Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

daycare pumping question...how much??

How do I know how much to give my LO at daycare? Today, I sent 20 ounces (four 5 ounce bottles) and I was shocked that he ate all of it. I thought I'd send more to see exactly how much he took, and he took it all. Then, he came home and fell asleep at 5pm and only took one breast prior to bedtime at 10:30pm, which tells me maybe we fed him a bit too much at daycare (ordinarily, he's a great feeder prior to bedtime). I'm waiting to see what the night holds, but curious re: what others think.

Re: daycare pumping question...how much??

• Options
    I think it all depends on how the night goes and if you are getting the wet/poopy diapers and if he seems happy. I had been sending 5 3 ounce bags of BM to daycare and then DH would feed him 3 ounces twice between bed when he got home and bedtime ( I work 12 hour days so DS is in bed when I get home). I was worried he wasn't getting enough and the last couple of days he was drinking the whole 15 ounces so I sent an extra 3 ounce bag today. He only ate 11 ounces at daycare and only 4 oz with DH and he STTN for the first time tonight. So who really knows with these babies! Like I said if the night goes ok and he is happy maybe he is just getting his calories during the day now and hopefully you can enjoy a good night! GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD started daycare when she was 3 months. I would send 4 - 5oz bottles and she is there from 7:45 till 4-4:30.  On the days when they would feed her all 4 bottles she would usually have alot of spit up in the afternoon and evening.  Then one day I got there to pick her up and a teacher (not the usual one that is in her room) was feeding her when I got there.  She informed me that this is the second bottle they have given her in the past 1.5 hours. They fed a 4 month old 10oz in 1.5 hours.  As I was leaving she spit up all over me, herself and the floor.  Again on the way home and at home.  I was not a happy mommy.  So after that I decided to give daycare a feeding schedule for DD and limit her bottles. I dont want to starve DD but I don't feel she needs to eat everytime she crys which is what it seemed like they were doing.  Now that she is on a schedule we have barely any spit up issues and a very happy baby.  Now I send 3-5oz bottles and she gets one meal of cereal and fruit in the morning and  2 bottles during the day and theres one extra bottle as a just in case we dont get there by 4 to pick her up or if DD is really just that hungry that she need an extra feeding.  Dont be afraid to tell your daycare what you want done with your child. Write it down and put it in there folder.  Rememder you are paying them good money to take good care of your LO they need to do what you want them to and if they dont want to follow what you want then maybe start looking for a new daycare.  GL
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

That seems like a lot.  Try the kellymom.com calculator.  Kellymom.com also has some tips on how to educate providers on bottle feeding a breastfed baby.  I encourage my provider to start with a 3 ounce bottle.  If he still is fussy offer the paci and try to distract him.  If he still seems hungry they offer an ounce at a time.  However, I have someone come to my home and it's only DS so I don't know if a daycare is willing to do it that way.

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I read up on kellymom, and I leave 3oz bottles.  She usually only needs 3, 3 oz bottles from 7 AM to 3 PM.  DD is 17 weeks.
  • Options
    I started sending 4-3 oz bottles, and she generally only takes 3 bottles. We hadn't given DD many bottles prior to daycare, so once she got used to them our DCP mentioned she seemed hungry after finishing one. I've been sending 3 bottles now, usually 5 oz, sometimes 4 oz. She's going close to 4 hours between bottles now, so I think 5 oz is about right. DD1 had 4 oz bottles at this age, but she only went 3 hours between feedings.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"