Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

MIL - babysit both kids?

WWYD? DH and I want to attend a class just down the street tomorrow. Could take baby, but it's during his bedtime (7-8:30 class). MIL will be coming to babysit. She's never put them both to bed by herself, and neither have we, since DH has been available every night to put our toddler to bed. He has a fairly long routine, several books, playing in room. LO usually nurses to sleep and has only been put down by someone other than me twice (and he's not great with a bottle). I'd really like to give it a shot, but I do anticipate that it will be a tough experience for both boys and for MIL, who isn't as...instinctual on soothing as my own mom. Would you have her try anyway?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: MIL - babysit both kids?

• Options
    Could you leave the class if necessary?  I just always make sure my MIL feels very comfortable to call if there's an issue.  One time we left DS with her and he screamed the entire time.  I was relieved to receive a call from her asking us to come home.  She felt awful, but I'd much rather receive that call than find out that she couldn't get him to stop crying and we were out for hours!
  • Options

If she doesn't mind, I would let her try. DH and I will be celebrating our 1yr wedding anni this weekend and I felt so guilty ask my parents to watch both girls overnight since no one besides us have ever done it. I mentioned to her that we may just take DD2 with us and she insisted that we leave both girls with her. We won't be that far away and if DD2 has an inconsolable meltdown, we can always come get her or help out. My Mom really wanted us to enjoy our time apart from the girls.

Since your class is only 90 mins, I think your MIL would be okay.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Why not?  If she's willing I don't see how it could really hurt anything.  Especially if you're just down the street for a short time.
  • Options

I would do it. It might work out just fine, and if not, you won't be gone so long or be so far away that nothing can be done.  You never know when a situation might arise where you HAD to do this, and I think it would be nice for your MIL to have had the experience when you are easily reachable.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't see why not, if your MIL is ok with it.  And if you are able to leave mid-class that makes it even more doable.  But since the class is only 90, should be fine. 
  • Options
    Good points, ladies. Will give it a shot. She tends to not call when she probably should, but I'll reinforce we WANT the call if he's really upset.
  • Options

I struggled with this decision when my DS2 was around 2 months, and ultimately decided to go for it.   We've done it a couple times since then and it's went fine.

My reasoning for deciding to do it was : if someone is WILLING to watch my 2 kids, and reasonably competent/trustworthy, why not give it a shot?   Smile

I'm also pretty surprised you've never done the bedtime routine by yourself!

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

If she's coming to your home then I say it's very possible! Both DH and our babysitter have been able to get the two down on thier own several times. It may take an extra 45mins over what it takes me but that's not too bad at all, imo.

Now, when we bring both or even just one kid over to MILs they do not sleep. I personally think it's because she doesn't go anywhere quiet to lay them down; she tries while the bird is chirping and the chihauhau is barking in her living with the TV on at that (and while the kids are used to noise, those particular noises are not common in our house when they are trying to fall asleep).

All that was to say I'd still bring them over to your MILs and let her give it a shot because you never know. But just assume they won't sleep and 'eh', they'll have a late bedtime and they'll catch up on sleep the next day. And if it's unsuccessful, you just won't do it too too often in the future.

• Options
    imageEMWindy:

I'm also pretty surprised you've never done the bedtime routine by yourself!

I'm spoiled. ;) Ive offered, but DH really likes putting DS to bed now. Although he usually winds him up more than settling him down...hence the lengthy routine!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"