Multiples
Options

post c-sec: How long til you saw your LOs

Our hospital gave us an 'idea' of what the norm is to see your babies after a c-section.  Something around 2 hours after surgery.

Just wanted to ask your guy's experiences and why...

TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: post c-sec: How long til you saw your LOs

• Options
    For DS1, as soon as I was awake and in my room, they wheeled him in.  The twins were sent to the NICU, I was put in my room that evening and went to see them the next morning.  I didn't know what to expect and I was afraid to go see them, if you can undestand that.
    image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Saw or held? 

I immediately saw both of mine. I held my boy as soon as I got to my recovery room, approx 30 minutes after c-section. I held him for about 15 minutes, but then he had to go to special care as he was not breathing great. My little girl was taken straight from the operating room to the special care nursery. 

In general, our hospital allows you to have them in your room to  attempt to nurse, hold them as soon as you to your recovery room - which is about 30 minutes after surgery. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

As long as it took them to weigh them and wrap them up and give them to DH.  Maybe a few minutes at most?  I was able to hold them when they wheeled me back to recovery.  I had a scheduled section and only a spinal, so that might make a difference.

I was also able to try to BF not long after we returned to recovery.

• Options
    I think it probably depends on the situation and the condition of the babies. Ours were born 36w1d and they were with me in the room the whole time while they stitched me up. We then were all wheeled back to the recovery/ delivery room and the babies stayed there under the lights until we said they could take them to the nursery for the night. I was wacked out from the mag and the whole experience and I remember they were right in there trying to get the babies to breast feed meanwhile my motor skills were so mixed up from the drugs and swelling. So for me it was right away. I imagine if there was a need for the babies to be in the nursery for a bit they would not have been with us.
  • Options
    I saw them in the OR when DH held them. Then, I was able to hold them in the recovery room as soon as I was wheeled back there. After that, the babies never us..they even rode with me on the gurney when they brought me from the recovery room to my room in the maternity ward.
  • Options

Mine were born at 34w5d and were taken to the NICU right away.  I briefly saw them in the OR, and my husband was able to go with them.

I had them at 3, and I believe it was 7ish when I finally got to go down.  I had to get myself into a wheelchair and not puke before I could go.  The wheelchair part was fine, but I threw up twice and had to wait.  Apparently the NICU doesn't like you getting sick around the equipment or while holding babies.

• Options

For me, it was about 26 hours. Of course, I saw them very briefly in the OR, but because I delivered due to pre-eclampsia, I had to be on a magnesium sulfate drip for 24 hours, and I couldn't go to the NICU until that was done and I could get out of bed.

Fortunately, I guess, I was so out of it, the time went by fast. DH couldn't go see them because he had a cold. 

How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • Options
    I saw them in the OR, and then again when the versed wore off.  I was attempting to nurse about 1.5 hrs after surgery.
  • Options
    imageBelleBaby:

As long as it took them to weigh them and wrap them up and give them to DH.  Maybe a few minutes at most?  I was able to hold them when they wheeled me back to recovery.  I had a scheduled section and only a spinal, so that might make a difference.

This.

• Options

As soon as they were weighed and wrapped up, DH got to hold DS and they even gave me DD to hold  on my chest while they stitched me up. They both stayed with us the whole time. I held them in my arms as they wheeled me to recovery and I immediately attempted to breastfeed. They never left my side until I had them go to the nursery for a few hours during the night.

• Options

The nurses brought Baby C and Baby B over to see me in the OR shortly after they were born.  Maybe 15 - 20 mins.

My husband saw and took pics of all 3 in the OR.  Because the room was so crowded, the nurses were not able to bring Baby A over to me.  I saw her about 2 hours later. 

• Options
    Besides seeing them in the O.R. as they were born, I was able to see them as soon as I was wheeled into recovery. They brought them to me and I breastfed immediately. I had a scheduled-c. Neither baby needed any NICU and came to the room with me.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had a scheduled c-section. After DD1 was weighed and swaddled in the OR, she was brought to me and my DH for photos and for DH to hold. DD2 started grunting which can mean breathing issues, so they whisked her into triage for oxygen and monitoring. My DH went with her. The anesthesiologist (who my DH works with) held DD1 for us and she never left my side. DD1 came with me into the recovery room and I was able to BF her. I didn't get to see or hold DD2 for 4 hours. They had to make sure she was stable, get her blood sugar levels regulated and bathe her.
  • Options

I saw them in the OR- kissed their faces, and then DH went with them to the nursery.  I was put in a recovery room outside the OR and was monitored for about an hour.  I was then taken to my room and they brought them in once we were settled.

I'd say it was about 1.5 hours after I kissed them in the OR because it took about 30 minutes to close me back up.

They got my Mom from the waiting room and she sat with me during recovery.  Then she went back to the waiting room with my family and waited until DH and I held the babies together in my room, and I attempted BF.

I had a scheduled c-section.

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageamanda31H:

I saw them in the OR- kissed their faces, and then DH went with them to the nursery.  I was put in a recovery room outside the OR and was monitored for about an hour.  I was then taken to my room and they brought them in once we were settled.

I'd say it was about 1.5 hours after I kissed them in the OR because it took about 30 minutes to close me back up.

They got my Mom from the waiting room and she sat with me during recovery.  Then she went back to the waiting room with my family and waited until DH and I held the babies together in my room, and I attempted BF.

I had a scheduled c-section.

This for me as well. Good luck!

• Options

it was within an hour...  i was in recovery for about 45 minutes- then wheeled to my room... and about 5min later they were brought into my room (since they were born at term and had no problems).

i did see them when they were taken out of my belly... and then they wrapped them and brought them to me to kiss and touch before taking them to the nursery.

• Options
    imageBelleBaby:

This. I've not read through all of the replies yet, but I have no clue WHY you would have to wait 2 hours to see/hold your babies (as long as there aren't any complicatoins).
  • Options
    Due to complications from my epi, high BP, being bedridden for 24hrs post-delivery (Mag Sulfate) and babies being in the special care nursery (feeding issues), I did not see DD until 2 days after delivery. Even then, they only brought her in for 15 min. I did not see DS until 3 days after delivery. It was not at ALL how I had envisioned nor planned on it being. Despite telling DH my 'wishes' (we get bonding time, etc.) most family members were able to see them before I was. Not ideal at all.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    imageAussie*s_Mom:
    imageBelleBaby:

This. I've not read through all of the replies yet, but I have no clue WHY you would have to wait 2 hours to see/hold your babies (as long as there aren't any complicatoins).

Well they said anywhere from 30 mins - 2 hours... Baby B has a cleft lip and he has to be assessed for the severity and cleft palate as well... not sure if maybe that's why.  I just figured it took ME a while to recover??? 

• Options
    imageAussie*s_Mom:
    imageBelleBaby:

Well they said anywhere from 30 mins - 2 hours... Baby B has a cleft lip and he has to be assessed for the severity and cleft palate as well... not sure if maybe that's why.  I just figured it will take ME a while to recover??? 

• Options
    I got to see both babies shortly after they were born, and then they hung out with DH and I while I was in the recovery room waiting for the spinal to wear off.  I was in the recovery room about 45min to an hour after the surgery.
  • Options

As they were delivered my Dr. held them up over the curtain to see.  They needed to go to the NICU but they brought each baby over once wrapped up so I could see and kiss them real quick.  DH went with them.  I was closed up which took about 30 min and then wheeled to recovery.  DH went back and forth from me to NICU a few times to keep me updated.  I was in recovery for about an hour.  They wheeled me (on the bed) into the NICU before they took me to my room.  I only got to see and touch Charlotte because she need breathing assistance.  But I was able to hold and nurse Colette right away.  It all depends on the circumstances...and how pushy you are to see them!

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imageanyalee:

As they were delivered my Dr. held them up over the curtain to see.  They needed to go to the NICU but they brought each baby over once wrapped up so I could see and kiss them real quick.  DH went with them.  I was closed up which took about 30 min and then wheeled to recovery.  DH went back and forth from me to NICU a few times to keep me updated.  I was in recovery for about an hour.  They wheeled me (on the bed) into the NICU before they took me to my room.  I only got to see and touch Charlotte because she need breathing assistance.  But I was able to hold and nurse Colette right away.  It all depends on the circumstances...and how pushy you are to see them!

You bet imma be pushy then...  :)

• Options
    I saw them that evening. My c-section was 8:50ish AM and I saw them around 5ish or so. They were in the NICU. I didn't hold them or anything until the next day. I held them and spent some time with them.
  • Options

I just delivered my duo Friday.  I saw them in the operating room, but they were taken to the NICU since they were only 34 weeks 3 days gestation.  I didn't get a chance to see them until 8pm Saturday and that was just a brief visit.  I had-and still am having - high BP issues so I was not allowed to see them until I was moved out of Labor and delivery on Saturday.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"