaron, Will, Sean, and Marcus Kline 03-21-11
    Click Here to access My Blog
  • I have a didelphs uterus and only one kidney. I'm currently at 18 weeks. The increased risk of miscarriage is always in the back of my mind, but I'm being followed carefully by a high risk OB and so far everything is going fine. The increased risk of C/S is due to high likelihood of breach presentation. I don't care about how baby comes out as long as I get a healthy baby in the process.

If you have a normally shaped septate uterus, there is a relatively easy outpatient procedure that can be performed. Otherwise, surgery can cause more problems than it's worth. Good luck!

• Thank you again for the support and the responses. The u/s results did say septated, and was querying a if it was bicornuate. It said there are two endometrial echos in the fundus, so in my mind I picture a heart shaped uterus - honestly the u/s results are kinda vague and I believe that's partly b/c of the reason I went in which is painful periods so they may not have been thinking long term such as pregnancy health. Hopefully it's normally shaped and just septated and I can have the outpatient surgery to fix it. Here's hoping. I guess it could be worse...
  • I feel like the more I read the more discouraged I get. I thought that a septate uterus was on the mild end of Mullerian anomalies - but it has the highest rate of miscarriage.
  • I have a bicornuate and one kidney.  At about 26 weeks my cervix started to funnel and I went on bedrest.  I had problems with pre-term labor and short cervix.  I had a c-section at 37 weeks due to breech presentation and IUGR.   I knew about the uterine anomaly prior to getting pregnant but they weren't sure if it was a septate or a bicornuate.  During the c-section they took out my ute and "explored"  I have pics and it does look like a heart. 

I've heard stories of women not knowing they had uterine anomalies until after having kids, so it is possible to have an uncomplicated pregnancy.  It doesn't hurt to be informed and know what to expect.  My MD said my next pregnancy could be uncomplicated, lets hope it is!  Good luck

align="center">

BFP #1 9/6/2009 EDD 5/29/10. Missy Moo born 5/12/10 after 3 months of bedrest due to PTL, IC and a bicornuate ute causing IUGR
    BFP # 2 1/28/12 EDD 10/6/12 No heartbeat seen @ 10 weeks, Autumn
    BFP #3 8/18/12 EDD 5/2/13 No heartbeat seen at 7w3d, Mae
    BFP #4 01/31/2013 EDD 10/15/2013 No HB seen in our little girl at 10w2d due to trisomy 12, Abigail
    BFP #5 6/27/2013 EDD 3/10/2014 diagnosed with protein S deficiency heparin twice a day. Luke's HB stopped at 8wks
    BFP#6 12/22/2013 EDD 9/4/2014 No HB seen at 7w2d, Leia

BFP #7- 5/12/14 EDD 01/2015, ruptured ectopic 5/31/14

• I was also found to have a septate uterus, possibly bicornuate. It is really hard for them to differentiate between the two. I had my septum removed after a very early miscarriage. I went on to have another early miscarriage. Then I have had 2 healthy baby boys with no complications other than that they were breech and couldnt turn head down b/c of the abnormal shape of my uterus, despite having the septum removed. Therefore, my doctor believes either a bit of the septum grew back or was never fully removed OR my uterus is bicornuate (heart shaped) on the outside and that is why my babies wont turn. Currently pregnant with #3 and so far so good. This can complicate your outcome of having a healthy baby but find a good reproductive endocrinologist when you are ready to conceive and with todays technology there is tons they can do to help you have healthy babies. I thought it was impossible for me. Most people dont know they have an abnormal uterus or cervix prior to conceiving, so the fact that you know and can be monitored and treated prior is great!
    ~ My Crazy, Beautiful Life with 3~ Lachlan,Vito and Willa Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have a bicornuate uterus and 3 kidneys. So far so good. I didn't know until I got pregnant. Baby is breech right now and may not have time to change positions, but I'm ok with a c-section. The docs said it was amazing I even got pregnant but it happened on our 2nd try. GL!
  • I have a t-shaped uterus (DES exposure in utero) and am now on moderated bedrest as of 24 weeks (my cervix went from 3.5cm at 22 weeks to 2.5cm at 24).  Count yourself lucky you know about your condition prior to even conceiving.  After several IUI treatments, we got pregnant on our first round of IVF combined with acupunture...at the age of 41.  Because we knew my history, we were put under the care of a perinatologist at 20 weeks (he also did our trimester screenings) and were able to monitor my condition closely.  In just two weeks working from the couch, my cervix is back up to 3cm and we should be able to make it to a good place for delivery.  When you meet with your GYN, make sure you give a full history (including any VD even if it's embarrassing) because in your situation everything counts.  Good luck!
    Golly Gee! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm meeting with the GP that originally said that this doesn't affect reproduction today, and she's referring me to a GYN. I guess I am very lucky to know this before conceiving. I'm anxious but curious to know more about this and my future prenatal health. Glad you're doing better!
  • I was diagnosed with a septate uterus in December 2009.  I had 2 surgeries to removed the septum in January 2010, which went well.  I think it is important to have a laparoscopy done at the same time, to evaluate the shape of the uterus, and rule out other defects (arcuate or bicornuate uterus).  As you can see I am currently 34 weeks pregnant, with a head down little boy!  I recommend consulting with an RE who is also experienced in this sort of surgery.  From my understanding, if the septum is removed, the risk of miscarriage is the same as "normal women".  Hope this helps, and good luck!!
    Infertility Success! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • How come you had to have two surgies? And how long did you have to wait to conceive? And what does RE stand for?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"