Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

3 month old no longer sleeping. Please help.

Please help me. My 3 month old has forgotten how to sleep. He's already been through the 12 week growth spurt and is no longer eating super frequently. So it's not that.

He had been sleeping 8-9 hour stretches then they shortened to 6 hour stretches, which was still pretty doable. Now for the last 10-12 days though, he has been waking every 1-2 hours. I have no idea what's going on, but I am going crazy. I just spent almost 2 hours getting him down for a nap. He is exhausted, his eyes are red, and he's fussing a lot with his eyes closed.

I've heard of the 4 month wakeful, but he just turned 3 months so I hesitate to think that's what is going on.

Please give me your tips, suggestions, causes, anything you're willing to share, because I am at my wits end. 

TIA!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: 3 month old no longer sleeping. Please help.

• Options
    yep, same thing happened with Owen. I dont know why but I feel your pain:(
    someecards.com - I love the sound you make when you shut up. Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'd probably call the pedi and see what they have to say. I'm sure it would be something un-helpful like, "Yeah, they'll do that at that age," but who knows, they might have some ideas.

You might also pick up some sleep books. The mysteries and intrigue of baby sleep are just beginning to unfold. I got the No-Cry nap book and the Weissbluth book. Don't bother with the latter unless you like having your brain raped by inscrutable, disorganized blatherings. Dude's supposed to be some kind of respected authority in the pediatrics field but his writing makes no sense at all.

Anyway, my solution for these kinds of things is always to wait a week and watch it go away as mysteriously as it arrived.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We went through the same thing a few weeks ago.  It lasted almost a month.  It was rough.  All of a sudden, she flipped on her tummy and started sleeping.  Our pedi said that they try to find a way to sleep that is more comfortable--makes total sense.  Just wish she had figured it out earlier!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    exact same thing happened to us at 12w. it was the weekend before i returned to work from maternity leave. she was sleeping from 10pm to 6am for three weeks, and then BAM! she was waking up every two hours. it sucked. sorry, no solutions for you. we just rode it out!
  • Options

Ugh. My guy has never been a great sleeper, so I can sympathize.

Work on the nighttime sleep first, and the naps will hopefully follow. Can you at least get him to nap in your lap, the carrier, or the cat seat? Get his naps however you can for now to keep him sane during the day, and work on the nighttime stuff first.

Do you have a bedtime routine? Get that together first...you should be able to get ~4 hours from him in the beginning of the night, right? Is he hungry, or just looking for help getting back to sleep? 

If he's hungry, it may help to give him extra formula or expressed breastmilk pumped earlier in the day when your supply is better.

Also, maybe he'll resettle himself on some of those wakings...so wait a while before getting up to check on him and he could settle back down.

Would any of this work?

Good luck!

• Options
    My baby did the exact same thing. While I did not go full blown cry it out, we did let him go a couple of minutes before going in to settle him. We would not take him out of his crib. Just readjust and soothe. After about 3 nights, he started stretching and now get 12 hours a night (for the past 6 weeks). I know sleep training is not reccomended for babies this young, but it worked for us. We followed the book "12 hours by 12 weeks"
  • Options
    imageac_in_dc:

Ugh. My guy has never been a great sleeper, so I can sympathize.

Work on the nighttime sleep first, and the naps will hopefully follow. Can you at least get him to nap in your lap, the carrier, or the cat seat? Get his naps however you can for now to keep him sane during the day, and work on the nighttime stuff first.

Do you have a bedtime routine? Get that together first...you should be able to get ~4 hours from him in the beginning of the night, right? Is he hungry, or just looking for help getting back to sleep? 

If he's hungry, it may help to give him extra formula or expressed breastmilk pumped earlier in the day when your supply is better.

Also, maybe he'll resettle himself on some of those wakings...so wait a while before getting up to check on him and he could settle back down.

Would any of this work?

Good luck!

He's pretty good about falling asleep in the car so now that he's having trouble sleeping we're going on a lot of car rides.

We have a bedtime routine, but we are not getting a long stretch out of him at all. Nothing from the routine has changed. He seems to get tired at the same time as usual, he's such waking every 1-2 hours. 

I've tried just trying to give him the paci back and comforting him back to sleep. I've also tried waiting until his fussing turns into crying. It always turns into crying. The only thing that calms his is nursing. 

He doesn't always nurse for long and truthfully I'm not even sure how much I have left at night after nursing every 1-3 hours for the past 12 hours or so. I could try pumping, but he won't take a bottle. We need to work on that.

I'm considering giving him so rice cereal, which I feel totally guilty about. He does sit with assistance and has doubled his birthweight, which according to an early post I read can que readiness, but I was planning on waiting until 6 months to start solids. 

I know that something do not go as planned, but I don't want to give him something he's not ready for just to convenience myself. At the same time he is exhausted. He yawns and rubs his eyes all day long and I feel like I need to try it for his sake so he can get some sleep. I am totally conflicted.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageViolet_McPurpleson:

He's pretty good about falling asleep in the car so now that he's having trouble sleeping we're going on a lot of car rides.

We have a bedtime routine, but we are not getting a long stretch out of him at all. Nothing from the routine has changed. He seems to get tired at the same time as usual, he's such waking every 1-2 hours. 

I've tried just trying to give him the paci back and comforting him back to sleep. I've also tried waiting until his fussing turns into crying. It always turns into crying. The only thing that calms his is nursing. 

He doesn't always nurse for long and truthfully I'm not even sure how much I have left at night after nursing every 1-3 hours for the past 12 hours or so. I could try pumping, but he won't take a bottle. We need to work on that.

I'm considering giving him so rice cereal, which I feel totally guilty about. He does sit with assistance and has doubled his birthweight, which according to an early post I read can que readiness, but I was planning on waiting until 6 months to start solids. 

I know that something do not go as planned, but I don't want to give him something he's not ready for just to convenience myself. At the same time he is exhausted. He yawns and rubs his eyes all day long and I feel like I need to try it for his sake so he can get some sleep. I am totally conflicted.

We're about to hit 12 weeks and I feel your pain--not with night sleeping, but with daytime naps. She won't sleep long (30 minutes), and is tired all day. I called the pedi about that and a constipation issue--she hasn't had a BM in 9 days--and they suggested supplementing to try to rule some things out. 

I did it today and I felt so conflicted about it. But she slept. But I still feel conflicted. 

No solutions just...I feel your pain. I hope you find something that works!

DD1 (b. 8/16/2010)
    DD2 (b. 9/04/2013)
    BFP 2/25/12, m/c @ 6w 3d || BFP 8/1/12, m.m/c @ 9w5d
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"