Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Those who have sleep-trained/been through 4-month wakeful...

How do I know if it's the right time to train? How do I know if this is just bad sleeping habits, or if this is the 4-month wakeful? If it's 4-month wakeful, it seems to be lasting a long time.

Background: Up until a month ago, DD would sleep 4-41/2 hrs for her first stretch, then 3 hours, 3 hours, 2 hours, wake.  During this time she would eat on demand anywhere from every 2 hours to going as long as 4 hours between. (BTW, I can't believe I complained about that! I would KILL for her to go back to that schedule!)

The last month, DD has been eating every 1-2 hours during the day and waking up every 2 hours at night (at least) for the past 2-3 weeks (it's all a blur).  On the positive side, she has grown like CRAZY during this time. But, she's also much more cranky during the day. I want her to be happy too, ya know?

So,for the benefit of our whole household, I'd like to start sleep training, but I don't know when the right time is. I don't want to be cruel to her and do sleep training when she's not ready for it.

I guess what it boils down to, is I know that sleep training is difficult, and I don't want to be in the middle of it wondering if I'm trying to train her when she can't help being awake.

ETA: I have been treating her for teething, just in case that's the problem. I give her baby orajel and (non-recalled) teething tablets before bed. Still no dice.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyName Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Those who have sleep-trained/been through 4-month wakeful...

• Options

Honestly, as a general rule of thumb I personally don't support people sleep training infants younger than 6-9 months. However, you know your kid better than anyone on the internet so take what others say with a grain of salt. I would read up on it and try it out if you feel that she's sleeping poorly enough and it might benefit everyone in your household. I'm sure you'll know pretty quickly if she's ready or not once you start.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Well, this is not going to be a very helpful post because i could have written the same exact thing myself!!!  I too am at a loss, but don't really believe in the whole sleep training thing until they're older.  My attitude is kind of, if she's hungry she'll eat, if she's tired, she'll sleep and if she's not, she'll be awake!  Like I said....not much help I know, but I just posted to commiserate and let you know you're not alone!  I've been trying to start solids in hopes that it will help (my DD is HUGE!), but her tongue thrust is still way too strong.  Also, I hear you on being in a fog...somedays after work my DH will ask, "so, how often was Sofia up last night?"  and honestly some days I can't even remember :-)  This too shall pass and what I learned from DD#1 is that looking back on these phases, it seems like they were over in a blink of an eye....so, best of luck to you, and to me, that we get through this in one piece (with still a little bit of sanity!)  BTW, my DD wore the same Halloween costume this year and her big sister was Little Bo Peep.  Your DD is so cute!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"