Anyone's LO start stuttering? — The Bump
Pre-School

Anyone's LO start stuttering?

DH pointed it out last night that he's noticed Monkey do this sometimes. I don't know if I'm just paying attention more or if it is just suddenly really obvious this morning.

Suddenly the end of his words get dragged out, almost like he's ticking. Like: I scared-d-d-d the bear away! or No, that-t-t my toy!

Anyone else noticing this in their DC? I'm not terribly concerned, he's been talking for quite some time now but the stuttering just started. I just wonder if this means he might start doing it more. Either way, if it continues I'm sure I'll cover it with our ped. 

Proverbs 12:10 "A righteous man cares for the needs of his animals ChipMonkey 3/19/08 *** Turtle 1/26/10 *** CarBear 10/06/11

Re: Anyone's LO start stuttering?

• Quite typical. Most kids go through a stuttering phase and it passes just as quickly as it comes.
  • We had the same concern- the pedi said it's totally normal and it's part of them expanding their vocabulary and having a lot to say but can't get it out quick enough.  She just said be mindful of not finishing their sentences- let them say what they need to. 

• Loading the player...
  • Griffin did this around 2.5y/o - from a word explosion - he had a really hard time with it - lasted about a month or two - and he was so frustrated with himself it broke my heart! But the speech therapists I know said not to worry- not to say anything to him about it - just give him time to talk and get it out (never finish sentences, never say "slow down" or anything).

the only time we said anything to him about it was when he'd get mad at himself - we'd just say "it's ok - you can say it when you're ready, your mouth is being tricky"... and that seemed to make him feel better.

then it just went away.

i know it's hard - but rarely is it a problem.

• Thanks everyone! Glad to know this is just another stage to expect to come and go.
    Proverbs 12:10 "A righteous man cares for the needs of his animals ChipMonkey 3/19/08 *** Turtle 1/26/10 *** CarBear 10/06/11
  • Stuttering is normal for kids.  They think a lot faster than they can get the words out.  If it lasts for more than 6 months, then you might want to mention it the ped but it is very normal.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards