Ohio Babies

Midwives... Questions?

Hi everyone! I'm a first time soon-to-be Mommy, who's interested in doing things the more natural way with my pregnancy and delivery! I've always been interested in water birthing, but the baby's father and I both have concerns (more like questions!) about the differences between midwives and doctors.

I was hoping to hear some experiences from mommies who have done either water birthing, or went with a midwife, and possibly the benefits that came from either or both! I'd really appreciate it. :)

Also, my boyfriend is pretty stubborn and flees from anything "different", so naturally, the thought of having a baby in the water, without a "doctor" isn't settling easily with him. Any ideas on how I could ease him into this and make him more comfortable? Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Midwives... Questions?

• There is a place in westerville called women's contemporary health care. They are WONDERFUL. The two midwives are Emily Neiman and Becky (Idk her last name haha)

I am HOPEFULLY having my baby this week, haha. I am planning on doing a water birth at saint anns. I will let you know how it goes :)

Also, just fyi. WCH is the only place in columbus to offer water birth, as far as I know, so keep that in mind. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • That's what I've read around here! Yes please do let me know how it goes! I was thinking about giving them a call to get some more information, and maybe schedule an appointment just to chat with them with my boyfriend.. and maybe sway him in that direction lol! Thanks! Keep me posted! :D
  • Loading the player...
  • First time mommy here. I've been looking into an at home water birth with a midwife. My mothers best friend (I've known her since I was 5) is a midwife so I'm very comfortable with the idea of doing it at home and in the water, but she's from WV and the three hour drive might be too much. Haha. So she's helping me find someone around here. Look up CHOICE as well. I hear their pretty good and if 'my' midwife can't find someone she would recomend, I'll be going to them. They are in Westerville.
  • Hi Ashley! I have a little insight into your questions. I am currently pregnant with my 2nd and am going to Women's contemporary health in Westerville. For my first pregnancy (we have a 29 month old) I saw the midwives at St. Anne's clinic (we didn't have health insurance at the time, but I wouldn't have had it any other way). They were wonderful!!!! I was so happy with them that I considered seeing if they would take me back with my insurance. But then I found contemporary women's health thru a doula in the area (I was inquiring about becoming a doula at the time) and I wasn't happy with the practice I went to after I had my son (another practice with midwives, just didn't care for the practice) so I thought I'd check them out. They are the only practice in Columbus that does water births and they are also very open and encourage (if you can afford it) to work with doula's. They will gladly do a meet and greet with you for free where you meet with one of the doula's and ask as many questions as you want and they will give you all the information about their practice and how they do things. I met with Rebecca (one of the midwives) a couple months ago and I have my first appointment with Emily at 8 weeks (only two more weeks!). There of course is an OBGYN who works in the office too (maybe two, I can't remember) that they said will be there if there are any complications. I believe he checks out all ultrasounds too, that maybe incorrect though, I can't really remember. I'm not sure if I'm gonna attempt a water birth, but Rebecca did tell me that they are open to epidurals also. It's basically what you wish for at anytime! You can go to their website too, just google it, that's how I found it and you can check out all the midwives and doctors on their site. Hope this helps and good luck to you (btw, maybe if you take your boyfriend to the meet and greet he'll come around and not be so scared. I can't blame him, my boyfriend-now husband- was scared of everything with our first. It maybe the same with this one too!)
  • Kelly, thank you so much! I think I'll give them a call and try to set something up just to see how we like them. I just want to keep all of our options open! I am not AT ALL happy with the place I've been going. It's very cold ("cold-hearted" wise) and they just push you right through every thing and don't give you a second to think! I had my first ultrasound two weeks ago at 9wks and just wanted to cry afterward because the tech was so rude. She didn't explain anything and I wouldn't have known what anything was had I not asked!

/Rant! Anyways, thank you very much for the info! :)

• As another WCH momma-to-be, I thought I would add a few details. There are currently 2 OBs at the practice, soon they will be adding 2 more. The OBs do all of the ultrasounds, and you can choose to only see the OBs and not the midwives. I've seen both Rebecca and Emily, they are so nice and easy to talk to. So far, I've only met one of the OBS, Dr. Muffley, for my first ultrasound and both my husband and I were so impressed with how polite and friendly he was.

I have a friend who had a successful natural delivery with Emily and I was so pleased when Emily remembered her name, as well as her husband's and their son's. You can tell that they really make connections with their patients and care about the families they work with.

Lastly, the first time I met with Emily she said two things that made me instantly know I was in good hands. 1. "We don't think pregnancy is a sickness that you need to be healed of. It's a natural part of life." 2. "You are a smart, grown adult who can make decisions. I'm not here to make you do anything you aren't comfortable doing." Those were both very comforting to hear as a first time mom. I have friends at other practices who were pretty much bullied in to procedures or medications that they didn't need, and in one case, caused serious complications with their child.

• Thank you for that! I have an appointment with Emily tomorrow for a meet and greet! I'm pretty confident that I'll be very comfortable there. I read through every page on their website and I was pleasantly surprised. You don't hear those terms very often, and that's just what I wanted. :)
  • Just thought I'd post here again and say THANK YOU to the ladies who told me about WCHC! I saw Emily for a meet & greet on monday, and felt very comfortable with her and the office very quickly. So quickly, that I went ahead and scheduled an appointment for the very next day! Luckily, they had one! I loved her, and I'm sure I'll love the other midwife that's there as well! Thank you thank you thank you!
  • just wanted to come back and share my experience now that it's all over.

I had marlie on december 11th. Emily is the one who delivered me, naturally, with no  problems. She was FANTASTIC. Seriously, I can't say enough great things about her. I love the practice, I love emily and becky (and dr. Muffley and Dr. Isabelle, even though I didn't see them much).

I promise you'll be happy with them. They are just great 

• Congrats on your new baby girl! I agree, Emily is fantastic!
  • imageAshleyPennington:
    Congrats on your new baby girl! I agree, Emily is fantastic!

I know. Now that it's all over, I really miss seeing her every week :( haha 

• Whoa, I don't know why I never was notified of this comment, sorry it's so late lol! What's your name, if you don't mind me asking? I'll have to tell her you've said such great things about her!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"