Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

If you make/ freeze your own baby food...

Do you ever microwave to thaw? If you take it with you to feed when you're not home, do you take a frozen portion or thawed? How do you prevent freezer burn on cubed portions? I put cubed carrots into a freezer bag but they already look like they have freezer burn. DD has loved avocado and carrots so far! Thanks!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: If you make/ freeze your own baby food...

• Options

I use these.

https://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?SKU=117847&

They are individual cubes that have their own lids, but you can store them in the freezer on the tray.  At night, I take out what I will need for the following day and then let it thaw in the fridge.  They are also microwave safe. Right before I feed DD, I either heat it for 10-15 secs in the microwave, or warm it in a warm water bath.  I prefer not to microwave, but have done it occasionally. 

Baby #2 on the way! Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wonder if foil over an ice tray would prevent freezer burn??
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I read that the cubes will get ice crystals on them in the freezer bags, but this isnt freezer burn and doesnt affect the food quality at all.  is that what you could be seeing?
    DS1 5/2010, DS2 11/2012
  • Options
    imageseandeann2005@yahoo.com:
    I wonder if foil over an ice tray would prevent freezer burn??
    After they are frozen, I take them out and put them in a freezer bag. That's when they are in bags

• Options
    imagejust.a.lurker:
    I read that the cubes will get ice crystals on them in the freezer bags, but this isnt freezer burn and doesnt affect the food quality at all.  is that what you could be seeing?
    Yes!!

• Options
    I freeze in 4 oz tupperware containers instead of ice cube trays.  One container lasts about a week, so I just pull one out of the freezer on Sunday use it the rest of the week.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagekategw:

I use these.

https://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?SKU=117847&

They are individual cubes that have their own lids, but you can store them in the freezer on the tray.  At night, I take out what I will need for the following day and then let it thaw in the fridge.  They are also microwave safe. Right before I feed DD, I either heat it for 10-15 secs in the microwave, or warm it in a warm water bath.  I prefer not to microwave, but have done it occasionally. 

How many sets of the cubes did you buy? Or do you only make and freeze small amounts?

Baby #3
    BabyFetus Ticker>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"