3rd Trimester
Options

Going out to dinner on bedrest?

I'm on bedrest for a week until the dr. induces me for pregnancy-induced hypertension.  I'm already going stir-crazy so my mom is coming into town.  She wants to take us out to dinner, but dh thinks it's a bad idea if someone from my work sees me out.  (Since I had to take an early maternity leave.)  What do you think?  I think it's less work not to have to cook and clean up at home with a toddler. 

Re: Going out to dinner on bedrest?

• Options

can she get the food to go so you can eat it at home?

I thought bedrest meant bedrest, only leaving the house for Dr appts.

**** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Options
    Im saying this in the nicest way , and I wish you the best , but bed rest means ...to stay in bed . You dont want to risk anything do you ??? Can she just order a nice meal and bring it home for you guys that way you dont have to cook or clean up a mess ? I understand the urge to get out ,but its not worth it if the doctor says to stay put !!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Bedrest can mean different things. You need to ask your doctor.

However 99% of the time. Bedrest means leave the house for emergencies and dr appt's only.

and to be frank, You dont need to be worrying about the dishes and a toddler, its not your responsibility, it's your dh's or your mom. So no, risking your health is not worth anything.

I'm sorry you're on bedrest, but you have only 6 days left. yes it sucks, but you need to listen to your doctors orders and most people would assume if you are on bedrest it means no getting up other than to use the restroom shower or make a quick snack.

----------You know what? I had to come back to edit this because I keep coming back to how utterly RIDICULOUS you are.

You have been on bedrest ONE day. One freakin day, and you have one week to go. You have been freaking out about your BP for weeks on end and when the doctor finally does something and  tells you to rest and schedules your induction, you then think it could possibly be a grand idea to avoid dishes and go out to dinner. You're stir crazy, from ONE day of bedrest? You bitched yesterday about guilt about one week of income lost? Really, perspective. There are women who have been out of work for weeks, had to make HUGE sacrifices to keep their LO's safe and secure, and their families in tact.  

I think you need to refocus your concerns. Talk Stay in your bed, keep your BP low and let everyone else do things for you.

ETA- to add more comments

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Your doc is put you on bed rest for a reason.  Do what your doc says. How guilty would you feel f something were to happen while oit? Or if you got into a car accident? Tough it up and stay at home. Let you mom or DH take care of the chores and toddler.
  • Options
    I think it depends on what your doctor said. I am also on bed rest, but my doctor said I can have little outings once in a while, like dinner or going to a movie. Just not to do anything stressful and only things I can do while sitting.  So I would ask your doctor, as there are different degrees of bed rest.
  • Options

Did your doctor ok your going out to dinner?  If so, I don't see any reason why not, but I definitely would not go out to dinner unless the doctor specifically said it is okay.  I am on bedrest and I am supposed to by lying down on the couch as much as possible and can only leave the house for doctors appointments. 

It can't hurt to ask your doctor if it would be okay for you to go.  I asked for permission to go get my car seat installed so that I could learn how to install it without the base when necessary, and the doctor said it was okay.  But it will depend on what you are on bedrest for and how the doctor feels.  Also, I think the doctor considered learning how to get the carseat installed more important than going out to dinner (although of course DH could have done it himself if the doctor said no).

I agree with the PPs - why not have your mom get carry out from a nice restaurant?  My parents are coming to visit this weekend because I am on bed rest to keep me company and that is our plan.

Married to DH since 6/30/2007
    Me: 32  DH: 32
    BFP #1: 4/1/2010 DS born: 12/3/10
    TTC #2 since 5/2014
    BFP # 2 : 6/16/14 EDD: 2/25/15  Missed Miscarriage discovered 7/10/14 D&C 7/17/14 Pathology results normal
    BFP #3
    : 10/21/14 EDD: 7/6/15  11/24/14:  Saw heartbeat! 
    Missed Miscarriage discovered 12/22/14 at 12w0d D&C 12/23/14 Pathology: Partial Molar Pregnancy/Triploidy
    ~~Currently benched following PMP~~ 
    **all AL welcome**

image image
    TTCAL January 2015 Siggy Challenge:  Animals in the snow
    Scumbag Penguin

• Options
    I had the exact same thing happen with DD (was on bedrest for a week)...we went out to dinner and I even did a spa day with my mom...my OB said it was fine (as long as I had no headaches, blurred vision, swelling, etc)
    Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm gonna have to agree with Sarah...unless your Dr gave you the ok I think you better rethink some things.  I've been on bedrest for 4 weeks now and would love to go out to dinner but I'll suck it up a little more to keep LO put.  I'm on it for a shortened cervix and my Dr said it's ok for me to go to my parents or in laws for dinner as long as I'm sitting, he just doesn't want me on my feet for long periods and would rather me on my side as much as possible so that's what I'm doing.

If it's only been one day and your going this crazy your in trouble for the next few....Have Dh or you mom pick up food and bring it home...it's not for you to worry about the mess, your main concern is staying put for LO.

• Options
    I'm on "bed rest" but it's more like house arrest. I'm still able to move around the house and do small tasks like dishes and taking care of the dogs. I'm just out of work to keep stress levels down and take it easy since my issues are blood pressure related. I wouldn't go out if the issues you are having are with bleeding the baby threatening to fall out or anything.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageladipale:

can she get the food to go so you can eat it at home?

I thought bedrest meant bedrest, only leaving the house for Dr appts.

Agree...not worth the risk at all.

Have to add...I was in the hospital on bedrest for 6 weeks, I think you can handle one week at home...suck it up.

photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Options

Doesn't bedrest, mean bedrest not 'bed-rest-when-it's-convenient-for-you'?  

I wouldn't risk it...especially if your early maternity meant using disability at all. Tell her to bring it in to you and use paper plates...no clean up necessary. 

• Options

not that it's healthy advice,

but i was on bedrest for 10 weeks and went out to eat every so often...taking it as easy as possible.

if you are cooking and cleaning anyways especially!

if you decide against it, there's always take-out :)

by Lilypie
  • Options

Lurker here.  Just giving my 2 cents.  If you are on bedrest because of PIH, you definitely need to stay in bed.  The major risk with that is the risk of having a seizure due to abnormally high blood pressures.  True, headache and blurred vision are signs that your condition is worsening.  But is going out to dinner really worth the risk? 

Not trying to offend you or come across as judgmental.  I work in L&D, and too many times, we come across patients that have been diagnosed as having PIH, but the risks and the overall specifics aren't really clear to the patient for whatever reason.  Sit tight Momma, you'll be able to go out to dinner before you know it.

One last thing, if you are on bedrest at home, and your pressures are still being elevated, your OB could admit you to the hospital, and you'll be on bedrest there, until you deliver.

Hope this helps :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageSarahTx5701:

Bedrest can mean different things. You need to ask your doctor.

However 99% of the time. Bedrest means leave the house for emergencies and dr appt's only.

and to be frank, You dont need to be worrying about the dishes and a toddler, its not your responsibility, it's your dh's or your mom. So no, risking your health is not worth anything.

I'm sorry you're on bedrest, but you have only 6 days left. yes it sucks, but you need to listen to your doctors orders and most people would assume if you are on bedrest it means no getting up other than to use the restroom shower or make a quick snack.

----------You know what? I had to come back to edit this because I keep coming back to how utterly RIDICULOUS you are.

You have been on bedrest ONE day. One freakin day, and you have one week to go. You have been freaking out about your BP for weeks on end and when the doctor finally does something and  tells you to rest and schedules your induction, you then think it could possibly be a grand idea to avoid dishes and go out to dinner. You're stir crazy, from ONE day of bedrest? You bitched yesterday about guilt about one week of income lost? Really, perspective. There are women who have been out of work for weeks, had to make HUGE sacrifices to keep their LO's safe and secure, and their families in tact.  

I think you need to refocus your concerns. Talk Stay in your bed, keep your BP low and let everyone else do things for you.

ETA- to add more comments

this!!!!!!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ya, I agree with the PP's that say suck it up and stay in bed,  and why on earth, if you have been put on bedrest, would you have to cook and clean for your mother and DH? What the hell is wrong with them that they can't pitch in for a week for the health of you and your baby!?!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"