Multiples
Options

shortened cervix

Had an appointment today and my cervix is measuring 1.8cm. It was 3.9 cm 7 weeks ago. I am on work restriction (4 hours per day, no exercise, stay off my feet as much as possible).  Everything else looks good.  Twins are 2 lbs 6 ounces and 2 lbs 5 ounces.  I am 27 weeks, 1 day.  Anyone else experience this and what was your outcome?  Thanks!!!

Re: shortened cervix

• Options
    I was put on bedrest at 28 weeks because of a shortened cervix. It was 2.5cm when they put me on bedrest. I gave birth when the boys were exactly 30 weeks gestation, but that was due to chorioamnioitis (Taylen's placenta  and umbilical cord were infected).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My cervix was measuring 1.5cm at 20 weeks. I was also funneling and dilated/having some contractions. Had an emergency cerclage and was put on bedrest for the remainder of the pregnancy.  I gave birth at 35W, 5D. I could have gone longer but I had an infection so they went on and removed the cerclage and induced. 

Bedrest was really hard, but it worked. GL!!!! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you're between 22 and 35 weeks, ask your doctor to do a fetal fibronectin (fFN) test. If it's negative, you have a 99.2% chance that you won't deliver in the next two weeks. Definitely provides peace of mind even with a shortened cervix. Of course, it is FDA approved and tons of data to support it's use in multiple and singleton gestations. Check out the website for more info- www.ffntest.com.
  • Options

My cervix was at under 2 at my 26w4d u/s - due to this and contractions, I was admitted to the hospital for a week, then sent home after things were more under control.  I spent the next 8 weeks on strict bedrest (one of those was in the hospital), and made it to 36w6d. 

I probably could have made it longer, but I delivered due to pre-e and poor blood flow through my daughter's cord.  I never actually went into labor.

Bedrest worked wonders for me, and I was also on medicine (Nifedipine) for the contractions, which also helped.

Good luck!

• Options

Mine dropped to less than 2 cm at 23 weeks.  I went onto "modified" bed rest.  I was fairly militant in that I didn't do much around the house.  I didn't go anywhere.  I did sit most of the day with my legs elevated and did not have to lie down.

I made it to 36 weeks where I had a c-section for severe pre-eclampsia.  I probably could have made it longer.

Listen to your body and rest.  With a cervix shortened at that gestational age and twins, you are at much increased risk of preterm delivery.

Keep us updated!!

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • Options
    Mine shortened (and funneling) to 1.9cm at 23wks.  I'd already been on bedrest for 10wks.  Did a 4 day hosp stay, but the ffn came back negative and they sent me home to continue bedrest.  At 28wks, cervix was .5cm, did a week in hosp, and then after negative ffn they sent me home again.  Made it to 33w4d when I went into labor on my own.  Bedrest sucks, but everyday baking those babies is worth it.  GL!
    Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

My cervix was at a 0.8 and had funneling at 22 weeks. I was admitted to the hospital on strict bedrest and stayed for 10 weeks until I delivered the girls. Because my cervix sucked so bad, I was not allowed to sit up (even to eat!).

I feel extremely guilty because a few days before I had the girls, we had our weekly meeting with other long term Antepartum ladies and they did pedicures. I was feeling brave since I had already been in for almost 10 weeks, so I sat in a chair for it. (I usually was rolled in on my bed and laid on my side.) A few days later, I went into full blown labor. Not sure if that is the straw that broke the camel's back or that my body just finally gave out, but I still kick myself for doing that.

Bedrest can have amazing outcomes. My doctor and the doctors practicing at the hospital were completely shocked that I made it as far as I did with as little as I had. So yes, you can definitely do it. Although, my situation was a bit on the extreme side and does not have as many happy endings as I did. BUT, you are much furthur along and your cervix is longer than mine was.

Okay, enough with the rambling! Good luck and I hope your babies keep cooking for much longer!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"