Multiples
Options

SAHM or part time moms

What sort of things are you involved in that get you out of the house and meeting people with kids your age? I work roughly 2 days a week and the rest of the time I'm home with LOs. I have plenty of single friends, married/kid-less friends and a couple working mom friends, but I don't really know other moms with babies to call up during the week to hang out with. I get out plenty with the LOs by myself, but it is to the gym or the mall and I'm looking for other things to do now that they are playing more. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: SAHM or part time moms

• Options
    I am home with only my son right now but we take music class, gymboree and attend a playhouse at our local school. There are open sessions for members at gymboree that we often attend when the weather does not allow us to go to the park.
    Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We just started doing gymboree, which I really like.  We have the monthly memebership, so we can go to classes/open gym time as often as we like.  Our town library also has great kid's activties, but for when they're a bit older (I think more like a year).  We also have a gym in our town that is specifically for familiess, and has a play zone for kids to use while moms work out, and has classes for mom and babies to do together (yoga, etc.). 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Our community center has classes and occasionally ones geared toward siblings.  Right now I go to Mommy and me and me and me music.  But I don't have much time to interact with other moms!! 

Honestly most of the mom friends I've met are from DD#1's preschool and from all the mom and me classes I did with her as an infant.  I had a hard time finding classes open to multiples...  I always meet interesting people at the playground, though!

• Options

We just moved so I'm in the process of getting myself (and the girls!) back out there!

Where we just moved from, I got involved with the local library that offered lots of "baby and me" classes. Tumblebees is another gymnastics type class that offers babies and mom. I actually met a great Mom friend (she had a singleton the same age as our DDs) serendipitously at a diner in town! We had both just moved from the city and were looking for friends and happened to be seated in booths next to one another. She asked me for my email and our play dates ensued. I'm glad she asked me for my # as we became great friends-as did our DDs! Friends sprout in odd places.

Does your town/city have a children's museum or a children's community center? Or if you like yoga or bootcamp classes, perhaps a gym/center offers those type classes for you and baby/babies? I know the YMCA offers classes (ours does from about 12 mo.+)

I haven't had any play dates per se with these moms yet but I've noticed lots of SAHM/ part time moms at them as we go out and explore at the city's museums, etc.

GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker,Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have met a lot of moms through Meetup.com. I belong to three mom's groups and there is something going on almost everyday of the week. Seriously, there is more stuff than I can keep up with! I try to do at least two events a week. This week alone there is/were walking the trails, cookie playdate, park playdate, brunch playdate, children's museum, zoo, and an indoor playground. We just moved here in June. Without meetup, I don't think I would have met anyone yet!

• Options

I have met a lot of moms through Meetup.com. I belong to three mom's groups and there is something going on almost everyday of the week. Seriously, there is more stuff than I can keep up with! I try to do at least two events a week. This week alone there is/were walking the trails, cookie playdate, park playdate, brunch playdate, children's museum, zoo, and an indoor playground. We just moved here in June. Without meetup, I don't think I would have met anyone yet!

There's also baby/toddler time at our local libraries, Gymboree, Little Gym, The Music Class, storytime at Borders, and local indoor play areas. I've been so busy with meetup events though that I haven't done any of these yet.

• Options
    I joined the local chapter of the mothers of twins association, and found a couple moms nearby with a toddler + twin babies and we started a playgroup.    I also know a bunch of women with kids my older daughter's age and we all met originally through our local knot/nest boards.  
  • Options
    I met up with a group of women through a local online commuinty. I was so happy to find them. They get together at least a couple times a week. I try to get out with them at least once a week, it would be more but I live 30 mins in the country from them.
  • Options
    We go to story times at 2 different libraries. There is also a museum type place that does $1 days once a month so we try to get there. Its going to get hard now that the weather is getting colder but I am hoping to keep going.
  • Options
    Play dates, library story time, errands, visiting Daddy at work, train table at Books a Million, and I have a Bible study group one morning a week I attend that has childcare, so they get a chance to play with their friends upstairs while I meet with other moms downstairs. Church nursery on Sundays, too, which is also good for socialization and a good way for me to meet other moms. :)
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options

Wow, they are getting to be such big boys!

Do you belong to your local MoM group?  Mine always has women wanting to set up play dates for certain neighborhoods or certain ages.  Just gong to the meetings is a nice way to meet other moms who know the deal.

We do story time at the library 1/week.  Occasionally I will go for a playdate.  Those kinds of things get much easier after they go down to 1 nap.  Our local science museum has a great toddler area, so we might check that out soon. 

Stroller Strides might be great too.  Since you live in AZ I'm thinking the weather is comfortable now.

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas. Next week I will for sure check some of those out. I just re-signed up for our MoM club. I was signed up when they were first born, but couldn't get out of the house easily, so I let my membership lapse. Also just looked at meetup.com. Lots of good ideas. 
  • Options

I got involved in a mom's group through meetup.com. You could check that out their are probably plenty of groups in your local area. I also use to be in a MOM's (mothers of multiples) club when I lived in Northern VA, I need to get connected with the local one here in FL, but just haven't done it yet.

• Options
    Where i live there is a "class" you can go to every other tuesday...kinda like a parenting group thing...its pretty neat...you get a chance to meet other moms
  • Options
    Does your school district have ECFE classes (Early Childhood and Family Education)?  We do this once a week ($30 per semester) for the Incredible Infants Class (birth to 7mo).  It's kind of like a mommy and me group, but since it's done though the school district you get more educational stuff geared toward their upcoming milestones, etc.  Next semester we'll do the movers class and I'm super excited about it.  I've met some moms in my area with kids the same age.
    bfp 5/17/09 - missed m/c 6/17/09 @ 9w - stopped growing 6w 1d, D&C 6/19/09
    BFP #2 10/13/2009 on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary
    Discovered TWINS during the 6w u/s - what a shocker!
    Delivered on 5/19/2010 at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Bump MoM Recipe Collection
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"