Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

A prime example of how every pedi says something different....

So, my mom just called me to tell me how my nephew's 2 month doctor visit went. Here is what I found out:

The doctor told my brother that the baby is overweight because he is 13lbs. My DS was 12.5 at 2 months and my DD was 13lbs.

So, since he is "overweight" he needs to start cereal 2-3x a day.

The same doctor told them that he needed his tongue clipped to. However, I thought that was only an issue if you are breastfeeding? She is not.

Oh, and his circumcision needs to be re-done.

I guess my question is whether or not you would say something. My brother doesn't know any different, so he is just going to go with what the doctor says.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: A prime example of how every pedi says something different....

• Options
    I'd get a second opinion.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would tell them that they need to do some research of their own on that stuff and find a new pedi.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I totally agree with the second opinion.  The only thing I can really comment on though is the weight.  Even though 13# at 2 months isn't considered big, he might have grown at too rapidly of a weight which can indicate a problem.  So the doctor might be basing of his comment off of the birth weight till now.  (He would have to have started pretty small though for 12.5# at 2 months to be a problem). 

The cereal thing seems to be pretty ridiculous.  I'm guessing it's because rice cereal has few calories and may help him fill up more leaving less room for formula, but as a dietitian I think that is a poor excuse to start cereal on a 2 month old.

• Options

imagemkanderson85:
    I'd get a second opinion.

This.

Why would you give an "overweight" baby cereal?  And at 2 months!!  I would call and ask how the apt went and when he tells you, be like oh really, well my kids were whatever, and then suggest maybe a second opinion.  Maybe suggest your pedi if you are in the same area and you like him/her. 

• Options
    How does the pedi suggest feeding the child the cereal?  With a spoon or in the bottle?  I doubt my son would've been anywhere close to being able to take it from a spoon- he was still trying to hold his head up!
  • Options
    imagerlscheck:

I totally agree with the second opinion.  The only thing I can really comment on though is the weight.  Even though 13# at 2 months isn't considered big, he might have grown at too rapidly of a weight which can indicate a problem.  So the doctor might be basing of his comment off of the birth weight till now.  (He would have to have started pretty small though for 12.5# at 2 months to be a problem). 

The cereal thing seems to be pretty ridiculous.  I'm guessing it's because rice cereal has few calories and may help him fill up more leaving less room for formula, but as a dietitian I think that is a poor excuse to start cereal on a 2 month old.

I don't think they can gain too rapidly.  DS was 5 lbs. 13 oz. at birth and 12 lbs. at his 2 month appt.  The pedi said we were doing an amazing job with him and BF.

I agree, he really shouldn't be filling up on empty calories at 2 months old.  He should only be getting formula or breastmilk which has the nutrition and calories he needs to grow.

This is exactly why people need to be more informed rather than blindly following advice just because it comes from a doctor.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    My BFP Chart

• Options

I don't think that he has grown too rapidly. He was the same size at birth that my DS was (7.6lbs). I am guessing that the dr is hoping that by feeding him rice cereal, he will decrease the amount of formula intake. However, he honestly doesn't eat that much maybe 3-4 oz every 4 hours, while my DS eats about 6-7 oz every 4 hours.

This doctor is probably 80 years old. We went to him as kids. Unfortunately, he is one of very few doctors in this small town. Sad  I plan on calling my brother tomorrow. Hopefully, he will listen. Who knows.

• Options
    what is tongue clipped? That sounds weird...never heard of it. And my baby was 14lb at 2 months. The doc's actually spend effort on telling me he isn't too big and I have never been the least bit concerned.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagedelg23:
    what is tongue clipped? That sounds weird...never heard of it. And my baby was 14lb at 2 months. The doc's actually spend effort on telling me he isn't too big and I have never been the least bit concerned.

https://www.storknet.com/cubbies/breast/AS-tonguetied.htm

• Options
    I had my tongue clipped when I was 5 because they didn't do it when I was born (I was FF). It can affect speech.
  • Options

imagedelg23:

I was wondering this too.  But DS1 was 13lbs at 8wks and the doc never said anything about him being overweight.  DS2 is 14lb now at 4mo.   

• Options
    No comment on the feeding but the tonuge could actually be a problem without the BFing.  My niece was tongue tied and it was not discovered until much later and it caused major issues with her speech development. While a second opinion could not hurt, the tongue tie may jsut be something better to get done and over with if it is necessary.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagekatcarls:
    imagerlscheck:

I don't think they can gain too rapidly.  DS was 5 lbs. 13 oz. at birth and 12 lbs. at his 2 month appt.  The pedi said we were doing an amazing job with him and BF.

I agree, he really shouldn't be filling up on empty calories at 2 months old.  He should only be getting formula or breastmilk which has the nutrition and calories he needs to grow.

This is exactly why people need to be more informed rather than blindly following advice just because it comes from a doctor.

A baby can gain weight too rapidly which is why they monitor their growth through growth charts.  I should probably have done a better job explaining it.  Your baby was probably doing some catch-up with his weight from starting off so small.  So 12# isn't a problem.  If he continued to gain such high amounts though through the next few months it MIGHT be a problem. 

I don't know if OP's doctor thought it was best to slow down his weight gain or what.  Since I don't know the whole story I can't say if he was right or not, but I'm pretty sure that the pedi was crazy. ;)

• Options

I think 13lbs at 2 months is 80th percentile (or it was for ds who was 13,5 at his 2 month apt).  So not a big deal.  And the doctor only has three data points for determining growth at that point so I think it's unwise to jump to that conclusion so soon.

It could be however that the baby was below 20th percentile at birth and month 1 and when asked, found out that baby was eating 40+oz of formula a day and still seemed hungry.  In which case, the pedi's advice would have been okay.

I'm not sure about the tongue tie thing - but I'd always get a second opinion about surgery.

• Options

I just replied to another post about this same topic. Tongue-tiedness, or whatever its called, runs in my family.   My son has it and my pedi said they would not act unless it started to affect his speech.  My brother has it pretty bad and his was never clipped. He has no speech issues and he is now 18.

As for weight, my gigantic son weighed in at a svelte 14 pounds at his 2 month appointment. My pedi said it was in the 95th percentile and he was healthy.  We just have the babies that set the bar for the top of the growth charts!

• Options

imagestillhopeful:
    I had my tongue clipped when I was 5 because they didn't do it when I was born (I was FF). It can affect speech.

((peeks out from behind the lurker curtain))

Tongue-tied children often have speech delays because they cannot properly form words. I'm a SpEd teacher and we had a 3yo who still wasn't speaking because she had never had her tongue fixed. Speech Path couldn't even start the proper exercises with her until her parents had the surgery done.

Expect MIRACLES!! Shocking surprise BFP 9/12/12 After 2 IUIs, 3 IVFs w/ICSI and 1 FET we have been blessed with a healthy baby girl born 26 August 2010! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"