High-Risk Pregnancy

Becoming pregnant at 200+lbs

Anyone out there got pregnant over 200lbs?

Re: Becoming pregnant at 200+lbs

• thats me... between my weight and meds im on high risk is my new title.... I think we will face challenges but hope not much more than that... how far along are you??

• I was and still am over 200 pounds. The only reason I am considered high risk is my hypothyroid problem. I actually lost weight the first 4 months of my pregnancy and just now at 23 weeks started to put any back on.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I got pg at 237. I have gained almost 60lbs now. I am almost done. I had Gastric Bypass and I have a few other issues that made me high risk, not my weight. Good luck.
    Sunny (37) & Scott (41) Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Not pregnant yet.  TTC.

Just trying to seek advice and know that I am not alone.  Which I feel very often.

• A few of my friends are over 200 lbs and they all have several kids, so it definitely is possible.  Have you met with a doctor yet?  They might be able to give you some guidance if you're feeling worried or unsure.  Good luck to you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Check out my blog ThreeHundredPages.com Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I was over 200 when I got pregnant with DD.  It took 9 months and I ended up as high risk because I developed gestational diabetes.  While weight might have contributed to that, I was also predisposed to it because of other sugar related issues in my family.  Good luck TTC!
  • I am pretty sure that my mom had gestational diabetes.  She had babies all over 8 pounds.  Me, 8lbs 1oz, my brother, 10lbs 1oz, then my sister tipped the scales at 10lbs 11oz.
  • I'm also over 200.  Had problems getting pregnant because of PCOS.  I had to have a cerclage because of an incompetent cervix and I have GD.  Good luck.  It may be frustrating but keep your chin up. 
  • I am working on losing weight before getting pregnant. However, I will still be right around 200 lbs with a BMI of 28 when we start TTC in a about 3-4 months so you are not alone.

Check out the following babycenter groups:

https://community.babycenter.com/groups/a425315/plus_size_and_pregnant

https://community.babycenter.com/groups/a6655055/plus_size_and_trying_to_concieve

Expecting our 16 year Dating Anniversary baby on 11/11/11! BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm way over 200 lbs!  I'm high risk but I've had multiple issues and would have been high risk even without all the extra weight. I actually think being so heavy has helped me in a lot of ways. I haven't really gained anything with the pregnancy -- I've bounced back and forth between the same 10 lbs that I also bounce back and forth within even when not pregnant. I like to say baby is just enjoying the reserves I had in stock. Smile
  • I started at 212 with this pregnancy. I'm high risk because of my last loss. I started my last prenancy a little higher but didn't have any complicatons because of the weight.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • I was over 200lbs with all 3 of my pregnancies and the weight did not affect my ability to conceive, in fact I got pregnant with "accidents" each time and not trying at all.  I do have high bp which I've had all of my life and runs in my family but have had no other complications from weight.  My 2 sons were both 8lbs and this little girl is likely to be the same.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for sharing your stories ladies.They are really inspiring!
    Expecting our 16 year Dating Anniversary baby on 11/11/11! BabyFetus Ticker
  • I was 190 the month before getting pregnant with DS and dropped down to 180. I went up to 206 when I had him. I did not have GD but did have superimposed Pre-E that could have been caused by a number of things, including weight. 

As far as TTC, I got pregnant the first month. 

• i am closer to the 300lb mark (but you'd never know it... L&D was SHOCKED). getting pregnant for me was complicated by PCOS. we spent 15 months doing Metformin/Clomid/IUI's and my endocrinologist finally said we should try shots. Well, we were saving up for this and got a suprise pregnancy in january! I carried my son safely, and my ONLY complication was GD (which we all knew would happen due to my previous insulin resistance with the PCOS). I was perfectly controlled with diet alone, and my chunker was born at 10lbs 11oz. Every single person agrees that his size is genetics (DH is 6'6 and 320, and i am 6') and had nothing to do with the GD. Good luck and I know that your size may be frustrating, but it can happen and good healthy babies can come from it :)

The Mob Boss 
    Birth: 10lbs 11oz, 21.5 inches <> 1 mo: 14lbs 7oz, 23.5 inches
    2mo: 18lbs 15oz, 25.5 inches <> 4mo: 26lbs 8oz, 27.5 inches6mo: 29lbs 8oz, 30 inches <> 9mo: 32lbs, 32 inches12 mo: 37lbs, 34.5 inches <> 15 mo: 38lbs 6 oz, 36 inches. 20.5 inch noggin18 mo: 43lbs, 37.75 inches 21 inch head2yr: 47 lbs, 42 inches. 21.5 inch head. Woah.  

imageimage
  • I agree completely.  Thank you so much for sharing your stories. They touched me heart and calmed my nerves about getting pregnant at the weight I am.
  • I was 188 when I got pregnant, so I wasn't too far off. I got to 212 just before I had LO. I have hypothyroid issues.
  • I was 195 lbs when I got pregnant. I am now about 208 lbs. Docs don't seem concerned about anything weight related.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • I was 282 when I found out I was pregnant and I hit the 300 mark this past week at the doctors appointment (my 23 week mark). Like a pp said, the doctors were surprised at my starting weight. I am 5'11" and carry my weight (I guess you could say) well. 

I was diagnosed with PCOS 6 years ago and tried to fight it on my own when I had severe reactions to Metformin and my original doctor refused to change my prescription. Got a surprise BFP this past July. 

As of now, no GD however my blood pressure has been high so they are doing tests to make sure that I am not developing pre-e. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSunnyinseattle1:
    I got pg at 237. I have gained almost 60lbs now. I am almost done. I had Gastric Bypass and I have a few other issues that made me high risk, not my weight. Good luck.

I got pregnant at the exact same weight, haven't gained anything yet though. I didn't even realize this meant high risk...my doctor didn't mention anything. 

I am concerned about the weight anyway, because I was around 180 when I was married a year ago.

imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I started around 207 and my RE only talked about my weight once, but has treated me great since day one.  We've conceived twice, and my only complication has been incomp cervix, which is now permanently fixed.

I've gained 1 lb so far this pregnancy at 21weeks.

Twin boys born too early at 17w4d and 18w2d in February 2010
    Transabdominal cerclage placed September 2010
    DS born at 35w1d in February 2011
    Twin girls born at exactly 36w in February 2013
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • OP, on a side note. When you do become pregnant, find a doctor who won't tear you down for your weight. you are already aware of the risks being heavier can pose, and it's not like you go around without looking in mirrors. My first 3 care providers (up to 24 weeks) constantly tore at me for gaining 8 lbs in those first 24. They were very unsupportive and very condescending. I ended up finding a doc that I could've married. I went with my DH to the first appt, and he sits us down and says "so your overweight, but it's not like you didn't know that, and you have GD, but you aren't dying, and it's not the end of the world... let's move on"

I STRONGLY encourage you to find an OB/GYN who will support you, not try to break you. GL :)

The Mob Boss 
    Birth: 10lbs 11oz, 21.5 inches <> 1 mo: 14lbs 7oz, 23.5 inches
    2mo: 18lbs 15oz, 25.5 inches <> 4mo: 26lbs 8oz, 27.5 inches6mo: 29lbs 8oz, 30 inches <> 9mo: 32lbs, 32 inches12 mo: 37lbs, 34.5 inches <> 15 mo: 38lbs 6 oz, 36 inches. 20.5 inch noggin18 mo: 43lbs, 37.75 inches 21 inch head2yr: 47 lbs, 42 inches. 21.5 inch head. Woah.  

imageimage
  • I was 210 when I got pregnant.  At 34 weeks, I've gained 28 pounds so far.  I've brought up my weight gain with my perinatologist and he sees no problem with it.  I was worried about getting GD (my mom is diabetic and I have PCOS.)  Was tested at 16 w and 26 w and all came back fine.  Blood pressure has stayed low, too. 

• I was 185 3 months before conceiving my son and gained through the holidays so I weighed in at my 4 week appt at 203.  I was bummed, but they moved on pretty quickly from that.  I gained 50 pounds total, but I have lost all and am back down to 198.  I hope to get a few more off before we start trying for #2 in Jan.  You can do it!  I had no GD, though they told me they would watch me closely on that next time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So yesterday I went to my yearly appointment and also talked about TTC.  Basically the Dr told me to wait a year or two and drop 50+ pounds.  It broke my heart.  She said that I am young and that it would be best to wait.  Other then being over weight (245) I am healthy, I don't eat processed foods, I walk 4 miles everyday.  It is heart breaking, but on some level I knew that she would say that.  Anyone in Central Florida with an OB that has treated overweight pregnant women with ease?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"