High-Risk Pregnancy

Having trouble getting my blood sugar #'s down

I have GD and have had good control of my blood sugar #'s up until today. I am currently 20 weeks and there's something up.

Goal is to have #'s under 140 one hour after eating.  Lately they have been off by 5 or so.  I can't get a hold of my doctor right now because it's the weekend.  In the meantime, I have been excercising not necessarily harder, but a couple minutes longer. Usually, excercise brings my #'s down a bit, except for tonight! After 20 minutes of excercise, the # went up.  I don't get it.  Has this happened to you and if so, what did you do?

Re: Having trouble getting my blood sugar #'s down

• I won't be much help but I do know that around this time 20 weeks + is when the numbers start to go up higher naturally. Just in the last 2 weeks i've gone from having Fastings of 70-80 to consistantly over 100.  So, that could be why.

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• My doc said that has i went along the hormones that are causing my GD would increased thus increasing my bodies insulin resistance and increased by BS. Check in with your doc mine said depending on the trend it might be pills/insulin.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Could it be something you're eating or have you been extra stressed lately?  My doctor told me that stress can cause your blood sugar to be naturally higher, which would make your after meal numbers higher, too.  Also, around 20 weeks was when I started noticing that there were things that stopped working for me that had worked before - I can no longer eat fruit, or anything with sugar substitute.  Also, potatoes and noodles have been making my blood sugar spike.  Have you been writing down what you're eating?  Maybe you'll notice that certain things are making your numbers higher than they used to and then you can avoid them.  I know a lot of doctors say that it's common for your numbers to go up during pregnancy, but so far with hard work and trial and error in my diet, and lots of exercising, I have managed to keep my numbers within range and have not had to go on insulin.  I probably will have to at some point before the baby's born, but it makes me feel better and more in control to know that I can do something about it myself.  I think it can be done, and don't give up if you're against going on insulin so soon.  How many carbs do they have you eating at each meal?  I've had to keep my numbers under 120 one hour after every meal and they have me on 30 grams of carbs for breakfast, 45 for lunch, and 45 for dinner with 2 snacks of 15 grams that I can eat anytime there's more than 3 hours in between meals or before bed.  I've been working out for 15-20 minutes on my elliptical or going for walks after every meal, but not snacks.  I hope this helps you!  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Check out my blog ThreeHundredPages.com Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm T1 and testing immeadiatley post-exercise usually results in a bit higher than expected #'s for me. I realize that this may not be the case, but just advice to drink plenty of fluids while exercising and wait 20-minutes post-exercise to test.

• It's all about your diet hun. I highly recommend you pick up this book https://www.nealbarnard.org/diabetes_book.htm its called "Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes".

• I'm T2 and I know that drinking lots of water helps to lower your sugars. Are you not on any kind of insulin or anything? Just trying to control with diet and exercise? Because if I get a really high number that won't come down - I typically give myself 2-3 units of insulin and drink 32 ounces of water and that helps me.

Exercise will typically help to lower your blood sugars too - although for some reason some people get an opposite effect.

Typically, as the pregnancy goes one - your insulin resistance worsens. I started off taking 10 units of insulin with breakfast, 8 with lunch and 6 with dinner and over the last week I've put myself up to 15 and may need to go to 16 in the next few days for breakfast (I'm a little over 19w). Most people are more insulin resistant in the morning - so your morning numbers may be higher than the rest of the day.

There's only so much you can do. It's not your fault - just pay attention to your diet. Limit your carb intake to what your doctors/educator recommend and exercise and drink lots of water. That's all you can do. And if you end up on insulin - it's really not that bad.

10-01-06 ~ This is the day I married my best friend Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"