Parenting after 35

NBR - how did you meet DH, SO, etc.?

Our 3 year wedding anniversary is tomorrow and it got me curious.  I'm enjoying posting/reading this board and would like to get to know you ladies a bit better if you're so inclined :) 

So, how did you meet your sweetie, how long have you been together and anything else you care to share.

DH and I met almost 6 years ago, via match.com.  Yep, we are an internet dating success story!  We were engaged less than 2 years later and now here we are with DD, celebrating 3 years of marriage :)  It hasn't been an easy road, his business tanked shortly after we got married due to the economy, but its true, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.  In a twisted way I'm sort of glad we didn't have a unicorns and butterflies first year, because I think now we can get through anything!  :) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: NBR - how did you meet DH, SO, etc.?

• We are a match.com success story too.  DH proposed after 5.5 months. We've been married for 2.5 years and have been together for a total of 4 years now.  He is a true blessing, I feel so lucky. We just wish we met when we were a little younger, but we wouldn't be the same people we are now. So we say good things come to those that wait.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • A million years ago, I was going to Berkeley and DH was working for a dot-com start-up in San Francisco. One night we met at a club in SF.  One year and a very long story later, DH and I met up with a friend who was visiting from out of town, fell madly in love and have been together ever since.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ditto Match.com. 

Due to scheduling conflicts and distance (3 hours apart), we were not able to meet for 6 weeks.  We talked every single day, for hours.  So when we had our first date, it was both anticlimactic AND full of butterflies. 

That first kiss..........at the very least equals Buttercup and Wesley

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • LOL -- far be it from me to buck the trend:  match.com as well.  I signed up for 3 mos and was on for a whopping 2 wks before I took down my profile (following DH's lead) after we had met.  We were engaged 4 mos later.  When you know, you know.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• I'm bucking the trend--sort of.  We met on JDATE! 

I'd been on and off the site for years. In 2005, I met my ex-fiance on the site and after we broke off our engagement (short courtship, even shorter engagement) in July 2006, I took a 3 month break to get myself together.

I rejoined JDate on Rosh Hashanah (late September) and started corresponding with DH a few weeks later. We had our fist date on October 18, 2006.  I wanted to take things slowly since I'd rushed into things with my ex, but as Pesky said "when you know, you know" and I was spending weekends with him from December 2006 on.

I moved in with him/he proposed on November 2, 2007--just one year later.  We were married 7.5 months later and I conceived Aaron in November 2008. My life has really changed in the last 4 years.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • I'll buck the trend (but just slightly).  We met on Myspace - he worked nights and I worked days, so we never would have met otherwise.  It took a while to get together, but it has been worth it.  Now three years later, we are still going strong.  Like pp, we wished we had met earlier, but then maybe we wouldn't have clicked at that time.

• Yet another Match.com success story here. We met in February 2007 and got married in Nov 2008.
  • Long, long ago in a galaxy far far away.....

I met my husband before he met me.  When I was 16 I attended state 4-H camp in WV.  My husband was 22 and a counselor.  He does not remember ever meeting me.  Fast forward 6 years and my husband was working as an EFNEP Program Assistant doing nutrition education in an urban setting and had to do day camps.  His co-worker knew me and recommended that I could work for him because I was in graduate school and did not have a summer job.  I did that summer and my best friend, to get me away from feeling depressed about a 6 year relationship that had just ended, started inviting him and I to the same places and acting shocked that we were both there.  She had a boyfriend at the time and thought if she was dating, everyone needed to be dating.  We started dating in 1991. he proposed in 1994 and we got married in 1995. 

• We first met in Boston in 2000 but didn't start dating until 2002. We lived together about 3 yrs before we got married in 2007. I wish we had started a family sooner, especially since we met when I was only 32, but those things take time, so we married when we were ready. Actually, DH was ready sooner than I was, for some reason I was afraid to get married, lol! But I'm so glad we did get married, DH is truly my soul mate and we are best friends. He's the best dad to Adrian and I feel like something is missing when we're not all together.

I'm looking forward to raising our little family together and maybe adding a 4th member soon Wink

Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Wow - lots of internet love stories here!

I live in a small town and therefore, have always known my DH. I was friends with his older brother, actually. Fast forward to legal drinking age, we were each other's booty call. Lovely, I know. A few years later, we tried dating - but he was still a little too young and immature. Few more years (I couldn't wait too much longer!) I wrote him a letter and told him how I felt about him. After September 11th, actually. I just couldn't get the thought of us being together out of my head. He finally came around, this time for real. I tell everyone that I chased my husband... and caught him. Married five years, together for seven.

PhotobucketPhotobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ::runs off to join match.com:: Stick out tongue
  • Wow, after reading everyone's story, I was starting to feel old about not meeting on the internet!  DH & I met at work.  I had just broken up with my boyfriend of 13 years, and was looking for someone never married, my age, no kids.  We met in 2003, married in 2007.  We still celebrate the anniversary of our first date instead of Valentine's Day.  He really is a good match for me, and such a wonderful dad.   
  • Wow, I feel so boring. DH and I met at......WORK. We both were waiting tables at the time over 10 years ago. It was kinda fun because we kept it a secret for a while and then finally came out. Here we are many moons later, a rare work romance success story.
  • If you ask my husband he says we met in high school.  This I don't remember.. he thought I was actually watching the soccer game ; )

We met in Boston, through a mutual friend in 1998 (the same friend from high school & the soccer game). He moved to Boston after he graduated from college & I had been living there since I graduated from high school. Been together ever since!  We got married in June 2004 & have three amazing boys & moved back to Connecticut to be closer to family.

Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • We met through friends. I was living in NYC, he in NJ. Our friends were dating, and my girlfriend came into the city to meet up with his guy friend. We went out as a group and H and I kind of started dating from then on. (we're still not sure if it was a set-up or not) This was in 1997! We had a breakup once for a few months, but got back together, were married in 2005, and now have wonderful little M!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH and I both attended the same large midwestern university at the same time, but did not meet until years later when we were both living in Colorado.  I was the head of the local alumni group and he showed up a couple of times to group activities, football games, etc.  I had eyes for his blonde friend, but it was the quiet, dark, brooding rocket scientist that I ended up with!

Started chatting and realized we had several mutual friends in a very weird, "small world" kind of way.   We slowly started dating, but I worked overnights in Denver and he was a 9-5 kind of guy in Colorado Springs.   Nearly didn't happen, but then I lost my job and found another in CS, so it started coming together.

Dated for several years and got married in 2004.  Can't be happier!

• My cousin WAS married to my husband's brother and that is how we initially met. We actually went out about 10 years ago. I was not interested at all. We met up again and I asked him out. I was shocked he even went because I never called him back! I was hooked since our first (2nd date)!

He always tells me had I said yes to a 2nd date 10 years ago we could have had 3 kids by now! HA!

• Oh I am SO boring.  DH and I met at a party, my GF had begged me to go since I had just broken up with my then fiancee.  I SO was not up for it.  I wanted to sulk in my own little world for a while.  We started chatting and then got together again, and again.  I moved in with him a year later (that was 1998) and we lived in "sin" (as my mother puts it) until 2007 when we got married. hehehe
    image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH and I met in a funny way back in 1994 (!!) in Boston. His roommate hit on me at a party and DH hit on my roommate. Neither were successful. Then his roommate started dating my roommate so DH and I were around each other a lot.  Fast forward a few months to me finally breaking up with my horrible college boyfriend and us sharing a tent at Woodstock and I was won over by his sweetness.

Since we both loved our lives (living with our best friends and within a few blocks of each other) we didn't feel the need to get married quickly.  We dated for 4 years, were engaged for two, moved out to Colorado and got married in 2000. 

• I was on match.com, but this is how I ended up meeting my husband:

DH was my neighbor at my old apartment building.  I had seen him a few times and I thought he was cute.  On the fourth of July 2005 I was at home gardening.  My friends had all gone camping and I stayed home because I don't like to camp.  I saw one of my neighbors outside and she told me that she worked with DH and he was a really great guy.  I told her I thought he was cute and to my surprise she told me he thought I was cute too and she encouraged me to talk to him.  I called my mom and told her about him.  Since he lived right across from the laundry room, she encouraged me to go down and do a load of laundry and to make a lot of noise in hopes that he would come out.  I took her advice and carefully applied my make-up and fixed my hair.  I went downstairs to the laundry room and made a lot of noise, but there was not a peep from his apartment.  I went back upstairs and called my mom again.  I decided I was going to knock on his door and pretend I needed a quarter for the washing machine.  I knocked on his door and he opened it with a sweet smile.  I saw that he had an aquarium and I love fish so we immediately started talking.  I asked him if he wanted to go watch the fireworks and he said no, he didn?t like fireworks.  Feeling disappointed, I went back to my balcony to watch the fireworks alone.  A little while later when the fireworks started he came outside after all!  We ended up watching the fireworks together and talked the night away.  I was immediately comfortable around him and I loved his honesty, sense of humor, and kindness.  We have pretty much been together ever since.  Shortly after meeting, we discovered we were born at the same hospital and delivered by the same doctor almost exactly a year apart!  We knew it must be fate, and we began to fall in love?

• Match.com, baby!
  • Online as well.  We met on yahoo personals, though, instead of match.

Started emailing June 2006, first date Aug 2006.  DH proposed in Aug 2007, we married in Feb 2008 and had DD June 2009.  Hopefully we will add #2 in 2011!

DD1 is 3, DD2 is 1.
  • He he...I remember doing this a few months back.  I love it!

DH and I met at a cigar bar.  My "gang" and I were regulars - it was a small place and we knew everyone and everyone knew us.  It was our home away from home.  I had been "single" for over two years and happily single at that.  My friends had been telling me I'd never meet anyone hanging out at "The Blue" (cigar bar) with them (two were married and two were a gay couple).

One day, DH showed up (when I wasn't there).  He used to frequent The Blue years before but had moved and didn't live as close.  His television had broken and he wanted to watch the football game (they have several tv's there).  Since he wasn't one of the regulars, my friends noticed him right away and started talking to him, found out he was single and told him about me (unbeknownst to me...).  Next time we were all there at the same time, my friends pointed him out to me and told me about him.  We were all on our way out to dinner, but they introduced us on the way out.  That was October 26, 2007.  We started dating soon after and he proposed that February.  We married the following February and Delaney was born two years to the day after we met - October 26, 2009.  A very special day in this house!

He is such an amazing husband and father - so kind and thoughtful.  He won me over when after our first date he noticed how much I enjoyed my pumpkin cheesecake I had for dessert.  He drove all over town looking for pumpkin spice coffee creamer and gave it to me the next time I saw him.  Any guy can get flowers or chocolate - but he got me creamer.  I knew he was the one after that. 

• Wow my story is pretty short and boring compared to some of yours...15 years ago I was dating DH's roomate then one day I hooked up with him and ditched the roomate, little slut that I was. Surprise  We dated for 4 years then got married when I graduated law school (he refused to marry me while I was still in school because we saw so many of our friends' relationships end during law school from the stress...)  So we've been married 11 years, this is my first marriage and his second (and hopefully final!) Yes

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Another match.com story here!  I had finally, after too many years, realized that my unrequited love for my best friend in college was never going to turn into anything, and I vowed to get on with life.  I joined Match.com and after only about a month and a half I was out of town for work and browsing profiles when the Match.com instant messenger popped up - and my future DH said "Hello, anyone there?"  Of course I immediately tried to find his profile but he didn't have one, the sneak!  He'd found my profile on the website and saw that I was currently online and decided to try and talk to me.  We chatted online for 2 hours that night and then again the next night, then exchanged email addresses and sent each other emails the rest of the week.  We had a nice coffee date at Starbucks that weekend and exchanged phone numbers, then talked every night for hours while I was out of town again (I used to travel every week for work).  We started getting together every weekend when I was home and by the time we'd gone on our third date we knew that we were heading into something special.

We met in October 2003 and in March 2005 moved in together.  He proposed in June 2005 and we got married a year later.  So we have been together for 7 years now, married for 4.  Like others have said, we've occasionally said that we wish we'd met earlier but both agree that we might not have been ready for each other earlier.  He is nothing like the type of person I would have thought I'd end up with when I was in my 20s, but when I met him I definitely realized how special and amazing he is and how lucky I am to have found him - or been found by him, as it turned out!

And I just want to say how cool it is there are so many Match.com success stories on here!  IRL none of my friends or family met their SOs online, so I kind of felt like an oddity when people would ask how DH and I met.

Eleanor Paige, born 3/27/08 Noah Christopher, born 10/2/10 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"