Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

BM Supply - WWYD

Good Morning Ladies,

DD is over 4 months now (18.5 weeks) and I am noticing a dramatic drop in my bm supply.

She seems fine on her liquid diet, when she's getting enough but sometimes it's just not there so should I try to increase my supply, start supplementing with formula or start her on cereal?

We have been trying to work on her sleeping through the night and skipping that first feed (that she doesn't need) but I think the lack of sleep on my part and her feeding less often is adding to the problem - WWYD.

Thanks!

PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BM Supply - WWYD

• Options

They say cereal at night doesn't help with STTN.. and for me so far this seems to be the case.

I would try to increase your supply by pumping..... But there is no harm in trying cereal if you feel your LO is ready... can't hurt!

• Options
    When you suspect she's not getting enough, allow her to nurse longer. It will tell your body to produce more.Or pump a little after each feeding.
    Lovin' Life: M+D 7/06, T 1/08, B 5/10
    Getting back to it- my diet and exercise blog
    Losing it...Without Losing it
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageMere7706:
    When you suspect she's not getting enough, allow her to nurse longer. It will tell your body to produce more.Or pump a little after each feeding.

This, and you can try drinking more water, or adding nursing tea, or fenugreek

• Options
     found at night I can't give her enough.  She'll nurse for 20-30 mins and then shes still hungry so i suppplement with my freezer stash or formula.  I tried pumping a few weeks back and got hardly nothing.  Shes satisfied during the day just at night she wants to power eat.  she also sleeps from 7:30-4 then eats then back to bed until 8-8:30.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

imagejenxoxoxo:
     found at night I can't give her enough.  She'll nurse for 20-30 mins and then shes still hungry so i suppplement with my freezer stash or formula.  I tried pumping a few weeks back and got hardly nothing.  Shes satisfied during the day just at night she wants to power eat.  she also sleeps from 7:30-4 then eats then back to bed until 8-8:30.

Remember it's a supply and demand kind of thing. If you're not stimulating more production, you won't produce more. If you continue to supplement, you will run out of your stash and then not have anymore to feed her.  I suggest adding a pumping session in at night- even if you don't get anything, you just need to stimulate your body to make more. Your body will let down some as she nurses, if you nurse longer. 

Also- oatmeal is a great supply increaser- any form. I used to eat the Nature Valley granola bars (crunchy ones) every day and my supply went up.

Lovin' Life: M+D 7/06, T 1/08, B 5/10
    Getting back to it- my diet and exercise blog
    Losing it...Without Losing it
  • Options

If it were me I'd wake to pump when she sleeps longer.  I know that sucks, but if you are determined to keep BFing then you gotta do what you gotta do.  Are you driking enough water & getting enough healthy calories?

I wouldn't introduce cereal b/c of this.  You are supposed to BF right before LO eats anyway b/c foods aren't about nutrition when you BF they are about experimentation & learning to eat.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"