Blended Families
Options

Give honest opinions sort-of BF

So when you hear the word trailer/trailer park, what honestly comes to mind.  I am not sure if it is a regional thing or not and I am not trying to insult anyone or upset anyone but would love to hear opinions.  I live in NJ and while there are some here, they are pretty much not talked about at all and the only time I hear about trailer parks is when watching TV, think either the news about tornatoes (sp) or Cops.  I cannot help but only having those images of "trailer trash".

So when my SD told me that her boyfriend owns his own place and then sheepishly said it was a trailer I cannot help but judge.  I know that some people might say he is only 25 and it's good he owns something I cannot help but judge and think "what type of 25yo would even think to buy a trailer" because most 25yos would rather rent or if they had the money buy a condo...even living at home would get less of a judgment from me at that age.  So am I a judgmental b!tch, is it regional or do you honestly think like me too?

Oh, and DH met him today and said he seems like a good guy, very nice and not trashy.  I told DH I would keep an open mind but expect the trailer jokes from me in private.

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08

Re: Give honest opinions sort-of BF

• Options
    trashy :-/
    Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • Options

God hates trailers. Notice how tornados are just gunning for those things. hehe

Seriously though, I judge trailer parks far more harshly than I do trailers on their own plot of land. Maybe he's saving up to build a house on it. I've seen some decent trailers though, manufactured homes, if you will. The insides of them are nicer than some houses.

But it's still a trailer, no matter what the douche's mother tries to tell you. lol

Click me, click me!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think they do have the reputation of being pretty trashy, but I don't think they're all that way. I remember as a kid my aunt and uncle lived in one for a few years, and it was really nice.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagehindsight's_a_biotch:

God hates trailers. Notice how tornados are just gunning for those things. hehe

Seriously though, I judge trailer parks far more harshly than I do trailers on their own plot of land. Maybe he's saving up to build a house on it. I've seen some decent trailers though, manufactured homes, if you will. The insides of them are nicer than some houses.

But it's still a trailer, no matter what the douche's mother tries to tell you. lol

Yeah, it is not on some great piece of land while he waits to build!  I have not seen it, I am thinking it is one of those rectangle manufactured homes, the tiny ones that are a step up from a real trailer.  DH saw it when he picked up SD last weekend and said it was better than he expected but he did not have good expectations - I might have to drive by, I have an idea of where it is so I can see the "park", lol

And did douche live in one, I had to laugh at that line.

• Options

No, his mom did. And she never failed to mention how it was "built" to their specifications, how they were doing the living room, what color scheme they were using the bathroom, how much they love their whirlpool tub.

We get it, lady. You think the place is awesome. But I can totally see the seam where the put the two halves of the doublewide together, miss thang, and you ain't hot shiit.

So yeah lol

Click me, click me!
  • Options
    imageLittlejen22:

So when you hear the word trailer/trailer park, what honestly comes to mind.  I am not sure if it is a regional thing or not and I am not trying to insult anyone or upset anyone but would love to hear opinions.  I live in NJ and while there are some here, they are pretty much not talked about at all and the only time I hear about trailer parks is when watching TV, think either the news about tornatoes (sp) or Cops.  I cannot help but only having those images of "trailer trash".

So when my SD told me that her boyfriend owns his own place and then sheepishly said it was a trailer I cannot help but judge.  I know that some people might say he is only 25 and it's good he owns something I cannot help but judge and think "what type of 25yo would even think to buy a trailer" because most 25yos would rather rent or if they had the money buy a condo...even living at home would get less of a judgment from me at that age.  So am I a judgmental b!tch, is it regional or do you honestly think like me too?

Oh, and DH met him today and said he seems like a good guy, very nice and not trashy.  I told DH I would keep an open mind but expect the trailer jokes from me in private.

Well it depends on the situation. If he bought a nice piece of property, and is currently living in a trailer until he has money to build a house, then I think he is smart. If he bought a trailer (depreciating asset) and is renting a lot, then I would think it would have been better for him to rent.

• Options
    I used to live in a trailer and I still think "trashy" when it comes to living in a trailer park. We had a "nice" one, 4 beds, 2 baths, huge living room/ kitchen but the park *shudder*.
  • Options

We bought a 1 acre site and considered putting a mobile home on it (trailer with wheels lol).  I was skeptical but agreed to go check them out.  There really are some lovely ones and ironically I was all on for it BUT DH was unable to fit in the showers (6ft 2'') and the bedroom couldn't really accommodate our extra long bed.

Anyhow we ended up renting while paying our mortgage for about 18 months- killed us!

Also we looked at log cabins and they were awesome BUT to expensive as a short term investment.

I also associate trailer parks with trailer trash as my only experience with them is TV.  In Ireland we have halting sites, which accommodate mobile homes, but they are for the traveling community (Irish Gypsies) and have a horrendous reputation.

In Europe our closest thing to trailor parks is probably the sprawling social welfare estates the Governments built during the 80's.  Although I guess that is akin to 'projects'.

• Options

Depends on where it is. I think in a community that has developments of trailer parks, it isn't as bad. Kind of like a way of life.

If you are talking Lodi or Moonachie, trashy. sorry.

Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

I really think it depends on the community that it is in. My Aunt lives in a very nice trailer park and the new trailers are beautiful. It also has a small park and pool for the "tenants" to use.

Now if you are talking run down trailers in an equally run down park, then yes I say trashy.

~Amy
  • Options

What part of NJ are you from? ;)

Yes, I think that too (brought up below Phila), but is it the area or ?... I wonder... or is it shows like COPS or My Name is Earl that stereotypes these areas... (although I LOVE Earl... )

• Options

It really depends on the quality of the actual trailer/mobile home and the quality of the park it is in. I've seen some awful, dirty parks with run down trailers that looked more like hillbilly shacks; I've also seen well-kept parks filled with nice looking "homes". Apparently you can build on to them and even add second stories. DH used to do construction and he has seen some pretty amazing stuff done to these places. Not only that, to buy a nice one can cost around 60 to 80 thousand in my area and lot rent can be several hundred dollars a month. Not cheap living compared to renting for Michigan.

That being said, there is still a large stigma attached to these things and I am guilty of judging them myself. Something about them just looks cheap to me. Embarrassed

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

image Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP 11/23/10 MMC @ 7w3d Discovered @ 10w2d D&C 1/12/11

BFP 7/6/11 Our Lucky Charm born 3/5/12
  • Options

I'm from the east coast and totally thought trashy for most of my life.  But now I live in Northern Arizona and the cost of living here is completely insane, especially considering the low wages.  Many people here live in a manufactured home, and it's not nearly as bad as I thought.  Now a mobile home (pre-1970-something), especially in a trailer park?  Yeah, definitely on the trashy side.  But a newer manufactured home in a subdivision?  Not bad at all.  Especially cosidering the fact that a lot of those go for what a nice house on acerage on the east coast costs.

• Options
    imagebabygirl809:

Depends on where it is. I think in a community that has developments of trailer parks, it isn't as bad. Kind of like a way of life.

If you are talking Lodi or Moonachie, trashy. sorry.

Lol, I dated a guy from Woodridge or I would have no idea where you were talking about.

I am talking Howell, 10 minutes from Belmar and less than 1 minute from Rt. 9...yeah, not exactly a way of life although if you are from North Jersey you might consider this to be South Jersey and expect it (not saying Sound Jersey is trailer parks but certainly those from North Jersey have no idea, lol.)

• Options
    I am from the south, and we have way more than our fair share of trailer parks.  Doesn't matter, I still don't like them.  I might not look down single 25 yr old living in one, because I would assume he is just starting out and hopefully would work his way up.  
  • Options

imagefauxshelley:
    I am from the south, and we have way more than our fair share of trailer parks.  Doesn't matter, I still don't like them.  I might not look down single 25 yr old living in one, because I would assume he is just starting out and hopefully would work his way up.  

This last part especially.  He's at least starting with home ownership, and paying probably less than rent.  I'm of the "mostly trashy" but there are areas that have them that are not too bad.  My maternal grandmother lived in one near Desert Hot Springs (CA) that was more of retirement community that had a large indoor pool, wading pool, four hot tubs, etc. and full of double- and triple-wides that were new and in excellent condition.  Not a bad place for a trailer park.  (This was after owing a gas station for a couple decades, their own home in a very nice neighborhood, etc., before they moved north to retire.  Turns out they didn't like the desert as much as they thought they would -- they moved to central Cali to be near us after we moved north, and then to Oregon to be near trees and mountains and her other grandkids.)

My kids, however, started out in a couple trailer parks in a military community that were/are the epitome of trailer trash and it made my teeth curl to think of them and their little ones living and growing up there (thank GOD they're in an apartment now, which is imo a step up from any trailer they lived in.)

For a 25 year old, however, whether it's a park (provided it was a decent one and not junked out cars, etc.) or on property, he's probably paying less on ownership and after he's established himself he'll either sell or he can use it as a rental property.  In the military town where my kids live there's a dearth of affordable housing and the trailer parks are where lower-income are able to afford to live.  He can eventually become a homeowner and landlord without you even realizing he's on that path.  Not a bad way to start out.

Photobucket
  • Options
    imageMrsBPO:

imagefauxshelley:

This last part especially.  He's at least starting with home ownership, and paying probably less than rent.  I'm of the "mostly trashy" but there are areas that have them that are not too bad.  My maternal grandmother lived in one near Desert Hot Springs (CA) that was more of retirement community that had a large indoor pool, wading pool, four hot tubs, etc. and full of double- and triple-wides that were new and in excellent condition.  Not a bad place for a trailer park.  (This was after owing a gas station for a couple decades, their own home in a very nice neighborhood, etc., before they moved north to retire.  Turns out they didn't like the desert as much as they thought they would -- they moved to central Cali to be near us after we moved north, and then to Oregon to be near trees and mountains and her other grandkids.)

My kids, however, started out in a couple trailer parks in a military community that were/are the epitome of trailer trash and it made my teeth curl to think of them and their little ones living and growing up there (thank GOD they're in an apartment now, which is imo a step up from any trailer they lived in.)

For a 25 year old, however, whether it's a park (provided it was a decent one and not junked out cars, etc.) or on property, he's probably paying less on ownership and after he's established himself he'll either sell or he can use it as a rental property.  In the military town where my kids live there's a dearth of affordable housing and the trailer parks are where lower-income are able to afford to live.  He can eventually become a homeowner and landlord without you even realizing he's on that path.  Not a bad way to start out.

And that is why I posted here, interesting to read other people POW.  But I cannot imagine who you would rent to in this area b/c trailers are so uncommon here that I cannot honestly imagine wanting to do business with the people that I can see renting one in this area (but I can be wrong.)  I am 36, grew up a few towns from where this is and have never once in my life known anyone that lived in a trailer...oops, let me take that back b/c my disabled Aunt did but that was not in NJ.

• Options
    imageMrsBPO:

imagefauxshelley:

And that is why I posted here, interesting to read other people POW.  But I cannot imagine who you would rent to in this area b/c trailers are so uncommon here that I cannot honestly imagine wanting to do business with the people that I can see renting one in this area (but I can be wrong.)  I am 36, grew up a few towns from where this is and have never once in my life known anyone that lived in a trailer...oops, let me take that back b/c my disabled Aunt did but that was not in NJ.

• Options
    you are being judgemental and need to step back and realize that you havn't even met the guy yet and already you are painting a bad image in your head just because he lives in a trailer park. Maybe that is all he could afford? Maybe he has family close by? There are circumstances in his life that you may not know about. Although I do think it is perfectly normal to be concerned for the childs sake, but again you have never met him, so you should not worry about it until a red flag arrises when you do finally meet him.
  • Options

I've actually lived in a "trailer park" for a number of years, and yes when we first started dating, FH (who's from eastern Canada) totally thought it was trashy, low-income housing like they always show on tv. He was quite surprized that it was a nice, well developed community with two schools, nice hotels, grocery stores, plenty of green space and parks, and one of the most expensive, classy restaurants in town.

Granted, I did own a crappy 1970's model, but in our town the cost of living is extremely high (avg house price is $890k and it's perfectly normal to expect to pay over a million for a "nice" home) and it was all I could afford after my divorce. FH and I had considered buying a condo, but a one bdrm goes for about $365k here (with only 700 sq feet and one parking stall). We ended up leveling the old trailer and replacing with a new manufactured home that we designed - 3 bdrm, den, ensuite, jetted tub, full bath, walk in closets and pantry, sky lights, etc... We may still technically live in a trailer, but we have just as much square footage (1,650), if not more, as many of the "affordable" houses on the market here, we own a huge lot, and we're not mortgaged up to our eyeballs.

You should be pleased that the BF actually owns rather than rents - it shows commitment to the community, he isn't transient (probably permanently employed), and that he's investing in financial security. At the end of the day he'll have something he can sell, hopefully for a profit, when he chooses to upgrade to a larger home.

• Options
    There is one trailer park nearby and it's icky.  I know firsthand, working at the police department, going on ride alongs and being in that place.  It's the only one I know of around here and so it's formed my opinion of them in general.
     TTC #1 since June 2008
    M/C @ 6 weeks 12/31/2008, Ectopic @ 6 weeks on 4/23/2010
    Diagnosed Unexplained 11/2009-DH is fine-I don't get AF
    Cycle #22 - 1/27/11 - IUI #1 & Injections - BFP! - DS born 11/11/11 
    TTC#2 - 2/24/14 - IUI & Injections - BFP! - EDD 11/29/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagemaura87:
    you are being judgemental and need to step back and realize that you havn't even met the guy yet and already you are painting a bad image in your head just because he lives in a trailer park. Maybe that is all he could afford? Maybe he has family close by? There are circumstances in his life that you may not know about. Although I do think it is perfectly normal to be concerned for the childs sake, but again you have never met him, so you should not worry about it until a red flag arrises when you do finally meet him.

I promise that I will be totally nice to him and try to keep an open mind tomorrow.  I will admit though that the idea of my SD, who I raised from 12-18 (her Mom saw her 3 times in those years) living in a trailer park is kind-of killing me.  But it surely is better than jail.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"