Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Respect for your Veterans... vent

I have so much respect for my veterans and I take memorial services for fallen soldiers very seriously.  Two of my close friends have been killed in active duty and I know how important our service men and women are to our country.

Today we had a veteran's day program and memorial service at school.  The veterans in the community were asked to come to the school and they were honored.  The students were all gathered and they were SO RUDE throughout the service.  They would talk and laugh and make noises during the moments of silence and prayers.  It especially made me upset during the moment of silence to remember those who have died and someone screamed and then everyone laughed.  It ruined a beautiful program.

I have always been taught to have respect for veterans and servicemen because THEY are the reason that I live the way that I do.  It BOGGLES MY MIND that so many of these students are not thankful or do not understand the commitment and sacrifice that these men and women make for the common good.  I got severely pissed after the program and now my students will all write an essay tomorrow about why it is important to respect the veterans of our country.    Ya know?  I mean, really.  Home training people!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Respect for your Veterans... vent

• Options
    Wow, that's bad.  How old are your students? 
  • Options

imagewifeofaussie:

Freshman.  It was mostly the freshmen too that were acting like a bunch of *sses during the program.  The upperclassmen GET it.  Ugh.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Oops, never mind, just looked at your profile.

Yeah, their behavior was WAY outta line.  I was kinda hoping you taught 5th or 6th graders or something.  At least then you could blame it on their age to an extent.  Still would've been bad but slightly more understandable.

• Options
    You should make them all to be completly silent during class since they cant respect the people that dies to give them the freedom of speech then they don't need to speak! 
  • Options
    imagemkanderson85:

imagewifeofaussie:

Freshman.  It was mostly the freshmen too that were acting like a bunch of *sses during the program.  The upperclassmen GET it.  Ugh.

Well, I guess that's the silver lining - hopefully these freshman will get it by the time they are upperclassman. That is awful. I would have been mortified.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I honestly would have stopped the assembly and threatened suspension to those being disrespectful and/or causing trouble. At my high school graduatation, some of my classmates got so out of hand that the entire class was threatened with withholding our diplomas and not allowing us to graduate.

Photobucket
    Nursed without dairy, egg, soy, peanut, treenut, fish, shellfish or beef for over a year.
    Currently tandem nursing dairy, egg, and shellfish free.
    DS born via emergency c/s after 20 hrs of labor. DD successful VBAC!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

Learning Liam
  • Options

Sorry, I'm lurking. 

That really is awful.  I have a sweet story that might make things a little better (one mom taught her son correctly):

I was a manager at a department store.  There was a man in the women's shoe department dressed in his BDU's shopping for his wife.  I heard a little boy maybe 5 or 6 years old, ask his mom if he could go shake the soldier's hand.  Of course, mom said go ahead, but ask him first.  It was the sweetest thing I've ever seen to see this little boy run up to the soldier and shake his hand.  I tear up every time I think about it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That is horrible...I'm disgusted by the way those students acted...and it makes my heart sad for those veterans.
    Brady (7.15.10) and Nolan (5.11.13)
  • Options
    The 3rd graders I teach wouldn't even be that rude.  How awful.
  • Options
    I was raised by my grandfather who is still alive today at 92 yo and is a WWII vet.  DH is also active duty air force.  It might not mean much but thank you for what you did with your class.  If even one person "gets it" and understands then perhaps that will be enough after they write their paper.  I'm suprised that some of their relatives are not vets and no better. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageMrsLink:

Sorry, I'm lurking. 

That really is awful.  I have a sweet story that might make things a little better (one mom taught her son correctly):

I was a manager at a department store.  There was a man in the women's shoe department dressed in his BDU's shopping for his wife.  I heard a little boy maybe 5 or 6 years old, ask his mom if he could go shake the soldier's hand.  Of course, mom said go ahead, but ask him first.  It was the sweetest thing I've ever seen to see this little boy run up to the soldier and shake his hand.  I tear up every time I think about it.

I teared up reading this!

• Options
    Wow, that's crazy how 9th graders act. We Never had that at any of the schools I went to. But I think they just thought they were "too cool" to have respect. I mean I remeber going to high school My freshman year I never listened to the teachers and was very disrespectful because I thought I was "cool" because I was a teenager in High School. Now that does not justify the fact that they were so rude. I would have never acted like that no matter how "cool" I thought I was. I love my freedom and I'm grateful for them for fighting for me to have it. I'm also glad that you gave them that assignment like a PP said you should not let them talk and make them be silent. A.holes
  • Options
    imagewifeofaussie:

Oops, never mind, just looked at your profile.

Yeah, their behavior was WAY outta line.  I was kinda hoping you taught 5th or 6th graders or something.  At least then you could blame it on their age to an extent.  Still would've been bad but slightly more understandable.

By 11 or 12, they should have been taught better.  I have a 6th grader, and I can guarantee she wouldn't even think of acting like that.

• Options
    I think you are doing the right thing by having your students write papers. I work in a high school and none of our students acted like that while the ceremony was going on. My sped (life skills) kids were at the ceremony, we raise a flag and the vets speak, and they were perfectly quiet and respectful. I like a previous posters idea about making them be perfectly quiet while writing their papers so they can fully understand the freedom our vets provide us.
  • Options
    It boggles my mind that the administration didn't stop the assembly in its tracks when the behavior started... and I'm sorry for that matter the teachers. DH's elementary kids wouldn't have been allowed to continue such behavior I don't understand why high schoolers were. The assembly should have been stopped and the behavior dealt with. I would make them right personal apologies to the vets that were there, they took time out of their day and didn't deserve that lack of respect.
  • Options

Freshman are a different breed. My dad teaches some freshman English classes, and he has hair-raising stories about how awful they are. He says it all seems to pass once they become sophomores though.

My high school was harsh about assemblies. If the school acted up we were put on lockdown---everyone---essays, detentions, take away the vending machines, etc. You essay is a good idea! 

DD1 (b. 8/16/2010)
    DD2 (b. 9/04/2013)
    BFP 2/25/12, m/c @ 6w 3d || BFP 8/1/12, m.m/c @ 9w5d
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"