Whooping Cough — The Bump
Indiana Babies

Whooping Cough

Just thought I would share this article with you.  I was not aware there was this many cases in Indiana!

https://www.theindychannel.com/health/25876621/detail.html

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Whooping Cough

• thanks for sharing!  I'm glad we have DTap!
  • Loading the player...
  • after you have the baby, the hospital should offer you a booster --if you haven't gotten one, definitely take them up on it!  My Dh and Jake's close relatives have all gotten boosters now too.
  • Loading the player...
  • I know that it's "preventable" with a vaccine, but does anyone know if kids can still get it if they've been vaccinated?  Eli developed a wicked dry cough during the night last night and when I went in to check on him he was rattling with every breath.  He wasn't struggling to breathe at all but it just sounded like he was dry and was really hoarse.  After a drink he was better but his cough is still dry.  He doesn't seem sick at all either, just the cough.  It freaked me the eff out. 
  • :/ I don't know!
  • My cousin, who's in her early 40s, was just in the hospital this week for it.  I never realized that adults should get a vaccine booster for it.  Can you get it when you are pregnant?  Not one doctor ever mentioned it to us...  It seems kind of important to me!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageFinallyMrsBMW:
    My cousin, who's in her early 40s, was just in the hospital this week for it.  I never realized that adults should get a vaccine booster for it.  Can you get it when you are pregnant?  Not one doctor ever mentioned it to us...  It seems kind of important to me!

I'm not sure! 

They offered it to me in the hospital right after Andrew was born and recommended it. I don't know if that's standard operating procedure or if it was b/c he was a preemie.

• imagelemen99:

imageFinallyMrsBMW:
    My cousin, who's in her early 40s, was just in the hospital this week for it.  I never realized that adults should get a vaccine booster for it.  Can you get it when you are pregnant?  Not one doctor ever mentioned it to us...  It seems kind of important to me!

I'm not sure! 

They offered it to me in the hospital right after Andrew was born and recommended it. I don't know if that's standard operating procedure or if it was b/c he was a preemie.

I wish they would have offered it to me, but they only gave me a rubella vaccine because appearantly I was due for that.  Maybe in my bloodwork they could see that I didn't need it.  I would be interested to know why I haven't heard of it from a doctor. 

At least you are set for your next LO!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageFinallyMrsBMW:
    imagelemen99:

imageFinallyMrsBMW:

I'm not sure! 

I wish they would have offered it to me, but they only gave me a rubella vaccine because appearantly I was due for that.  Maybe in my bloodwork they could see that I didn't need it.  I would be interested to know why I haven't heard of it from a doctor. 

At least you are set for your next LO!

They didn't offer it to me last year after I had Jake, but they did this year.  As you know, jake the WC last year.  Last year my doc said I didn't need the booster because I was already exposed, but this year, they told me to get it.

I would definitely ask your doctor about getting the booster.  I wish someone had told me last year, so even though I may be a broken record, I just keep telling people!

• imageJenbenIU:
    I know that it's "preventable" with a vaccine, but does anyone know if kids can still get it if they've been vaccinated?  Eli developed a wicked dry cough during the night last night and when I went in to check on him he was rattling with every breath.  He wasn't struggling to breathe at all but it just sounded like he was dry and was really hoarse.  After a drink he was better but his cough is still dry.  He doesn't seem sick at all either, just the cough.  It freaked me the eff out. 

Has Eli gotten all 4 shots?  Jake got it last year after having 2 of the 4 shots.  The WC is long, long chain of coughing.  Jake had no symptoms during the day.  Easy enough to get him tested, esp if he has another episode tonight. Jake episodes every night for a week.  Back then, no one ever talked about the WC or that it was an endemic to Indiana.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards