Breastfeeding

Baby sliding off nipple

The last few days my baby is sliding off and on my left side.  It's almost like she latches, and when milk doesn't immediately start flowing she slides off and then slurps the nipple/areola back in her mouth.  She does this over and over.  It's painful, and let down talks even longer since she isn't stimulating and sucking.  Once she finally gets letdown she eats fine, and then when the milk slows she starts doing it again.

I have tried taking the boob away, thinking she is just playing but she gets FURIOUS and roots, fusses, cries until I put her back on.  Only for her to do the latch, slideoff, slup thing again and again.

Is this just a developmental thing that is a phase and will correct itself with time?  Or, do I need to do something to correct it?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby sliding off nipple

• Do you make sure to hold baby's head with your right hand and the "c" hold on your left? Edit: I just realized your baby is 4 months old so I don't know if what I said makes a difference.

Danica 10.22.10 | Milo 12.23.12

PicMonkey Collage3

• My LO will do this once in a while and I usually just hold my boob (as others said in a C) until he gets on better. It usually only happens if our position isn't right or he is uncomfortable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"